PDA

View Full Version : Paper Choices

southpaw52
March 30th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I have focused my attention on pens and inks through the years. Now that I'm corresponding more I realize the importance of quality paper. That writing on cheap copier paper is not the best choice. I'm wondering what y'all use for paper for corresponding to others.

Tracy Lee
March 30th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Crane, G. Lalo, William Arthur, Crown Mill, and my embossed stuff from American Stationery. I have packed tablets of the first two, plus envelopes, for my two weeks in Oregon. Love the Tomoe River but have no idea where to get it. I also love my Zerkhall Buten but can't find to replenish so its on rations, and I also use quite a bit of Carta di Amalfi paper, though based on expense I didn't use it in February for as much as I was writing. I'll be weaving it in now and again now that I have some regular correspondence going.

Carole
March 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
The Clairefontaine Triomphe tablets and envelopes are my reliable standard, they're easily available and I don't have to worry about which pens and inks I'm using. I use both lined and blank for letters and such.

But -- my order and samples from Nanami Paper arrived this week and they are fantastic! It includes the Life paper (reviewed here by Azizah, and by others online). I can post some pen and ink tests and pics if people want to see the choices. I'm sure I will be using these papers in future. Dave, the owner, is a paper connoisseur, and an FP user, and wonderful to deal with. I really like the stationery set I ordered, too.

Toffer
March 30th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I only really have two I write letters with, a Rhodia dot pad that doesn't look great but writes well but my favourite is my G. Lalo Verge de France. I love it, it feels really nice, looks nice, and writes nice. Haven't tried any others yet, but I'm sure I will! Oh Type40 sent me a sheet of his paper to try and that was really nice but forget what it was now.

Toffer
March 30th, 2013, 03:02 PM
The paper Type40 sent me was American Stationary which was really nice.

gwgtaylor
March 30th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Clairefontaine Triomphe tablets but have 500 sheets of Tomoe River on the way.

Tracy Lee
March 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
but have 500 sheets of Tomoe River on the way.

Yeah, rub that in why don't you? :argue:

gwgtaylor
March 30th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, rub that in why don't you? :argue:

:-D sorry about that. Maybe goulets will carry it?

southpaw52
March 31st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions.

KrazyIvan
March 31st, 2013, 03:21 PM
I am fond of Rhodia #16 dot pad paper but I'm looking for some good correspondence paper too.

Carole
April 1st, 2013, 01:18 AM
I am fond of Rhodia #16 dot pad paper but I'm looking for some good correspondence paper too.

OK--Just tried some of my new correspondence paper: and I can very highly recommend: Cream Writing Paper, White Writing Paper, Quoi De Neuf?, and Pergola, all from Nanami. (no affil)

I also loved the larger size Letter Report Pad and the Noble Note tablets. Excellent fp work tablets, or for letters, too.

They all have a smooth finish, no feathering, lovely shading, absolutely a delight to use. Maybe it's best to let them know what you prefer, and see what they recommended. Many good choices there.
Attached some phone pix (el guano), quickly written. 19561957

earthdawn
April 1st, 2013, 01:52 AM
OK--Just tried some of my new correspondence paper: and I can very highly recommend: Cream Writing Paper, White Writing Paper, Quoi De Neuf?, and Pergola, all from Nanami. (no affil)

I also loved the larger size Letter Report Pad and the Noble Note tablets. Excellent fp work tablets, or for letters, too.

They all have a smooth finish, no feathering, lovely shading, absolutely a delight to use. Maybe it's best to let them know what you prefer, and see what they recommended. Many good choices there.

WOW that looks awesome !!!

I will have to place an order!

Thanks for sharing that. ohhhh yea... beautiful handwritting you have there.

fountainpenkid
April 1st, 2013, 04:43 AM
I use Hammermill business copy paper. Very nice stuff actually. Sometimes I use Clairefontaine as well. I have yet to try anything else except moleskine.

Barbara
April 1st, 2013, 06:39 AM

Beautiful handwriting.

Carole
April 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM
Earthdawn: Thanks for sharing that. ohhhh yea... beautiful handwritting you have there.

Barbara:Beautiful handwriting.

Thanks very much!

fountainpenkid: Is that the 32 lb paper? Very good stuff for sure! I used to make envelopes with it, too--don't laugh, it works!

southpaw52
April 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM

Do you have a resource for the paper you are suggesting?

KrazyIvan
April 1st, 2013, 04:25 PM
Do you have a resource for the paper you are suggesting?

She listed it a while back: http://www.nanamipaper.com/

I already purchased and recieved a Life notepad and a journal. Very nice paper.

southpaw52
April 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you.

caribbean_skye
April 2nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
Thanks Carole for the photos and the lovely handwriting (and that is quick?) and Southpaw52 for bringing this subject up. I do miss the onionskin type paper so I probably will be ordering some from Nanami soonish.

Carole
April 2nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
southpaw52: Do you have a resource for the paper you are suggesting?
Sorry, didn't see your question right away, luckily the Sith Lord was on watch. ;-)

KrazyIvan: She listed it a while back: http://www.nanamipaper.com/
I already purchased and recieved a Life notepad and a journal. Very nice paper.
Thanks, KI! Happy that you liked it.

Thanks Carole for the photos and the lovely handwriting (and that is quick?) and Southpaw52 for bringing this subject up. I do miss the onionskin type paper so I probably will be ordering some from Nanami soonish.
Thanks for the kind words! I just wanted to mention that of the papers I've sampled so far, none of them is really the onionskin type. They're pretty substantial in fact, very fp ink-friendly, and yes, you can write pretty fast with no worries. But maybe you can contact them and ask which of the papers has the consistency you like? I believe they welcome questions, so you can be sure of getting what you want. Enjoy!

Sailor Kenshin
April 3rd, 2013, 08:47 AM

Funny enough but I have been missing onionskin, too...after ransacking the house for some. Look on etsy or fleabay. I just saw some vintage Eaton Crystal Sheers on etsy.

jbb
April 8th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I like onionskin and vintage paper... particularly watermarked paper. I'm a bit of a paper-junkie. I've attached a cool watermark I found recently to show you AND because I'm new to fpgeeks and wanted to find out how to attach a pictures.

Carole
April 9th, 2013, 12:03 AM
I like onionskin and vintage paper... particularly watermarked paper. I'm a bit of a paper-junkie. I've attached a cool watermark I found recently to show you AND because I'm new to fpgeeks and wanted to find out how to attach a pictures.

Very interesting--have never seen one of those before. Is this from vintage paper? Sounds like there might be a good story attached. ;)

Tracy Lee
April 9th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Very cool, Jbb. I like a good watermark, too.

Barbara
April 9th, 2013, 07:05 AM

That's pretty interesting! Nice find!

southpaw52
April 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Great looking watermarked paper, thanks for sharing.

KrazyIvan
April 9th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I do not know why I have always felt like onionskin paper would be fountain pen unfriendly. I have never tried onionskin before so I have no idea where that preconceived notion comes from.

southpaw52
April 9th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Yes that would be my impression also. Never thought of being fp friendly.

caribbean_skye
April 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Funny enough but I have been missing onionskin, too...after ransacking the house for some. Look on etsy or fleabay. I just saw some vintage Eaton Crystal Sheers on etsy.

Oooh did you buy some? I just went on etsy myself and saw some. I'll have to remember that for future purchases.

I do not know why I have always felt like onionskin paper would be fountain pen unfriendly. I have never tried onionskin before so I have no idea where that preconceived notion comes from.

Funny it wasn't until FPN and FPG that I realised that there is fountain pen unfriendly paper. I used FPs on loose leaf paper throughout high school sans issue and at the time the only stationery I could always find was onion skin so for years that's all I wrote on. The next thing I know I couldn't find any where. Somewhere I do have an old pad of onionskin paper, guess I need to go and hunt it down now. Just hope I didn't leave it in GA.

Sailor Kenshin
April 10th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Oooh did you buy some? I just went on etsy myself and saw some. I'll have to remember that for future purchases.

Funny it wasn't until FPN and FPG that I realised that there is fountain pen unfriendly paper. I used FPs on loose leaf paper throughout high school sans issue and at the time the only stationery I could always find was onion skin so for years that's all I wrote on. The next thing I know I couldn't find any where. Somewhere I do have an old pad of onionskin paper, guess I need to go and hunt it down now. Just hope I didn't leave it in GA.

Good luck finding it!

I did not buy the Crystal Sheers... Was waiting for a better color. But I remember really wanting some, long before I got so involved in fountain pens.

I just wrote a pen pal letter on artist drafting vellum...was I surprised! Took the ink like a dream. But it's kind of expensive.

jbb
April 10th, 2013, 04:57 PM
All the hub-bub on FPN's marketplace plus this paper topic got me to finally open an Etsy store and list some of my onionskin paper. YOU could be my first customer: http://www.etsy.com/shop/JBBPensPaper?ref=si_shop

If it's not okay to have this link here let me know and I'll delete it.

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM
All the hub-bub on FPN's marketplace plus this paper topic got me to finally open an Etsy store and list some of my onionskin paper. YOU could be my first customer: http://www.etsy.com/shop/JBBPensPaper?ref=si_shop

You probably get better exposure in the for sale forum.

jbb
April 10th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Do you mean here or at FPN?

Tracy Lee
April 10th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Likely he means here, we have a good for sale forum.

earthdawn
April 11th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Well I bookmarked it before it gets deleted... though i don't think it will...

That was a good idea. I have not bought anything from you BUT I do always look at your ads. You have nice things that dont break the bank.

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Yes, I meant here.

southpaw52
April 11th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Everyone, has provided great replies thank you. I want to comply a list of paper vendors, that y'all frequent.

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2013, 09:30 AM

I just made a paper purchase. :) I want to try that onion skin paper.

Sailor Kenshin
April 11th, 2013, 09:36 AM
The other forum had a post that really rattled me, about someone who was stuck in the house with letters to write and NO PAPER.

O noz! What if this happened to me? Even though I have literal shelves of comp notebooks and spiral-bounds and stuff.

Inspired and shaken, I took to writing grocery lists on the backs of envelopes. A lot of these work really well with fp ink.

Then, searching for alternate paper sources. I just now discovered that you can not write on baking parchment or kitchen wrap, even though they both resemble drafting vellum.

You can write on toilet paper wrapping paper. Barely. But why would you want to?

This led me to ransack my art supplies for tracing paper (yes! it works!) and drafting/artists vellum (ditto!). Which eventually led me to buy some onionskin-y paper from JBB. So this ramble isn't all that OT.

Carole
April 11th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Just listed--it's in notepad form, with an elegant paper cover, in B5 size. $11.99 plus shipping (from California to you).

Mine arrived in perfect condition, which is a big deal when handling this 'delicate but strong' paper. I found it to be really as wonderful as everybody says. And flex-nib-compatible.

Not sure if it's ok to include a direct link? But here it is: http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/tomoe-river-tomoegawa-cream-paper-notepad-b5.html

KrazyIvan
April 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
No problems with direct links here that I know of.

caribbean_skye
April 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks! I'll add you to my etsy "favourites" but upon a quick glance I can see I'm going to be in big trouble soon, happily. :)

Just listed--it's in notepad form, with an elegant paper cover, in B5 size. $11.99 plus shipping (from California to you).

Thanks for the heads up. It didn't list it anywhere, but would you mine telling me how many sheets you got? just curious. Thanks. Now I can't complain that I have no paper choices anymore.

Carole
April 11th, 2013, 02:01 PM
No problems with direct links here that I know of.

Thanks much, KI, and also I didn't mean to break into the onionskins discussion. Earlier upthread people were looking for a source for Tomoe River and all of a sudden, we have one, so wanted to share the info while it was fresh.

Carole
April 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up. It didn't list it anywhere, but would you mine telling me how many sheets you got? just curious. Thanks. Now I can't complain that I have no paper choices anymore.

Happy to tell you--my guess is at least 100--when I get back later tonight I'll check for you. This tablet is so gonna be my tablet for international correspionage! So lightweight, yet durable. I see why people are crazy about it. And it comes with a graph paper guide sheet you can use if you want. Fun.

Tracy Lee
April 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU Carole!!! I am so happy, just ordered 3 tablets, that should hold me for awhile. :-)

earthdawn
April 11th, 2013, 10:51 PM

Mine arrived in perfect condition, which is a big deal when handling this 'delicate but strong' paper. I found it to be really as wonderful as everybody says. And flex-nib-compatible.

Not sure if it's ok to include a direct link? But here it is: http://www.nanamipaper.com/products/tomoe-river-tomoegawa-cream-paper-notepad-b5.html

Links are fine... And that site is AWESOME !!!

Holy smokes I need to place a large order... WOW ...

Thank you for sharing it.

earthdawn
April 11th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Hey,,,...

Anyone know from the http://www.nanamipaper.com site what size envelopes go with the A5 size paper?

Thanks !!!

cedargirl
April 12th, 2013, 12:57 AM
C6 is what you need if you fold the A5 in half. But I'm not sure what they have available on the nanamipaper site.

Here is an envelope sizing link: http://www.edsebooks.com/paper/env.html

writingrav
April 12th, 2013, 04:17 AM

This is BIG. Thanks so much for discovering this. My first order is in.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 09:01 AM
When ordering, just select the add envelopes check box and they include the right size. It should be noted that for the Life Co. envelopes, they do not have adhesive. I had to tape my last letter shut because I did not realize this beforehand. Otherwise, they are excellent and take FP ink very nicely!

Carole
April 12th, 2013, 01:24 PM
TracyLee, earthdawn, writingrav, You are most welcome and happy this was good info. Caribbean_skye, it is 100 pages, you're right it wasn't on the site but I think they're adding it in. KI--I didn't know that, -maybe they'll want to add it in the description? The owner is really responsive, so maybe he'd like to hear? Envelopes that take ink well are always a good find, so that's kind of a sticking point. (sorry! sorry. couldn't help it.) :rolleyes:

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM
KI--I didn't know that, -maybe they'll want to add it in the description? The owner is really responsive, so maybe he'd like to hear? Envelopes that take ink well are always a good find, so that's kind of a sticking point. (sorry! sorry. couldn't help it.) :rolleyes:

I noticed. He replied to my inquiry on a shipping cancellation email I recieved very quickly (he had printer troubles).

Sticking point. Ha! :crazy_pilot:

jbb
April 12th, 2013, 01:42 PM
TracyLee, earthdawn, writingrav, You are most welcome and happy this was good info. Caribbean_skye, it is 100 pages, you're right it wasn't on the site but I think they're adding it in. KI--I didn't know that, -maybe they'll want to add it in the description? The owner is really responsive, so maybe he'd like to hear? Envelopes that take ink well are always a good find, so that's kind of a sticking point. (sorry! sorry. couldn't help it.) :rolleyes:

I've got FP friendly envelopes for sale in the FPN Classifieds from which I am currently banned. HA! Now that's a twist on an already ironic situation....
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/classifieds/item/17371-envelopes-fountain-dip-pen-friendly/

tytoalba
April 12th, 2013, 03:02 PM
banned? why would you be banned? I pointedly made comment that there were folks with modest offerings that benefit the pen community, who would be left out with the new requirements (fees), and I was not banned for urging these people be considered. I did word this as a suggestion, not a demand. I ditto'ed your suggestion about having another tier (20. and under I think it was?), but your suggestion didn't appear inflammatory either.. I posted today so I'm not banned.
Sure hope this sorts out, positively for all, and soon.
(need an emoticon with a discouraged, and surprised dropped jaw)...

jbb
April 12th, 2013, 04:13 PM
banned? why would you be banned? I pointedly made comment that there were folks with modest offerings that benefit the pen community, who would be left out with the new requirements (fees), and I was not banned for urging these people be considered. I did word this as a suggestion, not a demand. I ditto'ed your suggestion about having another tier (20. and under I think it was?), but your suggestion didn't appear inflammatory either.. I posted today so I'm not banned.
Sure hope this sorts out, positively for all, and soon.
(need an emoticon with a discouraged, and surprised dropped jaw)...
A group of us were banned from one post concerning the new policies. There's some of the story is here:
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/1981-What-is-up-with-FPN Or you can back channel me it you like.

tytoalba
April 12th, 2013, 06:02 PM
beg pardon for interrupting the paper choice thread - simple shock at this news...
I had read the beginning of the linked thread, which also read as polite. I didn't read the final posts of the thread that was pulled, and which I had posted inquiry in, but again it all appeared to be polite inquiry as to how those who provided small items would be able to continue to provide these to the community. Tame, innocent stuff. I hope it all resolves positively after some time. Perhaps this was a result of many changes at once, and/or with final wording of the description not well considered??? From what I read to be timed-out/banned without discussion seems highly unusual, and possibly an error.

earthdawn
April 12th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Just put my order in :)

What a great little online paper store!

Sailor Kenshin
April 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Seeing familiar names here, and dittos to all.

Still experimenting with different and sundry papers in my collection: a Hogwarts-looking Strathmore parchment that will probably look good with black or sepia ink. IF it likes fountain pens at all.

woosang
April 13th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Happy to tell you--my guess is at least 100--when I get back later tonight I'll check for you. This tablet is so gonna be my tablet for international correspionage! So lightweight, yet durable. I see why people are crazy about it. And it comes with a graph paper guide sheet you can use if you want. Fun.

Carole I bought two pads from you, to my US address but for future reference do or can you post to Australia?

Also getting cream in tohme paper anytime soon?

Carole
April 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Carole I bought two pads from you, to my US address but for future reference do or can you post to Australia?

Also getting cream in tohme paper anytime soon?

Hello dear woosang,

Sorry for the confusion, I'm actually not the seller, it's a nice person named Dave, and if you'd like to contact him (info on the Nanami website), I'm sure he would talk with you about posting to Australia.
btw, I've been admiring your handwriting, pens and inks--and hope you enjoy the Tomoe River!

earthdawn, so happy you like it!

woosang
April 13th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Hello dear woosang,

Sorry for the confusion, I'm actually not the seller, it's a nice person named Dave, and if you'd like to contact him (info on the Nanami website), I'm sure he would talk with you about posting to Australia.
btw, I've been admiring your handwriting, pens and inks--and hope you enjoy the Tomoe River!

earthdawn, so happy you like it!

Oops!! Ok i'll contact him. :-)
Thank you :-)

earthdawn
April 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Just put my order in :)

What a great little online paper store!

Wow I just got my order this afternoon!!!!

That was really fast.

Ill start a new thread when I get home with some pics and writing samples

writingrav
April 16th, 2013, 04:29 AM
My paper arrived yesterday also. Fabulous paper, fabulous service. I unfortunately ordered the envelopes with no glue as mentioned by KI -- but now my wax seals are no longer just decorative, but doing the job they were intended for originally. Very cool!

KrazyIvan
April 16th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I bought a seal but have to find a better way to melt the wax than with my tiny peanut lighter. It's the one on the left. (Not my image, countycomm.com) I do have some silver sticker type seals for the mean time.

http://countycomm.com/_images/tipeanutlighter/tipeanutlargelarge6.jpg

jbb
April 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
I bought a seal but have to find a better way to melt the wax than with my tiny peanut lighter. It's the one on the left. (Not my image, countycomm.com) I do have some silver sticker type seals for the mean time.

I've started using my sealing wax a lot more lately. I use a candle for melting it.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4131/4963197617_2b239b6439_o.jpg

woosang
April 16th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I need to improve my melting technique

writingrav
April 16th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I use a long lighter

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
April 16th, 2013, 09:48 AM
I do have one of those butane torch type lighters with a long neck. I seemed to have misplaced it though. I'll probably have to get another one. I still have the butane refills.

Sailor Kenshin
April 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I have o ne or two OLD sealing wax sticks with their own wicks.

caribbean_skye
April 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM

I do too and almost set the carpet on fire.

Bogon07
April 17th, 2013, 06:50 PM
JBB, Interesting picture you could be accused of witchcraft or alchemy with that set up.
I like the old world charm of the candel-snuffer or what ever it is called.

Do you have the same design on stamps ?

So what is the current fashion with seals ?
Initials
Coats of arms
Symbols

The local CSO has a small seal set with wicked wax sticks.
It was hard to see the design on seal through the plastic, maybe something like a celtic knot.

Tracy Lee
April 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I have a scorpion, a dragon, a fancy "B", a half moon, a fleur di lis, something that looks like a plant, and a few others. You can get practically anything in a seal, anything goes I think. All personal taste.

writingrav
April 17th, 2013, 07:54 PM

I find that the wax sticks that come with their own wicks are useless.

Bogon07
April 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Thanks Tracy Lee. Now something new to look for in the stationery shop visits.

Bogon07
April 17th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I find that the wax sticks that come with their own wicks are useless.

Unless you want to set the carpet on fire like Caribbean_skye.

Sailor Kenshin
April 18th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Unless you want to set the carpet on fire like Caribbean_skye.

Never happened to me, and I used them for years. Wonder if I still have my seal.

woosang
April 18th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I have a scorpion, a dragon, a fancy "B", a half moon, a fleur di lis, something that looks like a plant, and a few others. You can get practically anything in a seal, anything goes I think. All personal taste.

A dragon! I would love that.. Or a lighthouse I only have my initials

Tracy Lee
April 18th, 2013, 12:31 PM
A dragon! I would love that.. Or a lighthouse I only have my initials

I learned a tip to put the seal on an ink pad of a metallic silver or gold, then stamp the melted wax. It leaves the ink in the wax around the image but the image stays the wax color. Really a cool effect. Watch EBay - gobs and gobs of seals available. GOBS, and places that make custom seals, too.

Tracy Lee
April 18th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Thanks Tracy Lee. Now something new to look for in the stationery shop visits.

My pleasure. If I'm gonna go poor adding to my habit then so are all y'all. :):D

jbb
April 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Leather stamps can be used for sealing wax seals. They're often less expensive. Here's a dragon seal that I no longer have but I still have the photo.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4145/5189283015_d14539eec7_o.jpg

fiberdrunk
April 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I like Strathmore Calligraphy very much for corresondence. You used to be able to get matching #10 envelopes for it, but I can't seem to find them in this exact kind of paper (with the laid pattern) any more. You can get this paper at Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/products/strathmore-400-series-calligraphy-pad/?clickTracking=true&CAWELAID=520010530000090767).

There's also Strathmore Parchment, which is more widely available (like at A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby). The sheets are a lot thicker, though. More like something you'd use for certificates (though I have used it to write letters with, too). A pad contains different colored sheets:

fncll
August 27th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I've used the Strathmore Parchment as well...and quite liked it. It is pretty heavy if one's letter is going to be more than 2 pages long or so.