PDA

View Full Version : Scriptorium

Empty_of_Clouds
February 11th, 2017, 07:44 PM
Just offered my Scriptorium Balladeer up for a giveaway on FPN. It's waiting on mod approval before being posted, and the pen has been offered to another member so the PIF is conditional on what they say. They are not talking to me right now, so I don't know how long I should wait.

Anyway, if anyone is interested go and look over there.

Be advised that this will not go to a newer member, the recipient will be chosen by me and based on my private criteria.

Farmboy
February 11th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Who is not talking and why?

Empty_of_Clouds
February 11th, 2017, 08:09 PM
The initial offered recipient. Because (most likely) the impression is from most people (here and there) that I am not a nice guy. I've given away hundreds of dollars worth of pens and inks*, asked for very little beyond a fair chance, and I'm not a nice guy. Says it all really.

*if anyone thinks that I can afford to do this then you are very much mistaken.

Vespagirl
February 11th, 2017, 08:51 PM
I don't know anything of what has happened, but, especially as someone relatively new to this hobby, thank you for contributing to the PIF program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stub
February 12th, 2017, 02:53 AM
You are a nice guy.

An absolutely champion complainer, a fuss-pot, almost comically and perennially unsatisfied and seemingly hell bent on some kind of epic endless-woe-is-me-a-thon. You are quite dramatic too (how many times have you given everything away quit the boards only to be back in days?) but you do seem like a nice guy and are seemingly very generous (though you have never answered my pms over on fpn).

You should look into Buddhism. It might help you. </wink>

Empty_of_Clouds
February 12th, 2017, 03:13 AM
Haha! You sent me pms? Nothing in my inbox. <just looked>

Even though I say it myself, yes, I am actually a nice guy. In conversation I just like to explore ideas, often forgetting that a lot of people have hang-ups and boundaries and so on. In work I drive my boss crazy because I won't take credit for anything - I work for other people, helping them to get professional recognition. That's just what I do. It pains me when people try to force any kind of reward on me.

Generous? I guess I am. I think people today are far to concerned with what they have and what they can get - me too in many ways - and while it is financially ruinous for me to give stuff away, I still do it. It's what poor people do.

With pens, if there's something I don't like then I shall say so. Even if it means that I feel I have wasted my money. I'm honest and open like that.

I just received what I thought was a Parker 51 with a fat oblique nib. Now I think I may have been duped and that it is a Parker Super 21, but I cannot be sure, and I suspect that the seller did not know either (I have no reason to suspect that they did).

Anyway, the Scriptorium was offered to another FPN member. They have just rather boorishly dismissed the offer, so now it goes open to others. I am waiting for FPN to approve the PIF for the relevant forum. If that doesn't happen then I'll do it here. However, I am no longer offering these things to random recipients. Someone will be chosen based on what I think of them.

Edit: I am a follower of the dharma - ch'an (zen) and Pure Land. Have been for a few years now. Obviously I have tons more work to do in this regard!

stub
February 12th, 2017, 04:14 AM
The pms were a long time ago, twice when you were flipping pens, I believe a Parker you didn't like and a Sheaffer. Quite a long time ago.

I am confused why you are pif-ing that pen. I know you said you could not get on with the cap design and it sounded like Scriptorium was going to help you out with that.

Did you not get the new cap? Does the pen not write well? If it is a fine pen why not use it as is? The pen looks like blueberries & cream. haha.

I wish you the best in your quest.

I have a couple Pilots, Platinum 3776, 2 Sailors, and a small army of vintage pens, many with warts and bent or missing bits, brassing, etc. I love them all.

Spoonage
February 12th, 2017, 06:58 AM
I'm new here and don't know all the background, but seems like you're being more than fair and a nice person.

RocketRyan
February 12th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Be yourself, no point in people liking you trying to be someone else. I spent my whole life trying to be what I thought the world wanted me to be, and I was unhappy. One day I stopped trying to be liked and started be me, my group of friends is smaller but the friendships I have are very close and very honest, coupled with my wonderful family, I am an infinitely happier person. So my advice just be yourself and those who matter will find you.

stub
February 12th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Be yourself, no point in people liking you trying to be someone else. I spent my whole life trying to be what I thought the world wanted me to be, and I was unhappy. One day I stopped trying to be liked and started be me, my group of friends is smaller but the friendships I have are very close and very honest, coupled with my wonderful family, I am an infinitely happier person. So my advice just be yourself and those who matter will find you.

I dunno. I spent my whole life being myself. It still sucked.

RocketRyan
February 12th, 2017, 08:29 AM

I dunno. I spent my whole life being myself. It still sucked.

Ha ha it's not always an easy ride, but we should try to enjoy it

stub
February 12th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Ha ha it's not always an easy ride, but we should try to enjoy it

https://youtu.be/5U1-OmAICpU

KKay
February 12th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Well I'm definitely interested. I see no thread there yet. What a great PIF, wow.

Bold2013
February 12th, 2017, 10:13 AM
generousity is not how much you give but HOW you give. (The widow and the two pennies vs the Pharisee loudly dropping the gold and silver coins for all to hear.) put in another way, I may give alot of money to the government for taxes but I am not generous.

RocketRyan
February 12th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Don't think I meet the criteria, but good luck to those that do, a very generous pif

Empty_of_Clouds
February 12th, 2017, 10:34 AM
The pen has been claimed. It will be making it's final trip back to the States in the next couple of weeks.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 12th, 2017, 10:39 AM
generousity is not how much you give but HOW you give. (The widow and the two pennies vs the Pharisee loudly dropping the gold and silver coins for all to hear.) put in another way, I may give alot of money to the government for taxes but I am not generous.

Indeed, though I am not a Bible-thumper so have only inference to go on with regard your reference. The point would seem clear. Normally I don't make a big deal, or any kind of deal, about giving stuff away. I will if someone criticises me for it. Unfortunately there are lot of people on this site, FPN, and indeed in 'real life' who are looking to take advantage all the time. So I only do this in a targetted fashion nowadays. I want these pens to go to people who may appreciate them, not just grabbing stuff to sell on.

Bold2013
February 12th, 2017, 10:59 AM
Nothing worse than a pen or person not appreciated. I think everyone won today.

RocketRyan
February 12th, 2017, 11:21 AM
Don't think I could sell a gift. My wife could though, she holds no sentiment with objects.in actually mourned when I lost my late nans speed peeler.

KKay
February 12th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I watched PIF on FPN, and never saw it come up. Well congrats to the winner regardless.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 12th, 2017, 11:43 AM
The FPN PIF hasn't been posted. There is some kind of approval process for new PIFs.

Anyway, I know people are disappointed not to get this one - apart from the recipient of course - so I'll have a rummage around the pen box (shouldn't take long) and see what else I can offer. It may be the Ranga 4C in premium orange ebonite. I say premium, but the only thing premium about it was the cost.

Farmboy
February 12th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Empty Cloud,

I'm confused. I thought you were a moderator and therefore cold post on FPN.

Your 51 is a 51. The nib is gold is it not. Super 21s came with steel nibs.

I'm still not clear on the who and why but I guess that issue is resolved and the pen is gone.

Vespagirl
February 12th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Anyway, I know people are disappointed not to get this one - apart from the recipient of course - so I'll have a rummage around the pen box (shouldn't take long) and see what else I can offer. It may be the Ranga 4C in premium orange ebonite. I say premium, but the only thing premium about it was the cost.

The pen sounds wonderful, but you shouldn't feel obligated to offer another PIF just so everyone can win; you would never be able to stop.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 13th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Empty Cloud,

I'm still not clear on the who and why but I guess that issue is resolved and the pen is gone.

I am, but really nothing more than the lowliest of janitors. I daresay that dubious honour will be gone soon.

The nib is gold. I suspect an after market grind.

The issue of the who and why is resolved - some people cannot see past their prejudices it seems. And the pen has indeed gone to a friend in Philly.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 13th, 2017, 12:30 AM

The pen sounds wonderful, but you shouldn't feel obligated to offer another PIF just so everyone can win; you would never be able to stop.

Obligated? I suppose I do. It's a question of happiness. I don't have a snowball's chance of getting a good lead on what I am looking for. The stuff I've got is mostly not that good.

grainweevil
February 13th, 2017, 04:20 AM
The stuff I've got is mostly not that good.

:facepalm: Have you considered changing your forum moniker to "Can't See The Silver Linings For The Clouds"?

Farmboy
February 13th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Empty Cloud,

I am, but really nothing more than the lowliest of janitors. I daresay that dubious honour will be gone soon.

The nib is gold. I suspect an after market grind.

The issue of the who and why is resolved - some people cannot see past their prejudices it seems. And the pen has indeed gone to a friend in Philly.

I suspect a factory grind based on the picture I saw.

Before you are a non-moderator change the name of your form to Mabie Todd or something equally simple. I find the" Mabie Todd Research/Special Interest Forum/Group" annoyingly long and unnecessary. A one word title is good enough for all the other brand forums.

until later
T

Empty_of_Clouds
February 13th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Nice if it is, it will be going in (hopefully) a Kullock body, then flogged off.

Change the name? Hell's Bells, I can only move posts around in that forum. That's the entirety of my "powers". Told you, just the temporary janitor.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 14th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Well, my shitty luck continues. The Prototype 51 parts are not the exact same size as my broken 51 Mk1. The section ring sticks out, and the section causes the O ring to bulge.

All in another fuck-up on my part.

Chrissy
February 14th, 2017, 12:56 AM
The hood doesn't have a recess for an O ring then. That's a simple fix. Leave it off.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 14th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Did that but the section ring is wider than the end of the section, so it causes a ridge. Just another lost cause really.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 14th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Nuts! Now I've got a bag of assorted parts. Todd, if you can do something with them you can have them.

Chrissy
February 14th, 2017, 03:07 AM
Did you buy a new hood and barrel from Ariel Kullock for your Parker 51 and the original section ring from your pen is too big? I'm not sure how that works and wonder if that means that not all Parker 51 section rings are the same size. I know about Kullock's fabulous hoods and barrels, but I wasn't aware that the size of the section ring needed to be taken into account.

So does this mean that before anyone orders a hood and barrel they need to know their section ring size?

Chrissy
February 14th, 2017, 03:13 AM
Did you see This thread (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/19263-Parker-51-Help)?

That is a fabulous pen :bounce:

Empty_of_Clouds
February 14th, 2017, 04:12 AM
Yeah, same issue. My extra barrel and section are not nice colours or anything. It's a prototype dark grey. At $15 I thought it would suitable to replace the cracked barrel on the 51 my mother gave me. Obviously I don't have a clue about these things. One thing is certain though, the Kullock parts do not fit all 51 innards.

Chrissy
February 14th, 2017, 04:42 AM
That's a shame. What exactly do you need to repair your Parker 51?

Farmboy
February 14th, 2017, 06:04 AM
Nuts! Now I've got a bag of assorted parts. Todd, if you can do something with them you can have them.

Everyone should have a 51 that works especially if it came from a mom. I'm headed to the show tomorrow but let's figure this out. The Kullock parts don't always fit first time out. Sometimes they require a second or third date.

ethernautrix
February 14th, 2017, 11:29 AM
EOC, you're lucky to have FarmBoy's attention.

I pretty much shattered a user-grade P51 Special that I'd just traded a whole bunch of pens for (not knowing the value/cost of beater P51 Specials and not having done due diligence), and through the grace and generosity of Pen Posse and FarmBoy in particular, I have a much better P51 Special that is extra-special because of the transformation from pieces of pen to whole pen. It is one of my cherished memento pens. (I would use it, but... it isn't c/c. Hahahahaha.)

Empty_of_Clouds
February 14th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I dunno. None of the parts fit together. The end of the barrel of the 51 Mk1 has an ugly weld repair. I've polished it as best I can and it's functional but ugly. The nib doesn't seem to write as it should. Again functional though not quite right. The Kullock parts won't take the Mk1 innards, and the other 51 Demi (I think) parts are too small. Also I cannot get the hood of that one to remove the fat italic nib. I had intended to make one semi-decent pen using the Kullock shell, the Mk1 filler/ring/feed, the Mk1 cap (which is just okay) and the Demi nib.

I think I was over reaching. Based on my previous experiences of trying to do something creative you'd think I would know better. Alas, this monkey has poor learning skills.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 15th, 2017, 01:51 AM
Boxed up the Scriptorium today. I don't recall ever feeling quite so low about doing this. Even the evanescent joy of giving is having a hard time competing. Still, it had to be done, if I hadn't it would have been my albatross. The recipient is also getting the matching dip pen holder.

Dhruv
February 15th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Boxed up the Scriptorium today. I don't recall ever feeling quite so low about doing this. Even the evanescent joy of giving is having a hard time competing. Still, it had to be done, if I hadn't it would have been my albatross. The recipient is also getting the matching dip pen holder.

If I may ask, why are you pif'ing this pen? I read the review and it seemed to me that you liked the pen very much.

RocketRyan
February 15th, 2017, 11:27 AM
I keep considering going for a scriptorium pen, but can never make up my mind on which one.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 15th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I did like it very much. The material was simply beautiful, and it's unlikely that I will ever see anything like it again. Unfortunately the I made a mistake in design choice and it was bugging me to the point of no longer enjoying the pen. Overall it falls into the the very large category of pens that I have bought in hope, only to find a flaw that removes much of the pleasure.

Yes, I could have sold it I suppose, and gathered at least some of the cost back. Certainly it represents a considerable financial loss. Still, bringing a little sunlight into someone's life is worth it I think.

My biggest regret, across the board, is getting rid of certain pens that I should have kept. In particular a Parker Duofold Streamline and a Watermans' 92 in steel quartz (with a red nib). Absolutely kicking myself for that because, as noted, opportunities for me to acquire decent vintage stuff is almost nil.

stub
February 15th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately the I made a mistake in design choice and it was bugging me to the point of no longer enjoying the pen. Overall it falls into the the very large category of pens that I have bought in hope, only to find a flaw that removes much of the pleasure.

The problem isn't with the pen. (or any of the others)

My biggest regret, across the board, is getting rid of certain pens that I should have kept. In particular a Parker Duofold Streamline and a Watermans' 92 in steel quartz (with a red nib). Absolutely kicking myself for that

http://thedesigninspiration.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/punch-face-l.jpg

free tip: STOP GIVING SHIT AWAY. I KNOW YOU THINK IT HELPS YOUR MYTERDOM AND FEEDS INTO YOUR LONG TALE OF WOE BUT FUCKING STOP. HOLY SELF INFLICTED WOUNDS BATMAN.

Enough with the drama. Just buy a pen and write for crying all night. Go to the store get yourself a fucking Pilot 912 or a 3776 or something and be done with it.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 15th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Hey! I was only answering the other guys question.

No stores here. Wish there were.

Martyrdom (sp) - puhleaze. I give stuff away because it doesn't fit with what I want, or because I think it may bring someone a little joy. The two I mentioned above were pens I SOLD. Different kettle of bananas all together. The reason for the regret is that I had them at a decent price, sold them and then found the prices and/or availability started moving upward too quickly for me to get back into the market. I am sure we've all been there with one thing or another.

Got 912 with an FA nib. Use it all the time. Haven't got a 3776, not going to either (the reports are not favourable, in my estimation). Looking at an Izumo though.

The only time I've EVER spoken about a pen being bad was when it actually was a bad pen (unforeseen vintage damage and so on). The rest is just me and my search for what aesthetically pleases me.

I like my new Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy very much ... so far. If I could find a stub nib for it then Bob's yer Mum's Bro, as they say round these parts. I also like my Pilot 823, Lamy 2K and Pilot Decimo heaps too.

stub
February 15th, 2017, 10:30 PM
okie. those are nice stories but from the frequent reader of both boards you might wonder what it looks like from the outside looking in, and the way it looks is that you call the waaaaaampulance pretty regularly and frequently and are prerenially unhappy and unsatisfied.

If that is not the case I sincerly look forward to many positive and enthusiastic posts from you in the future. The Legacy is a hell of a pen as is the 823 & the 912 & co. (and i know you are fond of your 88 too (I do read your posts)) ...

coincidentally working an article today and have in my hand .... a Sheaffer Legacy I.

ENJOY

Empty_of_Clouds
February 18th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Relating to a couple of posts in the middle of this woeful thread.

I am unable to remove the section from the odd looking Parker 51/21 thing. The nib is far too interesting to simply pass up on. The only way I can now see of getting it out of there, and hopefully into a better body, is to cut the section off, sacrificing it basically. Unless anyone has any better suggestions?

ethernautrix
February 18th, 2017, 08:16 PM
Relating to a couple of posts in the middle of this woeful thread.

I am unable to remove the section from the odd looking Parker 51/21 thing. The nib is far too interesting to simply pass up on. The only way I can now see of getting it out of there, and hopefully into a better body, is to cut the section off, sacrificing it basically. Unless anyone has any better suggestions?

FarmBoy's at the LA Pen Show this weekend, so I doubt he's checking the Internet (I could be wrong). I'd wait a couple of days after the show, maybe Tuesday, Wednesday, then ask him for tips or guidance. He's the Parker Guy.

He might not be THE Parker Guy. I doubt there is only one. But he definitely is a Parker Guy.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 20th, 2017, 02:10 AM
The section won't come off and is leaking slightly. As I cannot get it off to put any sealant on it... not sure it has any more mileage.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 22nd, 2017, 04:29 PM
So, looking for suggestions on the safest way to forcibly remove the section. Pliers and crack it? Or small saw?

ethernautrix
February 23rd, 2017, 06:24 AM
So, looking for suggestions on the safest way to forcibly remove the section. Pliers and crack it? Or small saw?

I accidentally used force to remove the cap from the P51 Special that had just rolled off my desk. Section ended up in pieces. But the powers of Pen Posse, an effort headed by FarmBoy with contributions by several Pen Posse pals, healed that pen, with a replacement section, replacement cap, replacement barrel, um... I'm wondering now if there's anything original left on this cherished P51 Special in my Memento case. Wait, I think it's the same barrel.

Yeah.

I know. I had the location, location, location advantage. Still, it took months or even more than a year before all the pieces came together.

Maybe if you posted a photo. Usually a visual sparks the need to give advice.

KrazyIvan
February 23rd, 2017, 10:47 AM

Maybe if you posted a photo. Usually a visual sparks the need to give advice.

Maybe start a new thread also? I thought this thread was about Scriptorium pens?

Empty_of_Clouds
March 9th, 2017, 01:46 AM
Final update.

It pleases me enormously that the Ghost Koi Balladeer has been reported as having arrived in its new American home and that the new lucky owner is super happy!

Chrissy
March 10th, 2017, 07:46 AM
I watched PIF on FPN, and never saw it come up. Well congrats to the winner regardless.

Ditto. :) I did too, and I didn't see it either. Basically I think EoC had promised it to someone who prevaricated about having it until EoC said he was putting it up as a PIF. Then he made his mind up to have it.

Empty_of_Clouds
March 10th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Actually, the prevaricator was rather rude about the whole thing, so they ruled themselves out. Before it went out to PIF I was talking with a penpal in Philly who offered a trade for it . I couldn't countenance such a transaction between friends and so I simply gave it to her. She is happy, I am happy (a lot poorer, but happy nonetheless).

Chrissy
March 10th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Actually, the prevaricator was rather rude about the whole thing, so they ruled themselves out. Before it went out to PIF I was talking with a penpal in Philly who offered a trade for it . I couldn't countenance such a transaction between friends and so I simply gave it to her. She is happy, I am happy (a lot poorer, but happy nonetheless).

Ah that explains it then. Good for you EoC. :)

catbert
March 10th, 2017, 05:58 PM
She is happy, I am happy (a lot poorer, but happy nonetheless).

Then you are richer. Well done.

waldbrent
March 12th, 2017, 09:56 AM
well since this thread is still going? i want a scriptorium too;-)

RocketRyan
March 12th, 2017, 01:50 PM
So do I but the wait would kill me...