PDA

View Full Version : Metal Inner Cap Oxidisation

grainweevil
March 17th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Folks,

Looking for best practice to solve an odd but irritating problem.

I'm over-hauling my brother's long-neglected Delta 20th Anniversary LE, and surprisingly (to me) it apparently has an inner cap of metal; possibly aluminium or some sort of alloy. When I came to unscrew the cap the section was absolutely covered with fine particles of oxidised metal. Now he seems to been using an iron gall ink (and let it dry out) which I assume would exacerbate any oxidisation, but having cleaned it up (I thought) and put a more friendly ink in it (Diamine Oxford Blue) it's once again exhibiting a section covered with lose oxidised metal dust every time I uncap it. I presume, now it's got the idea, the water content in any ink is going to cause problems. This is clearly Not Good.

My current thought is to clean up the inner cap as best I can (in situ, because I really don't want to have to try and take it apart) and then put a coat of Renaissance Wax on it to try and prevent a recurrence. Is this a good idea, bad idea, or does any one have a better idea? Please and thank you.

Cheers, Al

PaulS
March 17th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Hi - sorry to hear of the problem - first thoughts were that the nib has been leaking and ink has go itself onto the inside wall of the cap. - must be honest and admit I've no idea how acidic iron gall might be. Assume you're suggesting that it's the aluminium/alloy inner cap that is oxidizing - if so what colour are the particles of oxidized metal. Is there any chance it's simply dust particles of dried iron gall ink that you're seeing??
Assuming the section/nib doesn't leak ink - when capped - then if you take the least intrusive route and simply clean/dry inside the cap .... leave parts separate for a day or so, and then put together.

I wouldn't have thought that the oxidation should continue provided ............ the nib doesn't leak, the pen isn't stored in a very damp/wet environment - but your suggestion of the wax or possibly a coating of silicone grease should hopefully halt the oxidation.

grainweevil
March 17th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the response, Paul.

- The dust/grit does not strike me as ink residue simply because it's white. My experience with rusty tools, various, reminded me very much of aluminium oxide or oxidisation of an alloy of some sort.
- The section/nib doesn't appear to leak; the worst that can be said for it is that it's a little inclined to nib creep. I put that mainly down to a small loss of plating on the nib, presumably also as a result of the iron gall, but it might have been a problem from the start. It's certainly not a pen inclined to dry out, starting up first time every time.
- I did thoroughly (I thought) clean the cap and let it dry for several days before the test run with the Diamine; initial testing left no dusty residue on the section and I mistakenly believed the problem solved.

Silicone grease is something I hadn't considered, possibly owing to an unreasonable fear of contamination of the nib. But if the nib's touching the inner cap, I've go a whole new set of problems! I shall mull upon't.