PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Konrad + Goulet #6--does it still work?

CelticKnott
February 21st, 2017, 09:13 PM
I just got a Konrad Acrylic and while I love how it looks, it's leaking like crazy and when I adjust so it isn't leaking, it's really dry, and railroads. (So I guess, first question is--any foolproof way to fix this? My Ahab does it too. Huge drops of ink coming out of the nib or feed somewhere and before I know it my paper or my hand is full of ink.

My second question is: I just saw a thread on reddit that seemed to say that, as of, idk, an hour or so ago (so, today), there's been some change to the Konrad recently and the goulet #6 nibs no longer work/fit. Apparently there's some kind of notch that's been machined into the body? Does anyone know if this is true? I just ordered a goulet #6 F to replace the flex in my Konrad, and now I'm kind of freaked out that it isn't going to work.

New to the forums--thanks in advance!

Dreck
February 22nd, 2017, 11:33 AM
Wow. While the end resolution may be fairly simple, getting there may be a very involved process. The problems you're experiencing could stem from any number of things. First off, welcome!
OK, when you say you just got it, did you get it new or used? If it is used, there is a possibility that it's been damaged by a previous owner.
If it is new, how are you adjusting it so that it isn't leaking? Exactly what are you doing?
Are the piston threads properly greased? Did you make sure that the piston assembly was screwed completely back into the end of the pen body? If you imagine a fountain pen as a straw and your finger over the end as the means of keeping the liquid inside the straw, I'm wondering if maybe there isn't a gap that is interfering with the air pressure.
I cannot speak to the Reddit thread. I bought my Konrads years ago, and while they've all worked flawlessly, I don't know what is being done currently. The only time I've ever experienced an ink-splosion of the magnitude you describe, it was due to overfilling an ebonite eyedropper.