PDA

View Full Version : Flow from Jowo 1.1 #5 and #6

Woody
February 3rd, 2017, 07:58 AM
I'm always having to adjust the Jowo stubs. Not a complaint but most the of 1.1 run a little dry - the flow can't keep up with the nib. Anyone else do a DIY on the Jowo? Also I wonder about the Franklin SIG nibs - I wonder if there flow tested at all?

-Bill-

DaveT
February 5th, 2017, 07:30 AM
I have noticed the same thing on the #5 1.1mm. But surprisingly the #5 1.4mm seem to write real well.

I can't figure out why the 1.4 is more consistent than the 1.1.

Woody
February 5th, 2017, 08:28 AM
Dave .. I usually check the gap between the feed and nib first, then take apart the unit and loosen it up. A couple of times I've adjusted the feed channel as well. In general the flow isn't there to produce a smooth writing experience. I don't think I've got a 1.1 that didn't need adjusting. I've got no experience with the 1.4. I haven't compared the jowo nibs from different etailors. I'm wondering if FC checks their nibs for flow, the SIG nibs for example.

Woody
February 7th, 2017, 06:00 AM
Then adjust for the kind of ink used. Forgot that. Dryer ink needs better slow.

HoLmeslice
February 10th, 2017, 07:04 PM
I currently have a handful of Jowo nibs which were a bit dryer than I prefer, and I was just about to give up on my 1.1 stub and Masuyama BCI. Honestly, the idea for doing some tuning myself didn't even cross my mind, until I saw this thread. So, I submit my hearty thanks to everyone involved; I now have a group of nibs which writes much more consistently than before.

Woody
February 21st, 2017, 06:18 AM
I have noticed the same thing on the #5 1.1mm. But surprisingly the #5 1.4mm seem to write real well.

I can't figure out why the 1.4 is more consistent than the 1.1.

Good question there. That wouldn't make sense unless the nib / and or / the feed is slightly different, and not in a manufacturing way.

Woody
February 21st, 2017, 06:27 AM
I currently have a handful of Jowo nibs which were a bit dryer than I prefer, and I was just about to give up on my 1.1 stub and Masuyama BCI. Honestly, the idea for doing some tuning myself didn't even cross my mind, until I saw this thread. So, I submit my hearty thanks to everyone involved; I now have a group of nibs which writes much more consistently than before.

Holmes - did you just adjust the nib, or the feed? If you adjusted the nib did you have to smooth it out again?

HoLmeslice
February 21st, 2017, 10:07 AM

Holmes - did you just adjust the nib, or the feed? If you adjusted the nib did you have to smooth it out again?

The two nibs I focused on wrote really dryly, and it didn't matter what type of ink I used, they'd frustrate me to no end as I'd begin taking notes or during general writing/journaling work. As a University student, you can imagine my frustration while attempting to take class notes only to have the respective pens dry out in the middle of note taking. The steps I took focused primarily on the nibs themselves.

I gathered a few tools (some "grippy" material for removing nibs/feeds, brass shims, paper towels, scrap paper, and a loupe w/ light source) & took action as follows:

First, I watched a handful of nib adjustment videos on YouTube, (from sources such as SBREbrown, Matt at the Pen Habit, etc), to get a better idea on how to proceed.

Next, (once I mustered the nerve to do so) I carefully disassembled the nibs from their feed collars, observed the gaps between the tines, or lack thereof, and flossed those nibs repeatedly with the brass shims until the nibs had what I considered to be an appropriate gap between them (gauged by the amount of light which passed through the slit in the nib from breather hole to tip). Upon finishing this, I did my best to make sure the nibs were aligned, placed them together with their respective feeds and placed them back into their nib collars. Since these adjustments, both nibs write wetter and much more consistently than they did before.

Hopefully, this helps you out. If all else fails and you're not comfortable with doing the work yourself, I recommend seeking out a respectable nibmeister, to assist you with your adjustment needs. Good luck with your efforts!

Peace & God bless,
Quinton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody
February 21st, 2017, 07:25 PM

The two nibs I focused on wrote really dryly, and it didn't matter what type of ink I used, they'd frustrate me to no end as I'd begin taking notes or during general writing/journaling work. As a University student, you can imagine my frustration while attempting to take class notes only to have the respective pens dry out in the middle of note taking. The steps I took focused primarily on the nibs themselves.

I gathered a few tools (some "grippy" material for removing nibs/feeds, brass shims, paper towels, scrap paper, and a loupe w/ light source) & took action as follows:

First, I watched a handful of nib adjustment videos on YouTube, (from sources such as SBREbrown, Matt at the Pen Habit, etc), to get a better idea on how to proceed.

Next, (once I mustered the nerve to do so) I carefully disassembled the nibs from their feed collars, observed the gaps between the tines, or lack thereof, and flossed those nibs repeatedly with the brass shims until the nibs had what I considered to be an appropriate gap between them (gauged by the amount of light which passed through the slit in the nib from breather hole to tip). Upon finishing this, I did my best to make sure the nibs were aligned, placed them together with their respective feeds and placed them back into their nib collars. Since these adjustments, both nibs write wetter and much more consistently than they did before.

Hopefully, this helps you out. If all else fails and you're not comfortable with doing the work yourself, I recommend seeking out a respectable nibmeister, to assist you with your adjustment needs. Good luck with your efforts!

Peace & God bless,
Quinton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you Quinton. I always mess around like that. I'm a master at destroying feeds and I'm just into grinding a couple of broads to stubs. I've got 4 nibs that I like a lot. I've got a couple of SIGs coming from Franklins. When I write I turn the nib to my left, counter clockwise so I usually grind a little bit off the left tine to adjust for smoothness.

Woody
February 21st, 2017, 08:29 PM
Here's what you need Quinton. The lansky sharpener for grinding. Dyi. https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=lansky+sharpener&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=144994165802&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10720350194147263548&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001236&hvtargid=kwd-20080873&ref=pd_sl_58oxjeta2o_b

Bill