PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on nib modifications

Spoonage
February 18th, 2017, 10:45 AM
So some have probably seen my previous M1000 thread. Basic summary was the brand new M1000 with a fine nib had some issues. The retailer swapped it out for a medium nib, but unfortunately this also has issues (and is a medium vs the fine I had). With that being said instead of again paying for shipping nibs back and forth from across the pond, the retailer and I agreed on a partial refund. I'm planning on sending it to Mike Masuyama along with a couple other pens. With all of that said, is a medium M1000 nib a good candidate for modifications? Most mods I see seem to be done on broad or BB and up. I figure since it's there I might do a stub or cursive italic.

Thanks.

pajaro
February 18th, 2017, 01:26 PM
From what I have read, you seem to go down a size or so when you stub a nib or make a cursive italic. A medium would probably give a fine CI or stub. Or you might get a very nice fine or extra fine.

jar
February 18th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Not the best candidate but ask the person you choose to do the work their opinion and then trust them.

Chrissy
February 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Some M nibs might make decent stubs. I quite like the idea of a finer stub. If you're changing from a round nib to a stub nib shouldn't you only need to remove tipping from the underneath not the sides?

ppmiranda
February 18th, 2017, 03:58 PM
I'm no expert, but I think Pelikan medium gold nibs write fairly broad so they might be suitable for grinding.

Jar's advice seems best IMO: talk to the nibmeister you choose for the job to have an expert opinion.

Robert
February 18th, 2017, 04:29 PM
I sent Masuyama a Pelikan M1000 (medium nib) for tuning a couple of years ago. The thing skipped quite a bit, and Mike did his magic on it. It's a great writer now - - fairly broad for a medium IMHO, and wet. Any further tinkering, e.g., grind to stub, would make it a bit unweildy
for me.

I also sent Mike a Visconti HS Maxi (medium nib) and asked that it be ground to a smooth stub. It's a superb writer now - wonderful line variation - and perhaps my favorite nib.

dfo
February 18th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Mike turned my m805 medium into an amazing stub. Recent Pelikan pens typically have more material on the tip of the nib than the same sizes on pens from other manufacturers.

FredRydr
February 18th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Your medium is a perfect candidate for a cursive italic grind, which will give you the line variation you probably desire. It is false news that only broad nibs benefit from customization.

Fred

inklord
February 18th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Your medium is a perfect candidate for a cursive italic grind, which will give you the line variation you probably desire. It is false news that only broad nibs benefit from customization.

Fred
...one more for that viewpoint - even my fine cursive italics by Mike are fabulous...

pajaro
February 18th, 2017, 06:11 PM
When you make a CI or an italic, you have to take some off the sides as well as the front to make it writable. You don't want to leave a sharp edge. I think that I would have the nib adjusted before going on to grinding. Suit yourself, though.

After a lot of consideration, I didn't like the idea of grinding a Pelikan nib. I had thought of buying a BB nib and having it made into a medium CI. Eventually I decided I didn't want a medium CI with "BB" on the nib. It seemed uncivilized.

ethernautrix
February 18th, 2017, 08:25 PM
Over on fpn, there's a thread entitled... (can't remember exactly. Something about "Small Stub Lovers" (that is, lovers of small stubs)) with pictorial evidence of narrower stub modifications. It's a good resource if you're considering a nib grind.

Chrissy
February 19th, 2017, 02:45 AM
When you make a CI or an italic, you have to take some off the sides as well as the front to make it writable. You don't want to leave a sharp edge. I think that I would have the nib adjusted before going on to grinding. Suit yourself, though.

After a lot of consideration, I didn't like the idea of grinding a Pelikan nib. I had thought of buying a BB nib and having it made into a medium CI. Eventually I decided I didn't want a medium CI with "BB" on the nib. It seemed uncivilized.

Yes, I see what you mean about the sides, you have to take off the sharp corners to make a stub rather than a cursive italic. So that would make it a slightly narrower stub. :)

I wouldn't be comfortable with a CI or Stub that had BB on it either. :)

Spoonage
February 19th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Thanks all for your feedback. I have emails out to Mike, but due to a loss in the family (email auto response) his responses are delayed. I am in no huge rush and family always comes first so I will wait respectfully while he attends to his personal responsibilities.

Pajaro - Yes, I agree that it needs to be adjusted first and foremost. I wanted a fine nib which is what I originally got. The new nib that was shipped was a medium (on accident). So at the end of the day I wanted a fine nib. I would be happy to swap with someone one the forums for a fine, but would not want to swap them into a nib that has issues. Thus to me the option I have is to send it in and get it adjusted and modded.

jar
February 19th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Thanks all for your feedback. I have emails out to Mike, but due to a loss in the family (email auto response) his responses are delayed. I am in no huge rush and family always comes first so I will wait respectfully while he attends to his personal responsibilities.

I would also suggest contacting John Mottishaw and the good folk at IndyPenDance (http://www.indy-pen-dance.com/).

manoeuver
February 19th, 2017, 07:10 AM
Pelikan M is a great candidate for work. Especially from MM.
Unfortunately, I hear from some folks most new Pelikan nibs need a bit of work out of the box...

pajaro
February 19th, 2017, 10:57 AM

Pajaro - Yes, I agree that it needs to be adjusted first and foremost. I wanted a fine nib which is what I originally got. The new nib that was shipped was a medium (on accident). So at the end of the day I wanted a fine nib. I would be happy to swap with someone one the forums for a fine, but would not want to swap them into a nib that has issues. Thus to me the option I have is to send it in and get it adjusted and modded.

This makes good sense. I found the medium on the M1000 to be almost overpowering. The EF was more like it for me. You could have the nib adjusted and turned into a fine. I would guess $40, because I had a quote for turning a Montblanc 146 M nib into a fine, adjustment apparently included, because it would have to be done after the grind.

dms
February 23rd, 2017, 05:05 PM
I don't currently have a M1000. However, I have had Michael Masuyama grind M600 and M800 nibs ranging from M to IB, including every width in between, to cursive italics. All are great writers. None are too narrow, at least to my way of writing. And, FWIW, I also have M and B M600 nibs ground to CI by Richard Binder. Again, no problem. The only Pelikan nibs I have had ground by Mottishaw started out on the broad side, so not helpful to your question.

I enthusiastically endorse the advice to discuss exactly what you want with the nib technician. Otherwise, it's a bit of a crap shoot.

David