PDA

View Full Version : Diamine inks - great - any thought about the precipitates

Eclectica
March 25th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Hi,

I have recently purchased 10 Diamine inks and am very pleased with the colours. :D However, the 'Orange', 'Marine', and 'Deep Magenta' show minor precipitates on standing for 24 hours.
Presumably, these could potentially clog the fine galleries within the pen prematurely and necessitate extra cleaning cycles?

Would it be a good idea to decant the supernatant and discard the sediment portion, or am I just being over cautious (I have been called that before BTW!).:)

Regards,
Eclectica

fountainpenkid
March 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I would be careful...though I haven't had any precipitates yet from Diamine inks...though my bottle of "Coarl" has an oily substance floating at the top...it has been in the sun before.

If you are using a modern pen that isn't too expensive and you can take apart easily, I would just give it a good flush....but I wouldn't risk it with vintage pens.

Tracy Lee
March 25th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I stay away from Diamine Ink. I ended up withe a nasty gloppy "floater" in the converter of my Delta Dolce Vita and the nib just doesn't flow at all like it once did. I have soaked and flushed and now I need to send in for repair. Clearly something is "stuck" in the nib section. Kind of creeped me out to be honest. But they are permanently off my list of inks now. I have had issues with cartridges, too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

writingrav
March 25th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Oh boy. I use a lot of Diamine inks and haven't had a problem but now I'm worried.

KrazyIvan
March 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
The only Diamine ink I have reservations about is Ochre. It has a pinkish red component that precipitates out and stained my Konrad. Everything else I have used (Asa Blue (my favorite), Red Dragon, Syrah, Saddle Brown) seem okay.

gwgtaylor
March 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I have Oxblood, Sherwood, aqua and twilight. All are clean and well behaved akin to waterman inks. I'll check the ink a little more carefully before filling in future

manoeuver
March 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM
If you're not part of the precipitate, you're part of the solution. congratulations.

sorry.

miatapaul
March 25th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I stay away from Diamine Ink. I ended up withe a nasty gloppy "floater" in the converter of my Delta Dolce Vita and the nib just doesn't flow at all like it once did. I have soaked and flushed and now I need to send in for repair. Clearly something is "stuck" in the nib section. Kind of creeped me out to be honest. But they are permanently off my list of inks now. I have had issues with cartridges, too.

Their was an issue but I thought it had been resolved with a new formula.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
March 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I've never considered Diamine inks unsafe...at all...but this raises questions.

southpaw52
March 25th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I have never had an issue with Diamine inks. They my top tier inks. It amazes me how when anyone has an issue with their pen it is the fault of the ink immediately. Then it starts a domino effect that all the inks from xz are no good. With the amount of ink being manufactured, I would believe less then 2% has any issues. Personally I think that ink issues play a less then 2% of issues with a pen.

I think personally we make the ink the scapegoat for problems. I think proper pen hygiene plays the biggest role. Secondly how the ink is stored. Is it exposed to heat, sunlight etc. I do not think there is any reason for creating urban legends or hysteria for the ink.

gwgtaylor
March 25th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Hysteria when you're near... Yeah. Diamine rocks.

Toffer
March 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I haven't had any problems with any of my Diamine inks, or other inks I have. I haven't cleaned any out since I have put them in either and some have been in over a month!! Shocking :p

Eclectica
March 25th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!
- on balance I'll consider myself as being over cautious, after all, it is only really minor precipitation - just visible when you tilt the bottles.:rolleyes:

:)

FP_GaF
March 25th, 2013, 11:06 PM
You may want to add some water to the ink to dissolve the access dye (that's what the precipitate is). I suggest distilled water (from the drug store?) to avoid any contamination (mould etc.). If you do add the water slowly and in small amounts. You don't want to water down the ink too much.

Tracy Lee
March 26th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Their was an issue but I thought it had been resolved with a new formula.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I do hope it's fixed now, this was maybe a year ago? But when it comes to me and my pens and their care and feeding, once is all you get with me. Plenty of other great inks and colors out there so not a big deal.

snedwos
March 26th, 2013, 01:32 PM
What ink was it you were using? Just so I can avoid it, or decide I'm willing to take the risk if it's particularly special.

Don't leave Ochre in a pen for a month! No, seriously, don't!

Tracy Lee
March 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I wish I could recall, something blue. I freaked out and tossed it and it has been awhile. I keep coming back to it, flushing, soaking and using new ink but still not right. Today it began it's journey to the Yafa Pen Repair Dept. :(

cedargirl
March 26th, 2013, 11:49 PM
I looove Diamine inks. No problems. I have nine of them.

Though the Pumpkin gets a bit crunchy around the nib/feed if it is left for more than a day without writing.

Now is that funny. I'm sitting here wondering how you see particulates in a bottle. The inks are all so dark. Except the pumpkin which is more translucent. I couldn't see anything other than ink in it, but when I picked it up and inverted it, there was certainly some darker material in the base which wafted downwards. I gave it a quick shake and it all dissolved/disappeared.

I just picked up every ink I owned and gave them all the same treatment, just in case.

The Good Captain
March 27th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Most are my inks are Diamine and I think they are some of the best I've got. No question.

Tracy Lee
March 27th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I don't mean to indict an entire line of ink. The brand just doesn't work for me, and I also believe it is possible for one to get a bad bottle of anything once in a blue moon. It is also quite possible that I myself introduced a contaminate some how and the whole thing was my fault. I just happen to be once and done in this area of my life since there are so many inks on the market and since my color spectrum of use is so narrow. Just wanted to be sure no one was thinking I am campaigning against Diamine! :eek::cool:

UK Mike
April 10th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I have 10 Diamine inks and have used them extensively over the past few years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Excellent flow, lovely colours and easy to flush.

Do make sure the pens are scrupulously clean when changing ANY inks, because some don't mix well - this is not just Diamine branded inks.

jor412
April 13th, 2013, 04:17 AM
I've used several diamine inks: syrah, red dragon, twilight, damson, & majestic blue. I've also tried some samples of two or three greens from the brand. All have performed quite well except majestic blue. Majestic blue clogged even my wettest flowing pens. I found out in a thread in FPN, that the ink is too thick and the solution is to dilute it with distilled water. About 20% distilled water works. Red Dragon, on the other hand, is amazing. Aside from being a beautiful red, it flows perfect. Also, I accidentally squirted some on myself while I was wearing a pristine white shirt. I soaked the stained area in detergent for about 15 minutes, and the stain completely washed out.

Sailor Kenshin
April 13th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Impressive, especially considering that it was a red ink!

My blue-black 05 Preppy just loves Diamine Denim, whereas it didn't want to write at all with Pel Blue Black.

I suspect that some questionable, regulation-imposed manufacturing 'standards' cause a lot of the ink problems across all brands.

jor412
April 13th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Impressive, especially considering that it was a red ink!

My blue-black 05 Preppy just loves Diamine Denim, whereas it didn't want to write at all with Pel Blue Black.

I suspect that some questionable, regulation-imposed manufacturing 'standards' cause a lot of the ink problems across all brands.

I was stunned it washed out! I thought my shirt was done for. And yes, I agree. Across all brands, there will probably be some colors that don't perform as well as others. And although Waterman inks seem to be consistently "safe", I'm not too crazy about the colors. That is of course personal preference.

liapuyat
April 22nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
I just acquired Damson, Midnight and Evergreen. They seem rather saturated, so I am thinking about diluting those to see about any behavioral changes (shading, drying, feathering). Midnight's flow is particularly generous.

My other Diamines, Saddle Brown, Monaco Red and Claret, are great. Haven't felt the need to dilute those.

Laura N
April 22nd, 2013, 08:09 AM
... Majestic blue clogged even my wettest flowing pens. I found out in a thread in FPN, that the ink is too thick and the solution is to dilute it with distilled water. About 20% distilled water works....

Thanks for this information. I have previously thought this a very wet ink. Diluting will help with that, as well.

jor412
April 22nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
It's strangely a wet ink but it clogs because maybe it's like condensed soup that needs a can of water to be soupy? haha It's a beautiful color though. I've given away some samples of it to friends with the warning that they need to dilute it.

john
April 22nd, 2013, 11:23 AM
I have ten bottles of Diamine inks, I don't have any issue of the ink but it will feather slightly. Asa blue is may favorite blue. I found that Sargasso Sea is difficult to clean and will stain the converter. I may dilute Sargasso Sea and see what the difference. I like that colour too.

dannzeman
April 22nd, 2013, 03:22 PM
Moved from Ink Reviews to General Inky Goodness.

OakIris
April 25th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I have several bottles of Diamine inks acquired over the last year - Twilight, Syrah and GreenBlack. I love the colors and the flow and they seem well-behaved to me. I have not noticed any problems with these inks in the pens I have used them in - mostly vintage - and they all clean out quite nicely. The reviews I have read of these inks do not mention problems such as those described by some in this thread, so I am hoping that the problems are not widespread, may be due to a bad batch or incompatibility with a particular pen. I will watch these inks a bit more carefully now, though, just in case!

@Tracy Lee - I do hope you post back here with the results of your Delta Dolce Vita repair, if Yaffa can determine the problem was due to the ink, that would be good to know. Sounds as if you got some SITB but whether it came from the manufacturer or somehow got contaminated after you opened it, who can tell! Anyway, sorry about your pen and I hope it comes back to you as good as new.

Not sure that Richard Binder is as respected here as he seems to be at FPN, but here is a quote from his site comparing Diamine inks quite favorably with the well-behaved inks from Waterman; perhaps it will reassure those that now have doubts about Diamine inks, or perhaps not!

Waterman inks were the first high-scoring (low-maintenance) inks I discovered. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate Waterman inks a solid 10. They flow remarkably well under a broad variety of conditions in almost any pen. They lubricate exceptionally well, imparting a glassy-smooth ride. They are not heavily saturated, and the dyes in them tend to be relatively nonstaining. Waterman Blue-Black is almost stain free. But Waterman’s palette is not the most inspiring in the world. Recently Diamine appeared in the marketplace with a much more exciting range of colors and with characteristics very similar to those of Waterman, so that now I rely almost entirely on these two brands, the majority of whose colors sport very high scores. Their reds, as expected, have the lowest scores; but these inks still score higher than most other brands, higher even than some other brands’ blues and blacks. As it happens, I use Skrip Red (made in Slovenia) in one pen at my workbench, and it’s remarkably good. Its being red reduces its score slightly, but not enough to be a major consideration for me.

I am somewhat concerned about a couple of negative mentions about Diamine Ochre, however. I just ordered a sample for my "new" Esterbrook J transitional pen. The pen is one of their lovely copper colored pens and the Ochre looks to be a perfect match for the pen. I can't imagine it will stain the Esterbrook, but this post by snedows is worrying - what does it do to the pen?? (My emphasis added.)

What ink was it you were using? Just so I can avoid it, or decide I'm willing to take the risk if it's particularly special.

Don't leave Ochre in a pen for a month! No, seriously, don't!

Holly

Sailor Kenshin
April 25th, 2013, 06:34 AM
You could always use Ancient Copper, if that's the name, right?

I just got Green-Black, and compared it on my blog with two other dark greens. I like it, but did not expect the blue-ish undertones.

OakIris
April 25th, 2013, 08:31 AM
You could always use Ancient Copper, if that's the name, right?

I just got Green-Black, and compared it on my blog with two other dark greens. I like it, but did not expect the blue-ish undertones.

I did consider Diamine Ancient Copper but to me the browner color of the Diamine Ochre suits the color of my copper/rootbeer Estie much better. (I do not consider myself as being a fanatic about matching ink color to pen color, but seem to be doing that more often now...all it took was reading a thread or two about how important it was for some users to match the colors and I was easily persuaded that this was a good idea. :redface:)

Here are photos of the swabs from Goulet Pens site to show you what I mean:

2104 2105

Also, Ancient Copper is known for its predilection (??) to deposit "crud" on the nib of your pen along the nib slit and feed. From what I have read this has something to do with the red/orange pigment in the ink crystallizing, and is a potential "problem" for other inks that contain red/orange pigment (I would attach a photo to show this but the only ones I have seen are on FPN and - surprise, surprise - that site is down again.) The "fix" is to simply wipe off the nib, so no big deal, but it is unsightly and if I can avoid this step I would be pleased! :lazy: I have not read about this problem with Ochre, but it, too, probably contains orange or red, so....

Anyway, I would really like to know what snedows meant by his or her warning about Diamine Ochre.....

I am using my GreenBlack in a vintage Pelikan 400 (green striated with black cap - yeah, that proves I don't match ink to pen. :rolleyes:) I know we all see colors slightly differently, and our monitors are probably calibrated differently as well. but I have not noticed a bluish sheen to it in actual use or in photos on line. On your blog, you actually said the Chesterfield Erinite was "the most blue" and that the GreenBlack was a "pure, dark, evergreen," which is what I see from your swab comparisons as well, so perhaps you have the two confused??

Holly

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I have already weighed in on Diamine Ochre. Just to reiterate, it has a red component that precipitates out. I love the color but I will not use it in a pen I cannot completely take apart for cleaning. I think I would be okay using it in my Esterbrook pens but I would be extra careful cleaning the pen out. Removing the nib and using a syringe to "power wash" the inside of the sack would be required. I might have to wait until I get my ultrasonic cleaner first. I would want to be able to clean the nib unit out with it.

reprieve
April 25th, 2013, 08:45 AM
OakIris, I haven't used Diamine Ochre so I can't help directly with your question. However, you mentioned you would be using it in an Estie. It shouldn't stain the Estie's black section, especially if you wipe it off with a damp tissue quickly after filling. The sac isn't visible (and is usually black anyway) so there isn't really anything to stain as there would be with another pen with an ink window or a light-colored section.

Was the issue with staining or with sediment or with some other problem (such as clogging)? I don't get sediment with Ancient Copper unless I use it in a pen with a slip cap (because it isn't quite air tight). The only Diamine ink I've had clogging issues with is Majestic Blue. You could always order a sample of Ochre and try it in a test pen to see what happens.

If you're looking for another ink to match the copper Estie, you might consider Diamine Dark Brown (which isn't actually dark but is a lovely rootbeer color), Diamine Burnt Sienna, or Pelikan Brown. I've used all of those inks without any issues and they are close in color to the copper Estie. If you're looking for something special, Akkerman Hopjesbruin is a perfect match; that is the ink I use in mine.

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM
My concern is with clogging and staining. My Konrad had some nice build up in it (demonstrator blue). When I saw that, I quickly emptied my Pelikan M200 and flushed thouroughly.

jor412
April 25th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have several bottles of Diamine inks acquired over the last year - Twilight, Syrah and GreenBlack. I love the colors and the flow and they seem well-behaved to me. I have not noticed any problems with these inks in the pens I have used them in - mostly vintage - and they all clean out quite nicely. The reviews I have read of these inks do not mention problems such as those described by some in this thread, so I am hoping that the problems are not widespread
Holly

I have Twilight and I had Syrah as well. No problems with them clogging or staining my pens. :)

Sailor Kenshin
April 25th, 2013, 10:00 AM
I know we all see colors slightly differently, and our monitors are probably calibrated differently as well. but I have not noticed a bluish sheen to it in actual use or in photos on line. On your blog, you actually said the Chesterfield Erinite was "the most blue" and that the GreenBlack was a "pure, dark, evergreen," which is what I see from your swab comparisons as well, so perhaps you have the two confused??

Holly

Wouldn't be the first time. ;)

OakIris
April 25th, 2013, 10:42 AM
My sample of Ochre should be here soon; I will test it in my Esterbrook and see how it does. I am concerned about KrazyIvan's report of the ink causing clogging, but I do have an ultrasonic cleaner to clean the nib if I need to, and a lever filler is relatively easy to clean, at least in my experience. Guess I will find out!

I did read the review of the ink here on FP Geeks; in it snedwos had this to say:

For the record -- don', don't, don't leave Diamine ochre sitting in a pen for an extended period. Though it cleans up ok, it just looks disgusting...
Not sure what he/she means by "it just looks disgusting" either, but I have a feeling that this ink was not a keeper!

@Eclectica - presumably you have had a chance to try out some of the Diamine inks you were concerned about by now - have you experienced any problems when using them in your pens?

Holly

Eclectica
April 25th, 2013, 01:52 PM
I have indeed tried a few of the inks I initially had some reservations about - BTW precipitates identified by looking at the bottom of the 30ml bottles against a bright lamp, or looking the bottom of the bottles with a flashlight - and have not experienced any real problems.

With the Diamine Orange there was a bit of 'crusting' on a cheap no-frills WHSmith pen to which I had added a Rotring piston convertor, but when I took a bit of trouble to clean up the nooks and crannies around the nib after filling and before putting on the cap, this seems to have abated virtually completely.

My TWSBI Diamond 580 is loaded with Diamine Imperial Blue (no precipites) and I love it!!

Also upon looking in my desk drawer at a bottle of Parker Red Quink there was - guess what - some minor precipitate on the bottom of the bottle! Ok - now I know I am being too picky - don't shoot!:laser:

This is really a great discussion forum - beautiful. :)

klpeabody
April 25th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Hysteria when you're near... Yeah. Diamine rocks.

ROFLMAO!

Newjelan
April 27th, 2013, 03:07 AM
I love Diamine inks and along with Iroshizuku, I think they have the nicest colours and best flowing inks. I've never found a Diamine colour that isn't great nor have I ever had a problem with them.

picautomaton
April 27th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Using Prussian Blue in my Pilot Capless and I don't want to put the pen down. No precipitates noted.

OakIris
April 27th, 2013, 09:02 AM
I have indeed tried a few of the inks I initially had some reservations about - BTW precipitates identified by looking at the bottom of the 30ml bottles against a bright lamp, or looking the bottom of the bottles with a flashlight - and have not experienced any real problems.

With the Diamine Orange there was a bit of 'crusting' on a cheap no-frills WHSmith pen to which I had added a Rotring piston convertor, but when I took a bit of trouble to clean up the nooks and crannies around the nib after filling and before putting on the cap, this seems to have abated virtually completely.

My TWSBI Diamond 580 is loaded with Diamine Imperial Blue (no precipites) and I love it!!

Also upon looking in my desk drawer at a bottle of Parker Red Quink there was - guess what - some minor precipitate on the bottom of the bottle! Ok - now I know I am being too picky - don't shoot!:laser:

This is really a great discussion forum - beautiful. :)

Good to hear that your Diamine inks are working well for you. :thumb: And stop looking for trouble (precipitates) - what you don't see can't hurt you, right? :p Sometimes shaking the bottle of ink will redissolve the precipitates, from what I have read (never tried this as I haven't noticed any sediment in my ink bottles.) I know that lots of folks here avoid FPN so I won't link to the discussion, but here is some advice from member Jeffery Smith in a similar discussion there (it, too, was started by someone concerned about precipitates that she saw in some of her Diamine inks):

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:06 PM
I usually ignore precipitation in inks unless it is something growing in the bottle. I don't heat the first floor at night in winter, and some of my inks get some precipitation. Putting anything in the ink (like a nib) that leaves particulate matter can serve as seeds on which crystals can form. I just ignore it and don't bother trying to get it back into solution.

Microbial growth is a different story. I dump that ink. None so far with Diamine, but I've gotten it with other brands.
So, if it causes no problems in your pen and you can do so, ignoring it might be the best "fix."

I hope to get my Diamine Ochre sample today and will find out whether or not I should ignore snedwos' warnings - as he/she does not care to elaborate as to what the warnings mean, I reckon I will find out for myself! I think I will like it and end up getting a bottle. Hopefully flushing out the pen before each refill will avoid any of the potential clogging that KrazyIvan mentioned, and staining isn't a concern, so.....

Holly

View from the Loft
May 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Between the five of us in our family, we have used several of the inks in the Diamine range. Onyx (black) and Midnight (a dark blue) are my staples, with Onyx used by the three in school and my husband. Also currently in use are Turquoise, Vermillion, Deep Magenta and Majestic Purple.

Other colours used in the past were Steel Blue and Woodland Green, both of which I would purchase again. The previous formulation of Blue Black was not a success for me in that it didn't play nicely with all of my pens.

I keep returning to Diamine because
a) well priced
b) good range of colours
c) well behaved and low maintenance
d) available in 30ml and 80ml bottles

GordonH
October 31st, 2013, 08:07 AM
I found this topic while looking to see if anyone else was having this problem. I am using Conway Stewart Kingsand (which I believe is a rebadged Diamine Ochre) in two pens.

1. A Jinhao 159 fitted with a Goulet nib: Over the space of a few days I get a small amount of gunge seeping out between the section and the top of the nib. Its easily cleaned when I refill.

2. A Parker Profile: see photo below taken four days after filling it up and not using it. I have had it upside down in my bag or flat on the desk in a case during that whole time.

Its not great.

OakIris
October 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM
I found this topic while looking to see if anyone else was having this problem. I am using Conway Stewart Kingsand (which I believe is a rebadged Diamine Ochre) in two pens.

1. A Jinhao 159 fitted with a Goulet nib: Over the space of a few days I get a small amount of gunge seeping out between the section and the top of the nib. Its easily cleaned when I refill.

2. A Parker Profile: see photo below taken four days after filling it up and not using it. I have had it upside down in my bag or flat on the desk in a case during that whole time.

Its not great.

Yep - it does look nasty. Easily cleaned off, but if you don't want to deal with it, you will need to try a different ink. :( I did like the Diamine Ochre but decided it wasn't for me - can't help but think some of the "gunk" might be happening inside the pen, too, though everyone seems to agree that gunk on the nib does not necessarily mean gunk in the rest of the fill system.....

Holly

GordonH
October 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM

Its not great.

Yep - it does look nasty. Easily cleaned off, but if you don't want to deal with it, you will need to try a different ink. :( I did like the Diamine Ochre but decided it wasn't for me - can't help but think some of the "gunk" might be happening inside the pen, too, though everyone seems to agree that gunk on the nib does not necessarily mean gunk in the rest of the fill system.....

Holly

Yes, it cleans off easily enough, but its messy. I was carrying the profile in case i ran out of ink in the main pen so having the same colour makes sense. It would put me off using it in an expensive pen that couldn't be taken apart. Its a great colour though.

Jeph
October 31st, 2013, 09:58 AM
We covered this pretty well in the Ancinet Copper Review. My technical term is boogers, but gunge works. As far as we can figure out it is mostly an annoyance byproduct of the way that it dries. My TWSBI 580 is still filled with Ancient Copper with nothing forming within the pen. And with the cap on, no boogers form.

Diamine Ink Boogers (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3663-Diamine-Ancient-Copper-Ink-Review)

john
October 31st, 2013, 11:18 AM
I have the same problem with the Diamine Burnt Sienna which filled my Visconti Opera Elements. But it won't happen in the other pens. So I have to clean my Opera and use my favorite Asa Blue.

GordonH
November 1st, 2013, 06:18 AM
We covered this pretty well in the Ancinet Copper Review. My technical term is boogers, but gunge works. As far as we can figure out it is mostly an annoyance byproduct of the way that it dries. My TWSBI 580 is still filled with Ancient Copper with nothing forming within the pen. And with the cap on, no boogers form.

Diamine Ink Boogers (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3663-Diamine-Ancient-Copper-Ink-Review)

Having read this I think it relates to the poor seal of the Parker Profile cap. The Jinhao with the screw cap is still writing away with only miniscule deposits at the top of the nib. As my ink is branded Conway Stewart i assume they will have tried it in their screw cap pens and not had a problem.