PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend an orange ink that ISN'T evil?

Sailor Kenshin
February 12th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Because mine is....

I love the color. That eye-searing, brilliant Creamsicle tone. I do not love the behavior: hard starts and nib crud, all the time. I currently have it in a Parker Vector. It is Chesterfield (which no longer exists) Fire Opal ( which, I have heard, is actually Diamine Orange).

My 'other' orange ink is Lamy Copper Orange, wonderfully well-behaved, but not Creamsicle-y enough.

Was considering the new MB orange. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Anne
February 12th, 2017, 02:00 PM
I haven't yet gotten into orange inks, but I appreciate you letting us know that Lamy Copper Orange is well behaved.
I wonder now, how a blend of Waterman Audacious Red and J. Herbin Bouton D' Or might be ...

sgtstretch
February 12th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Sailor, I have the new MB Lucky Orange. It is very bright, like traffic cone orange. I'm not sure how it compares to Diamine Orange though, it is definitely more orange than Diamine Blaze Orange if you've seen that one before.

migo984
February 12th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Here are a few orange/yellow inks I swatched for comparison a while ago. It includes Mb Lucky Orange. Of the bright oranges my favourite is Omas Orange, but it's almost impossible to find now. Mb LO is similarly flat, with little shading, bright & almost plasticky in appearance. Very 1960s. Behaviour is OK.

KKay
February 12th, 2017, 03:11 PM
I don't think Diamine-Autumn Oak, KWZ Grapefruit, or Diamine-Sunset are evil. I love Noodler's-Habanero, but it can be a bit bright if you write enough with it. KWZ Grapefruit is very close to red, especially in a medium and up sized nib.

Chrissy
February 12th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Many orange and yellow inks will produce some sort of deposits on bottles and even nibs. It's the nature of the dyes used for those colours. You should see the threads of my bottle of Sailor Jentle Apricot. They are always cruddy.

Diamine Pumpkin is the most eye-popping orange ink that I have. Montblanc Gandhi used to be retina searing too.

catbert
February 12th, 2017, 04:21 PM
I've had Sailor kin-mokusei in a Pilot Kakuno for a month - no issues.

KKay
February 12th, 2017, 06:10 PM
Have you tried Fuyu-gaki? It is pretty to me. It isn't a heavy shading ink though. I had a sample of it months ago, and liked it quite a bit. I just thought of that one.

ms8109
February 13th, 2017, 12:56 AM
Try Franklin Christoph LE 2017 Philly Show ink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Regards,
Mike

Scooby921
February 13th, 2017, 07:16 AM
I don't think Diamine-Autumn Oak, KWZ Grapefruit, or Diamine-Sunset are evil. I love Noodler's-Habanero, but it can be a bit bright if you write enough with it. KWZ Grapefruit is very close to red, especially in a medium and up sized nib.
I'll second this. Bright and cheery with loads of shading, but an entire page of it can be a bit tough on the eyes. I love using it while taking notes, writing reminders, or adding tasks on a to-do list at work.

stub
February 13th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Robert Oster has an Orange as well.

My Apricot has sugery crystals around the bottle top too. Considering how loaded with dye that ink is I think it is unavoidable that evaporation leads to that. MB inks that are brown red or orange have somehow tended to avoid that for me. I wonder how they do that. I had, I think Ink of Joy and that didn't crumble up for me. Can't check as that is long gone.

fountainpenkid
February 13th, 2017, 07:44 AM
I'll throw in Edelstein Mandarin--exceptionally well-behaved in pen and on paper, and a great hue that balances saturated legibility with bright orange-ness.

Sailor Kenshin
February 13th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies! If we order a pair of section pliers later today, I think I'll add a bottle of the MB LO. :)

naimitsu
February 13th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Late to the party...

I've had both Iroshizuku Yu-Yake and Sailor Kin Mokusei in a TWSBI 580 for weeks (months?) on end without any issues. They write beautifully, and are two of my favorite oranges.

MB Gandhi is definitely eye-searing. I have a bottle, I love the color, but I find myself not being able to look at the color for very long.

Sailor Kenshin
February 13th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Late to the party...

I've had both Iroshizuku Yu-Yake and Sailor Kin Mokusei in a TWSBI 580 for weeks (months?) on end without any issues. They write beautifully, and are two of my favorite oranges.

MB Gandhi is definitely eye-searing. I have a bottle, I love the color, but I find myself not being able to look at the color for very long.

I remember having a sample of Yu-Yake in a Pelikan M2x-somethin' with an italic nib for months...ditto.

FredRydr
February 13th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Can anyone recommend an orange ink that ISN'T evil?

Well, that Mahatma Ghandi ink is angelic (if not unobtanium), but it might be more saffron than orange.

Fred

http://media.hollywood.com/images/l/annoyingorange.jpg

WmEdwards
February 13th, 2017, 06:08 PM
I have had no issues with MB Luckey Orange.

Runnin_Ute
February 14th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Other than a sample of Fire Opal, my only current orange is Apache Sunset. Haven't used it in a while. May need to rectify that soon.

Sailor Kenshin
February 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM
Any thoughts on JH Orange Indien?

*Having just cleaned a ton of nib crud third day in a row*

KKay
February 15th, 2017, 09:43 AM
I've never tried it Sailor. I have thought about trying it, but I found other inks more interesting to me.