PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to load photos, using carlos.q method

jarc
February 21st, 2017, 09:56 AM

Well, the photos arrived to plan/instructions but have somehow turned on their side. I have no idea why or how to correct it to a portrait and not landscape presentation. The original photos are in portrait presentation.
These are photos of my gorgeous Granddaughter, who will be four years in May. She is my world idol.

Chrissy
February 21st, 2017, 10:09 AM
Incorrect photo format usually happens when you use the forum via a mobile phone rather than using it on a laptop or desktop. But you can edit your post. You would need to select 'edit post', then 'Go advanced', and click on the 'Manage attachments' box. When the attachments box comes up, you need to click and drag the photo you want to delete down into the lower box, then select it and click on the small 'X' to delete it.

I've never had an attachment turn onto it's side for me, so I don't know the reason they did that. It could be that they are still quite big. In fact it was 53cm wide, a 9Mb image, which is really big

These images are now 800 pixels wide at 300 pixels per inch from the original 53cm wide at 72 pixels per inch

jarc
February 22nd, 2017, 03:34 AM
Chrissy
Many thanks.
The photo was in fact from my laptop so I can only assume it was something to do with size that caused the wrong orientation. Not that I profess to understand what you kindly explained. Nevertheless I will attempt to study and understand your explanation and attempt to find out how to resize my photos.
Regards.

Chrissy
February 22nd, 2017, 04:31 AM
I will see if I can send you these photos, then if you look at them in your email you should be able to copy them into your attachments and reload them under Manage Attachments, so that you have them for yourself.

When you want to see an image on a computer, it shouldn't be large in actual width or height i.e. inches or centimetres. Instead it should contain more pixels per inch, because that makes it a higher definition image that can safely be reduced to something like 800 - 1000 total pixels wide. That's about as much as you need on any screen. You only need a huge image like yours for printing.

Using Photoshop, I cropped your 1st image slightly, then sized it up to a higher definition of 300 pixels per inch from your original 72 pixels per inch. Then I reduced it's width to 800 pixels total. That's like a standard width for computer screens.

45ist
February 22nd, 2017, 04:32 AM
Not a very technical way (and one which will send purists into fits of laughter maybe) to resize your photos from your laptop, but fairly straightforward for the basic user, is as follows:

Find the photo you want in Explorer
Right Click and select 'Open with'
select Paint
(your photo will now open in Paint)
select Resize
you can now Resize by % or pixels
select 30% for both Horizontal AND Vertical which should be fine for forum use - remember to enter the same % for both, or you will distort the photo
(you will see a Rotate option too - if you need that)
now select File, Save As and select the png or jpeg option and give the file a new name (remember to take a note of where the folder is)....make sure you use the Save As option as you don't want to permanently change your original file (photo)

I hope this helps - maybe best to make a copy of the chosen photo before you start the process, just so you don't ruin a treasured photo of the grandchildren

Good luck

carlos.q
February 22nd, 2017, 05:23 AM
I just want to thank jarc for his comment on the "carlos.q method" but I did not invent this.
I believe that is the way the board software is set up to upload pictures and I assure all of you I had nothing to do with the design. :redface:

jarc
February 23rd, 2017, 09:22 AM
Not a very technical way (and one which will send purists into fits of laughter maybe) to resize your photos from your laptop, but fairly straightforward for the basic user, is as follows:

Find the photo you want in Explorer
Right Click and select 'Open with'
select Paint
(your photo will now open in Paint)
select Resize
you can now Resize by % or pixels
select 30% for both Horizontal AND Vertical which should be fine for forum use - remember to enter the same % for both, or you will distort the photo
(you will see a Rotate option too - if you need that)
now select File, Save As and select the png or jpeg option and give the file a new name (remember to take a note of where the folder is)....make sure you use the Save As option as you don't want to permanently change your original file (photo)

I hope this helps - maybe best to make a copy of the chosen photo before you start the process, just so you don't ruin a treasured photo of the grandchildren

Good luck

45ist Many thanks for this method of resizing. Hope I can repeat when needed.

Have tried resizing and am not sure I have achieved it but am posting a photo in the hope that it has been reduced.
Well it`s there and with the right orientation.I have no idea of it`s size, or how to check. It is supposed to be 800 x 558 ???, I think.

This is the youngster of the family, Charlie. He is a half bred Oriental Bengal. Dad was the Bengal and Mum was a Ginger and White "moggy". He is an absolute devil and should have been called Satan but he is a very very affectionate boy. He is now ten months of age.

Thanks and Regards to all.