PDA

View Full Version : SOLD FS: Quality Wooden Chess Pieces (The House of Staunton)

Zhivago
February 25th, 2017, 05:04 PM
For sale are four different sets of wood chessmen. The first three by The House of Staunton (HoS), one of the premier makers of quality chess sets (and boards, etc.) in the USA and world. All were used lightly and are in excellent condition. All the HoS sets come in presentation/storage boxes, though different ones than shown in the links below. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like additional information and/or additional pictures. My pictures below are in the same order as my descriptions. There are two pictures each of the HoS sets, but only one of the non HoS set.

First is an HoS Liberty Series in rosewood and boxwood. It will come with two queens for both colors. I've had the set for eight to ten years, but I think the current HoS listing would still be accurate for the version listed here. http://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-liberty-series-chess-pieces-4-0-king.html $60 including shipping in the USA; will accept PayPal or check/money order. The Liberty set has sold.

Next is an HoS Windsor Series in red and ivory lacquered (not actual ivory). It will come with only one queen per side. I don't think this particular version of the Windsor is still offered by HoS. The details in the following link should still be accurate for this version (please look at black-ivory lacquered option in the link). http://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-windsor-series-chess-pieces-3-75-king.html $60 including shipping in the USA; will accept PayPal or check/money order.

The last HoS set is an ebonized Royal Series (natural and ebonized boxwood). It also is no longer produced by HoS; though they offer a similar version under the same name. It will come with two queens per side. The Royal is a smaller set; the King is only 3 and 4/8 inches. It probably looks its best on a board with two inch squares (not the more standard 2.25 inches) The fleur-de-lis style finial on the Kings is particularly unique and attractive. Ebonized pieces are not actually made of ebony, but stained to look just like real ebony. $65 including shipping in the USA; will accept PayPal or check/money order. Royal Series set has sold.

The last set is a non HoS set (no presentation/storage box). Its design is one of the most common for international tournament play. I'm not sure of the woods used. It comes with one queen per side. The Kings are 3.75 inches. The bottoms of the pieces have the same or similar type felt material. I have three of these sets available for purchase. $30 per set, including shipping in the USA; will accept PayPal or check/money order.

Thank you.

Zhivago
April 27th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Bump; price reduced on the remaining HoS Windsor set to $68.

Zhivago
June 17th, 2017, 12:11 PM
Bump; price reduced on the remaining HoS Windsor set to $60 and the non HOS sets to $30.

sumitchess
November 9th, 2023, 11:33 PM
I recently came across a captivating chess set, specifically the wooden tournament chess set (https://www.chessbazaar.com/chess-sets/tournament-chess-sets.html) featuring a distinctive German knight. While I currently possess a standard plastic chess set, which I acquired from chessbazaar, the allure of the intricately crafted wooden pieces has sparked my interest. The tournament chess set's elegant design and the unique German knight add a touch of tradition feel to the game, encourages me to consider upgrading my collection in the near future.