PDA

View Full Version : Early Lamy 27 gushing ink

dfo
March 9th, 2017, 06:23 PM
I bought a Lamy 27 last year and it has been gushing ink out of the nib unit. It originally would not suck up much ink, so I replaced the cork piston seal with a hand made rubber replacement. Now it takes a full fill of ink, but the pen will drain all of its ink in 30 seconds while writing. Any suggestions on what is wrong with the pen?

Thanks,
Daniel

fountainpenkid
March 9th, 2017, 07:16 PM
Most likely, the seal you've made isn't as airtight as it should be, and so air is entering from the back of the pen, eliminating the pressure differential necessary for the ink to be kept in the barrel. I'd suggest sending it to an experienced repairer or buying a new seal that it known to work. If you think you can make a tighter-fitting seal yourself, I guess it couldn't hurt to try. Just test it with water first!

Best of luck!

dfo
March 9th, 2017, 08:03 PM
or buying a new seal that it known to work. If you think you can make a tighter-fitting seal yourself, I guess it couldn't hurt to try. Just test it with water first!

Thank you for your advise. I used EPDM Rubber—sanding it down to fit with a lathe. I probably could have made it a tighter fit. I am surprised that I can get a full fill (more than my Pelikan m805) with one full extension of the piston. There is no retaining nut on the piston rod to replace the cork with o-rings as exhibited on the following thread: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3372-Generic-German-Piston-Filler-Replacement-Piston-Seal

Does anyone have any other suggestions for material? I do not want to put natural cork back into the pen.

dfo
March 25th, 2017, 11:56 PM
As an early model pen, I could not find a replacement. I ended up replacing the piston seal with an EPDM Rubber grommet and the pen works fine. If I need to replace the seal again, I will probably use cork.

Thanks for your help fountainpenkid.