PDA

View Full Version : Admin help request (Google Authenticator)

Wade
February 19th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Hi there... the forum will not recognize my login attempts with Google Authenticator, which means Tapatalk is the only way I can currently access the forum. Is there any way of resetting or deactivating two-factor authentication on the admin end? I'd rather not have to create a new account and lose previous posts/messages/files.

Cheers,
Wade

Chrissy
February 19th, 2017, 03:38 PM
If you decide to go down the route of Google Authenticator, two-factor authentication, is there no way to go back and change it to 'switched off' Can Google help you to do that?

I've never chosen to go down that route, and wouldn't do so, but I once tried it on PayPal then changed my mind about it. They were really helpful in taking me back to pre two-factor authentication.

I hope you get it fixed and I wish I could help you more but I don't know enough about it. Have you gone into your Settings, then your Account in the left hand column, and clicking on Two-factor authentication there to find if there is a manual switch off?

Wade
February 19th, 2017, 09:42 PM
Unfortunately I cannot access any forum account settings in Tapatalk. Rest assured, if I can get around this, I'll be shutting two-factor auto down for here. Works a peach elsewhere, but there's no data on the forum important enough to guard with it, lesson learned. Thanks, Chrissy!

Wade
March 4th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Bumping up... are there any site administrators reading these posts?

Chrissy
March 4th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Bumping up... are there any site administrators reading these posts?
Sadly, not very frequently. :(

FredRydr
March 6th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Admin help request....
What's that? It's something from the past, isn't it?

Fred

Chrissy
March 7th, 2017, 02:03 AM
Admin help request....
What's that? It's something from the past, isn't it?

Fred
That maybe true. On the other hand, our most recent troll was dealt with quickly and efficiently, so someone is there. :)

FredRydr
March 7th, 2017, 04:53 AM
...our most recent troll was dealt with quickly and efficiently, so someone is there. :)
I stand corrected, then. Last I saw was July 2015.

Hello Eric!

Fred

jar
March 7th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Unfortunately I cannot access any forum account settings in Tapatalk. Rest assured, if I can get around this, I'll be shutting two-factor auto down for here. Works a peach elsewhere, but there's no data on the forum important enough to guard with it, lesson learned. Thanks, Chrissy!

How are you accessing the site? What OS, device, browser?

Wade
March 7th, 2017, 05:59 AM

Tapatalk on my iPhone is the only way I can get in, otherwise on a Mac using either Safari or Chrome (but usually Safari).

Cheers,
Wade

jar
March 7th, 2017, 06:13 AM

Tapatalk on my iPhone is the only way I can get in, otherwise on a Mac using either Safari or Chrome (but usually Safari).

Cheers,
Wade

Try a windows desktop PC using an up to date chrome or firefox browser. Also turn off Google Authentication through Google before attempting to access FPGeeks.

Wade
March 7th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Will give that a try, thanks for the advice.

Chrissy
March 7th, 2017, 06:55 AM
I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it works for you. :)

Wade
March 7th, 2017, 07:15 AM
No luck I'm afraid, looked promising to start, but still prompts for google authentication and calls my generated code invalid.

jar
March 7th, 2017, 07:17 AM
No luck I'm afraid, looked promising to start, but still prompts for google authentication and calls my generated code invalid.

That's fine. Expected result.

Now go to Google and turn authentication back on and then try getting into FPGeeks.

Wade
March 7th, 2017, 07:20 AM
Same result.

jar
March 7th, 2017, 07:56 AM
are you typing the authentication code or trying to cut & paste?

Wade
March 7th, 2017, 08:08 AM
Typing

Wade
March 7th, 2017, 08:10 AM
I'll try another few times tonight after work... your suggestions have given me another couple ideas to try. I'll post again with more then. Again Jar, thanks a lot, it's really appreciated.