PDA

View Full Version : "WE CARE," says the USPS

FredRydr
February 4th, 2017, 02:15 PM

Inside was an empty envelope from a pen friend in Russia. Subversive literature, nosey spooks or aggressive sorting machinery? Oh well, I'll just enclose this with my next written reply and hope the explanation is accepted. My post to and from Russia has become the most problematic, taking a month and more to reach destinations, if at all.

Fred

Chrissy
February 4th, 2017, 03:17 PM
At least you received a nice note saying they care.

I sent a letter to Oakland, CA recently and inadvertently transposed two digits in the zip code. Yes mea culpa. :(

However, they never even tried sending it to the address in Oakland, they just returned it back to me in England instead. :(

Edit: I should have said, at least I received my whole letter back. You were very unlucky to lose yours, and just get an envelope. :(

earthdawn
February 4th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Another international package gone in the abyss

Sorry for your loss....

datainadequate
February 4th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Subversive literature, nosey spooks or aggressive sorting machinery?

Was the envelope damaged? Or obviously opened deliberately?

FredRydr
February 5th, 2017, 04:03 AM
Subversive literature, nosey spooks or aggressive sorting machinery?

Was the envelope damaged? Or obviously opened deliberately?
I was being facetious. It's one of those envelopes with the soft glue that needn't be moistened, almost like rubber cement. I can see it being pulled open by sorting machinery. You should see what the machinery is doing to postcards; half arrive with heavy marks as though miniature motorcycles do burnouts on them. (If it was spooks, they'd have replaced the contents and resealed the envelope, or just made it disappear, and I don't think our government has returned to that level...yet.)

Fred

Chrissy
February 5th, 2017, 06:33 AM
I make many of my own envelopes and I only use permanent 'runner' glue. It will not come open during transit. :)

Talking of which, I have one stamped and addressed to Fred waiting to be taken to the Post Box. :) Sometimes you just can't get the staff these days......

Wubi
February 6th, 2017, 12:36 AM
These days a wrong zip code gets returned rather than rerouted, in my experience.

ChristyOTwisty
February 22nd, 2017, 04:35 PM
Inside was an empty envelope from a pen friend in Russia. Subversive literature, nosey spooks or aggressive sorting machinery? Oh well, I'll just enclose this with my next written reply and hope the explanation is accepted. My post to and from Russia has become the most problematic, taking a month and more to reach destinations, if at all.

This year I have a Vladivostok penfriend. I am not used to mail taking longer than three weeks to arrive at its destination. I mailed the Vladivostok letter a month ago (I like to write the transoceanic correspondents before February officially begins).

I got one number from a Newfoundland, Canada street address wrong so instead of giving the parcel to the correct neighbour, the resident just rejected my Christmas present and I got it back, and reshipped it to its correct address. It should have arrived two weeks ago according to the tracking, but I've not heard anything from the true recipient.