PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 section removal

Empty_of_Clouds
February 23rd, 2017, 11:57 AM
Okay, start a new thread for this.

I have a grey Parker 51 demi (though it may be a 21 Super or something else). I bought it because it has an interesting nib (OBB I think). Anyway, i also bought a prototype dark grey barrel and section from the Kullock people. The intention was to remove the nib/feed and ring, and swap into the Kullock parts.

Okay, the Kullock parts are standard size. I have another broken Mk1 51 from which I was going to scavenge the section ring, feed and filler. In my quest to make one functioning frankenpen from two broken pens I found that the Kullock parts are slightly smaller than a Mk1 51, so nothing fits.

Also, I cannot remove the section on the grey "51" to get the nib out. I've tried soaking it several times, in boiling water no less (started less warm, got frustrated). I've tried rubberised grippy pliers as well. All to no avail, the section will not come off. Now I notice it has a small leak.

Anyway, the nib alone is worth saving, or at least I think so.

There are not many choices.

1. I forcibly remove the section, destroying it in the process.
2. I donate the whole sorry mess to someone and wash my hands of it.

Pictures later.

D Armstrong
February 23rd, 2017, 01:08 PM
Sounds frustrating. Sometimes they are very, very hard to get off.

I have found that the most effective method is to soak the hood end in a warm solution of: water (95%), household ammonia (5%), and a drop of dish soap. This is quite effective in dissolving old ink which may be cementing the hood in place. An hour should be enough.

After it has soaked, use dry heat to warm up the hood so that it is hot, but you can still comfortably hold it against your inner wrist indefinitely (about 160ºF). This should soften any sealant that may be holding it in place. You may have to do this several times.

The plastic Parker used is quite robust, so if it takes so much force that it breaks, there may be another issue in play. Sometimes you run into cases where some bright bunny has used nail polish or something to glue it in place. You are right in thinking that the nib, in this case, is the most valuable part of the pen. Sometimes the hood just can't be saved.

A good source for P51 parts is Ernesto Soler, at Parker51.com (http://parker51.com). He has most parts, is quick to ship, and quite reasonable for prices. It works best to email him directly.

Hope this helps.

Jon Szanto
February 23rd, 2017, 01:51 PM
David's post is full of good info. The hood usually has a sealant on the threads, and the dry heat is pretty much necessary. Patience on this is important - I tried to rush it, got it too hot, and completely warped a hood on a demi. I learned my lesson, as so many in pen repair, the hard way.

Farmboy
February 23rd, 2017, 09:13 PM
Send me the sorry mess and I'll make you the best pen possible from the parts.

I hate to see 51s get boiled and I like Kiwi stamps.

Hawk
February 23rd, 2017, 10:05 PM
Hot water, patience a quick twist and the hood budged a little. Repeated the same and it unscrewed. A long hot water (160 degrees or so) eventually worked. I made several attempts over several days and walked away from the pen before I won.

Anne
February 23rd, 2017, 11:28 PM
I second the suggestion on being Patient ( I know it may be a bit maddening ) and the use of Dry heat.
I had the same experience with a Parker 51 Aerometric. I bought the pen over 2 years ago and could not open it then. I bought tools from the Pen Practice so I had confidence I was bringing the right tools to the job.
I wound up putting the pen away for all that time!
I watched Glenn Atkins awesome video on a complete restoration of these pens and wondered why it wasn't working for Me!
I switched to the hairdryer and cringed when I pushed the button up to higher heat ... after about three or four rounds it very smoothly came off.
It was definitely pretty clean inside due to the prior soaks, but it did have a bit of ink and A LOT of hard glue substance - maybe not even shellac?
I could not even see the threads ... now how to clean that ... !

Please don't lose patience with it and resort to just plain brute force - let me be another living example that it Will Come Off.

Empty_of_Clouds
February 24th, 2017, 12:53 AM

That's very kind. Please pm a viable address and I'll send everything I've got. Also, let me know the cost of any replacement parts and return shipping so I reimburse accordingly.

ethernautrix
February 24th, 2017, 03:29 AM
I told you. FarmBoy's your man. Hooray!

Anne
February 24th, 2017, 11:31 AM

How Awesome:) I love a happy ending and even more, I love to hear someone willing to help in this way.
All Hail Farmboy!

carlos.q
February 24th, 2017, 11:37 AM

How Awesome:) I love a happy ending and even more, I love to hear someone willing to help in this way.
All Hail Farmboy!

:fans::fans::fans: