PDA

View Full Version : The Car Boot Season Starts with a Bang!

amk
March 19th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Excellent hunting today at the first of the season's sales. Here's the haul, and I had enough money left over for a Black Forest clock (with wooden movement, not brass - an old one!), a heavy duty guillotine (for making my own notebooks), and a shruti box.

http://i.imgur.com/JImFgaVl.jpg

Waterman glass cartridge pen, mismatched black cap and grey barrel
mini stylomine 303
Waterman laureat in gunmetal finish
Waterman Master
Parker 'mixy' (seems to be a French speciality)
Waterman hemisphere
Parker 75 in thuya lacque (came in its box, with two rollerball refills in their tubes) - very happy with this one as although it's not one of my grail pens, it's one I really did want to add to my small accumulation of Parkers
unnamed celluloid pencil (could it be a Gold Starry, with that band of perforated stars?)
and a nice handful of piston-filling Rotrings.

Really rather happy with that little haul. Four gold nibs among them, and several of the pens came in their boxes - the Stylomine has been filled, but I reckon it was filled up once and then put back in its box, as the glass end of the accordion sac is pristine and there's not a scratch anywhere on the pen. The box, on the other hand, needs a bit of TLC.

It's also interesting to look at the difference between the Waterman and Parker lacquers - the Waterman is a darker chestnut colour and the marking are much more diffuse.

PS also found a bottle of Herbin forget-me-not blue for 50 cents. Think I might fill up the Parker.

penwash
March 19th, 2017, 09:51 AM
I will visit UK one day... one day, I promise!

TSherbs
March 19th, 2017, 10:02 AM
I don't need any more boots. ;)

Fermata
March 19th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Excellent hunting today at the first of the season's sales. Here's the haul, and I had enough money left over for a Black Forest clock (with wooden movement, not brass - an old one!), a heavy duty guillotine (for making my own notebooks), and a shruti box.

http://i.imgur.com/JImFgaVl.jpg

Waterman glass cartridge pen, mismatched black cap and grey barrel
mini stylomine 303
Waterman laureat in gunmetal finish
Waterman Master
Parker 'mixy' (seems to be a French speciality)
Waterman hemisphere
Parker 75 in thuya lacque (came in its box, with two rollerball refills in their tubes) - very happy with this one as although it's not one of my grail pens, it's one I really did want to add to my small accumulation of Parkers
unnamed celluloid pencil (could it be a Gold Starry, with that band of perforated stars?)
and a nice handful of piston-filling Rotrings.

Really rather happy with that little haul. Four gold nibs among them, and several of the pens came in their boxes - the Stylomine has been filled, but I reckon it was filled up once and then put back in its box, as the glass end of the accordion sac is pristine and there's not a scratch anywhere on the pen. The box, on the other hand, needs a bit of TLC.

It's also interesting to look at the difference between the Waterman and Parker lacquers - the Waterman is a darker chestnut colour and the marking are much more diffuse.

PS also found a bottle of Herbin forget-me-not blue for 50 cents. Think I might fill up the Parker.

I have never had much fortune with car boot sales, found nothing by way of pens let alone bargains, I have obviously been to the wrong places.

Could you suggest what you might have paid for the Parkers for example?

ethernautrix
March 19th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Wow! Those Rotrings seem especially cool!

Vespagirl
March 19th, 2017, 11:33 AM
Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carlc
March 19th, 2017, 12:46 PM
All I ever see at car boot sales is complete tat!

Super haul.

Bisquitlips
March 19th, 2017, 02:18 PM
I didn't know cars had boots?

And I don't see any boots in the photos???

What are we talking about here?

carlc
March 19th, 2017, 02:53 PM
Boot = trunk in American parlance.

Basically a bunch of people pay a fee for a pitch in a field or car park and sell stuff that they've brought in their car boot/trunk to members of the public who come for the purpose of getting a bargain.

It's a kind of flea market or yard sale but mobile.

Bisquitlips
March 19th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Boot = trunk in American parlance.

Basically a bunch of people pay a fee for a pitch in a field or car park and sell stuff that they've brought in their car boot/trunk to members of the public who come for the purpose of getting a bargain.

It's a kind of flea market or yard sale but mobile.

My gawd! What a fantastic idea! I am going to see about starting one around here!

On second thought, people around here would wonder what car boot was and it would be a vicious cycle of inquisition and failure.

Easier for me to travel over the pond and attend one there than get involved with any of that! ...sigh...

kevmid
March 19th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Wow that is a great haul! Especially the rotrings. Unusual for a car boot sale in my experience, they are normally not great for pens.
Was it local to Norwich amk? I'm a Norwich lad but live overseas these days so I won't be invading your territory.
Mind you with results like that you may not want to advertise!

FredRydr
March 19th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Ditto: Nice haul!

Fred

grainweevil
March 20th, 2017, 02:06 AM
I suspect, given amk's usual MO, that it wasn't so much a car boot involved as a botte de voiture. i.e. In France. The number of French pens certainly heavily suggests it. Now whether I'm green with envy or not, that rather depends on how much he paid! ;)

PaulS
March 20th, 2017, 02:53 AM
elsewhere the op has confirmed this was a boot sale in France.:)

amk
March 20th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I bought quite a few 'lots' so I'd have to average the prices between pens, but 5 to ten euros each... hunting in France, this weekend, at a middling-sized fair with a good mix of individuals and professionals.

It's awfully variable. Sometimes you find the hidden hoard - sometimes you find nothing for an entire weekend. The second fair we went to had nothing but a bottle of ink.

amk
March 20th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Grainweevil, it's not easy being green... but you should be :-)

grainweevil
March 20th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I do get a greenish tinge over the Stylomine and similar French brands, I admit. :D

pollyskips
March 21st, 2017, 04:16 PM
I'm off to a boot fair tomorrow but I'm not expecting to find any pens ! What a great hoard you found :-)!

pollyskips
March 25th, 2017, 08:10 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/e167544ad02a8d3e89c5375d5425d17a.jpg My recent boot fair bargain :-)

PaulS
March 25th, 2017, 01:17 PM
well done - it may be a nony mouse, but it writes well and is probably cheaper than the cartridges you're going need to buy - unless you have a horde of them already.
Most of the Parker pens I find at charity shops and boot fairs - those that come with their original box - almost always have one or more cartridges remaining hidden beneath the tray - never throw a box away with checking for cartridges.
Whatever else we might say, with boot sales there is always the potential to find something really good, and so we keep going.