PDA

View Full Version : Parker 45 - new to me - cartridges?

N6GQ
February 25th, 2017, 07:52 PM
I just found and bought a really nice parker 45 from ebay. Its much cleaner and nicer than I thought for the $10 I paid - essentially NIB.

Anyhow, no cartridge. I have cartridges for my Metropolitan but they don't seem to fit. I also have international shorts but I don't think they'll fit either.

I've seen "Quink" cartridges but don't have any. Is that what I want?

Thanks! :baby:

KrazyIvan
February 25th, 2017, 08:00 PM
You'll have to get the Parker cartridges. Not sure if a Parker converter will fit in a 45.

N6GQ
February 25th, 2017, 08:08 PM
You'll have to get the Parker cartridges. Not sure if a Parker converter will fit in a 45.

I have Pilot Namiki cartridges that fit my Pilot Metropolitan but they don't fit this...so there must be another Pilot cartridge?

KrazyIvan
February 25th, 2017, 08:24 PM

I have Pilot Namiki cartridges that fit my Pilot Metropolitan but they don't fit this...so there must be another Pilot cartridge?

Pilot is not compatible with Parker. Parker uses its own proprietary cartridge.

N6GQ
February 25th, 2017, 08:27 PM

Pilot is not compatible with Parker. Parker uses its own proprietary cartridge.

Feeling stupid. Yes, you're right, Pilot is different than Parker. For some reason I equated the two in my gourd. Sigh.

KrazyIvan
February 25th, 2017, 08:41 PM
:bounce: I had to make sure I had not misread and make sure it was not a Pilot model I was not aware of.

carlos.q
February 25th, 2017, 09:19 PM
If you have a spare Lamy Z26 converter it will most probably fit your Parker 45.

Lady Onogaro
February 25th, 2017, 10:17 PM
I've used Lamy cartridges in my Parker 45, too. They work.

Chrissy
February 26th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Parker long cartridges or Parker converters will fit into a Parker 45

stub
February 26th, 2017, 01:29 AM
You have to force the Lamy stuff in there. I don't recommend it unless you are desperate.

Buy Aurora or Parker cartridges or converters. (Aurora used Parker's format)

carlos.q
February 26th, 2017, 04:37 AM
You have to force the Lamy stuff in there. I don't recommend it unless you are desperate.

Well, I really don't know about "desperate", but in my case it was about being very curious... :wink:

I read about this tip on another board and immediately headed out to my local B&M to buy a Lamy Z26 converter (not the red but the black one). It fits my Parker 45 perfectly so I guess this is another case of YMMV.

stub
February 26th, 2017, 04:59 AM

Well, I really don't know about "desperate", but in my case it was about being very curious... :wink:

I read about this tip on another board and immediately headed out to my local B&M to buy a Lamy Z26 converter (not the red but the black one). It fits my Parker 45 perfectly so I guess this is another case of YMMV.

I was addressing the OP who seems to be somewhat new to this.

There is a ever so slightly smaller diameter at the c/c openening for the Lamy stuff. The Lamy is like 0.3mm smaller than the Parker but the Lamy cartridge will usually seat very snuggly into a Parker 45. Well enough that you can use it.

But you could also possibly eff up your pen or find that, down the road, Parker stuff no longer seats properly.

for the record I had a very badly foobard Parker 45 and a bunch of Lamy carts to get rid of and used them up but it was a pen I didn't care about.

Your call.

If your pen breaks call carlos.q. har har

stub
February 26th, 2017, 05:01 AM
Also, for the record Aurora Ink is pretty awesome & the Parker/Aurora cartridges work really really really well. (IMO).

TAP TANK YO!

jar
February 26th, 2017, 05:03 AM
Also the early ST Dupont cartridges/converters marked to fit in the Classique, Lady, Gatsby and Montparnasse will fit. Not the cartridges/converters designed for the newer models though.

N6GQ
February 26th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Thanks everyone!

carlos.q
February 26th, 2017, 09:19 AM

I was addressing the OP who seems to be somewhat new to this.

There is a ever so slightly smaller diameter at the c/c openening for the Lamy stuff. The Lamy is like 0.3mm smaller than the Parker but the Lamy cartridge will usually seat very snuggly into a Parker 45. Well enough that you can use it.

But you could also possibly eff up your pen or find that, down the road, Parker stuff no longer seats properly.

for the record I had a very badly foobard Parker 45 and a bunch of Lamy carts to get rid of and used them up but it was a pen I didn't care about.

Your call.

If your pen breaks call carlos.q. har har

As I said in my previous post, YMMV. In my case I must point out that I have used the Z26 converter in a 45 with no problems for over a year.

However let's put our money (and pens) where our mouth is: should the OP decide to use this suggestion and "eff up" his pen, I will gladly send him this NOS Parker 45, with Parker converter, free of charge.

PS. If the OP decides not to use the Z26 suggestion, I'll PIF this pen... with the Lamy converter. :wink:

stub
February 26th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Okay. If the pif goes on, I have a P45 (sorry, not NOS) I will throw in to the runner up.

WITH THE PROPER PARKER CONVERTER

MEET ME AT 60 paces.

(though my p45 isn't as nice as yours, that is a nice one.)

N6GQ
February 26th, 2017, 10:13 AM
You guys are funny - I'll just order some real Parker cartridges :) and I'm on the lookout now for a decent P51 user as well if anyone has one they don't want anymore [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stub
February 26th, 2017, 10:17 AM
You guys are funny - I'll just order some real Parker cartridges :) and I'm on the lookout now for a decent P51 user as well if anyone has one they don't want anymore [emoji3]

Keep an eye out for Rick Krantz or post in the WTB. Also keep an eye out on FPN for farmboy or penfisher.

Runnin_Ute
February 26th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Parker uses a proprietary cartridge.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Hawk
February 26th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Parker converters are easy to obtain. For a Parker 51, the aerometric is a better choice. The vac is more 'fiddely' but they are great pens also. I have and like both. The Parker 21 is a good choice for the money. However, the plastic is more prone to cracking than the 51 (different material).

pajaro
February 26th, 2017, 04:02 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A decent 51 will run upwards of fifty dollars, and that's probably a tad bit light. For a user grade pen. Sometimes you might get lucky, and you might get one on down the road a piece. Under twenty dollars is a turn of the century price. Back then you might have done it. You still might, with patience.

Hawk
February 26th, 2017, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=N6GQ;201081]You guys are funny - I'll just order some real Parker cartridges :) and I'm on the lookout now for a decent P51 user as well if anyone has one they don't want anymore [emoji3]

A decent 51 will run upwards of fifty dollars, and that's probably a tad bit light. For a user grade pen. Sometimes you might get lucky, and you might get one on down the road a piece. Under twenty dollars is a turn of the century price. Back then you might have done it. You still might, with patience.

A friend found and bought me a 51 pen/pencil set in a box for $10. He also found third tier junk pens that he paid up to $15. Through a pen club, I bought two 51's for $30 each at seperate times. Save up a little more money in order to get a good pen.

pajaro
February 26th, 2017, 09:45 PM
That's kind of a contradictory message.

N6GQ
February 28th, 2017, 03:59 PM
So I have been playing with the Parker 45. I disassembled it and cleaned it thorougly. Since I don't have any cartridges or a converter that will fit it, I took the old "Quink" cartridge that it came with and washed it out, and then sucked some ink from some Pilot Namiki blue black cartridges I had laying around, and squirted it into the old Quink cartridge. After quite some time, I finally got it to start, and it now is writing along with a very nice fine line. Really hard to beat, this pen is almost mint, and for $9 on Fleabay, I can't complain. It took a bit of soaking and cleaning, I think the previous owner left the Quink cartridge on there for many years without a cleaning because it really puked ink for quite some time as I was rinsing and soaking. :rain:

Nonetheless, I now have what looks like a brand new Parker 45 - no scratches or otherwise. Its sort of a drab green color but that's just fine by me. Now that I know how they work I'll start looking for more of them :baby:

Thanks for the help!

pajaro
February 28th, 2017, 04:36 PM
You have done the right things with the 45 to get it running. The style of the 45 is distinctive. I sometimes use one when I feel nostalgic for the 1960s. The pens have a very sixties style, and they are rugged and user friendly. Any of the Parker converters will work in them, but I feel that I get the best performance and the best sense of nostalgia when using the old squeeze converter that came with 45s.

N6GQ
February 28th, 2017, 04:41 PM
You have done the right things with the 45 to get it running. The style of the 45 is distinctive. I sometimes use one when I feel nostalgic for the 1960s. The pens have a very sixties style, and they are rugged and user friendly. Any of the Parker converters will work in them, but I feel that I get the best performance and the best sense of nostalgia when using the old squeeze converter that came with 45s.

Thank you - and yes, I feel the same way. I wasn't born until the late 60's but I do get a nostalgic feel looking at it and using it. I'll start looking for a converter :)

Hawk
February 28th, 2017, 05:38 PM
When I switch pens to use on a daily basis, quite often I pick up one of my 45's. The one I use most is one that has a shrunken hood due to the cap retaining clip pressing on the hood for years. They are certainly neat and brings me back to when I was young. Enjoy your find.

stub
March 1st, 2017, 01:08 AM
I also admit that nostalgia plays a big role in my enjoyment of the Parker 45 and the Sheaffer Nononsense, though both are genuinely excellent pens.

The 45 really does have a distinctive 60s style. It looks like it would be right at home on the set of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and it was (Like Sheaffer School pens) ubiquitous in my youth. Other than the hood shrink-o-rama they are indeed rugged pens, though I will confess to disliking that one style of squeeze converter in this particular pen. The long tube ones that are shaped just like the cartridges are fantastic but that more bulky complicated one often gets the ink sac pinched behind the squeeze bar. That old pull back converter works great too and so does the modern piston one but for some reason I tend to syringe fill old tap tank cartridges a lot with these pens and b/c I love Aurora blue my travel kit is often a P45 with Aurora Blue cartridges and often a Nononsense with Skrip Blue (a perfectly good medium blue ink that gets no love).

Enjoy.

stub
March 1st, 2017, 01:11 AM
http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/parkvert.jpg

I dig 1, 2, 4, 5, & 6.

#3 is the one where you pinch a hole in the sack and ruin your new pants. #the70s. haha

pajaro
March 1st, 2017, 01:27 AM
The Skrip blue used to be hard for me to read. This changed when I used extra fine nibs. Then the Skrip blue was easier to read. Must be that there is something wrong with my eyes.

Littleblue
March 3rd, 2017, 04:18 PM
The P45 was my first foray into the world of fountain pens too. That was over eight years ago. I had a fit full at one point but I only have two beauties now. A Harlequin shield. And a rolled gold and forest green trio (FP/BP/MP) which still have the chalk marks. I have a handful of nibs and sections. My rarest nib is a BB