PDA

View Full Version : Uhm, a little ink/nib question...

caribbean_skye
April 2nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
So, the unfortunate thing happened and I suspected it would happen too. The nib slipped off into an almost full bottle of Noodlers Ink. I haven't quite figured out how to retrieve it yet, but I'm wondering whether anyone knows whether the nib or ink would have adverse reactions if the nib stayed there for an unspecified amount of time.

Yes, never a dull moment in my life. Thanks in advance for your help.
Thanks
Lesley/Skye

Bogon07
April 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
If it was a steel nib possibly you could use a magnet to get it out or fine pointed dissecting tweezers. Or pour out the ink into another container, decant sounds better.

Not being a notable niberatti so don't take my word on it but nibs and inks are in contact for a lot of time without adverse reactions and if totally submerged there should not be a problem.
If you do leave it in the bottle add label so you know where it is. It it will save you searching around for hours wondering what happen to the nib in a few months time.

caribbean_skye
April 2nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
I should have known that something untoward was going to happen when I inked my pen and my fingers remained ink-free.

2 shot glasses and a pipette later and wallah, we have a nib (along with inky fingers).

The fun continues... Thanks KI.

caribbean_skye
April 2nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
If it was a steel nib possibly you could use a magnet to get it out or fine pointed dissecting tweezers. Or pour out the ink into another container, decant sounds better.

Not being a notable niberatti so don't take my word on it but nibs and inks are in contact for a lot of time without adverse reactions and if totally submerged there should not be a problem.
If you do leave it in the bottle add label so you know where it is. It it will save you searching around for hours wondering what happen to the nib in a few months time.

Unfortunately no magnet or tweezers long enough but decant was a good idea. Didn't pour as I knew that would be another disaster waiting to happen.

I had considered leaving it in the bottle as a "surprise" for when I finally reached the bottom but was concerned about what it would do to ink.

Thanks Bogon!

KrazyIvan
April 2nd, 2013, 04:25 PM
I was thinking the magnet could catch it from the outside of the bottle and you just slowly move up the bottle with it in tow. I checked my Lamy here and the nibs are not magnetic.

Bogon07
April 2nd, 2013, 04:32 PM
I was thinking the magnet could catch it from the outside of the bottle and you just slowly move up the bottle with it in tow. I checked my Lamy here and the nibs are not magnetic.
Good to know we won't set of a magnetic mine with our Lamy nibs.

manoeuver
April 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Good to know we won't set of a magnetic mine with our Lamy nibs.

that's why I always attach a powerful rare earth magnet to the cat.

Bogon07
April 2nd, 2013, 06:40 PM
His/her tail or ears ?

manoeuver
April 3rd, 2013, 04:22 AM
His/her tail or ears ?
crudely sutured to the soft underbelly.

Toffer
April 3rd, 2013, 10:39 AM
If you attached buttered toast to its back then what would happen if it walked over a magnet with the same polarity as the magnet attached to it? Would it spin in mid air?!

Bogon07
April 3rd, 2013, 03:10 PM
If you attached buttered toast to its back would a cat still land on its feet.

Disclaimer: no theoretical cats were harmed during this thought experiment.

Tracy Lee
April 4th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Butter side down and the cat looks like a dying cockroach. Um, I ASSUME since I would never do such a thing . . . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

KrazyIvan
April 4th, 2013, 08:41 AM
It actually depends on how many of the 9 lives have been used up. :p

jar
April 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I gotta ask, how does a nib just come off a pen?

caribbean_skye
April 4th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I gotta ask, how does a nib just come off a pen?

Well, I was switching nibs and the nib that went diving into the Noodlers bottle wasn't as tight a fit as the other nibs. Why that is I have no idea as the nib doesn't appear bent or anything (btw it's a Lamy if that helps with the imagery).

KrazyIvan
April 4th, 2013, 12:01 PM
That sounds really odd. Did it actually slip over the feed channels?

BikerBabe
April 4th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Long fine stamp collector's tweezers, dive in, fish around gently, catch the toast, pull out, clean.
As for the nib, I suggest you do the same minus toast. *wink*

cedargirl
April 4th, 2013, 08:24 PM

Does it get stuck to the refrigerator?

snedwos
April 6th, 2013, 04:43 PM
If you attached buttered toast to its back would a cat still land on its feet.

Disclaimer: no theoretical cats were harmed during this thought experiment.

Butter side down and the cat looks like a dying cockroach. Um, I ASSUME since I would never do such a thing . . . .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It actually depends on how many of the 9 lives have been used up. :p

All of the above, as long as you have your back turned.

Barbara
April 6th, 2013, 06:37 PM
crudely sutured to the soft underbelly.

Thanks for the belly laugh! If it's a longhaired critter, judges probably won't even take off points at the next show for unauthorized adornment. What they can't see and all that.