PDA

View Full Version : Three Modern Conklins (two more modern than the other)

Marsilius
March 19th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Recently I bought two modern Conklin pens from the Heritage Collection: a Durograph and a Word Gauge. Hardly the fanciest pens to collect, but they are good user pens. They have smooth, wet Medium nibs, that definitely seem more like fine stubs than regular Medium nibs. I especially like the Word Gauge because it reminds me of the old rounded fridge, toaster, and other plastic, chrome, and formica kitchen furniture from my childhood.

Yesterday I bought a Conklin Glider from the older generation of modern Conklin pens, before the nibs had a crescent vent hole. I read that the Medium on these was more like a Fine, and that rings true. The pen I purchased seems to have a design that the Conklin catalog actually shows with the Mark Twain Signature model of the time, with a color called Ocean Blue.
http://www.conklinpens.com/conklin_old/product/signature.html

It does not look like the Sapphire Blue listed (and the Sapphire Swirl is not shown):
http://www.conklinpens.com/conklin_old/product/glider.html

The two newer pens seem to have better converters and the threads have better tolerance on the cap threads. But my big take away on the Glider is that the older Medium Bock (I think) nib is a nice smooth F/M, and makes me want to try some more of those, which can be found on eBay. The Glider is also longer than the newer models and fits well in the hand. I think it also has a silver or silver plated ring on the cap.
People have rightfully questioned some aspects of the quality of all of these pens, but I confess to liking them. I’ve post here some pictures with my horrible handwriting with each pen for a comparison (sorry if the photos are giant!).

Final note: It is really easy to spring the clip on the Word Gauge and Glider. For that reason, I don’t clip them in my shirt pocket.

Durograph

Word Gauge

Glider

urushi4u
October 18th, 2017, 02:16 AM
They have smooth, wet Medium nibs, that definitely seem more like fine stubs than regular Medium nibs.

I find their current nibs to be unfinished and have the look and feel of being made from very cheap metal. Nibs raise up off the feed easily and often they won't write, or will hard start and skip due to this. I am really surprised out of 2 pens you didn't have major problems!

Marsilius
December 3rd, 2017, 10:49 AM
They have smooth, wet Medium nibs, that definitely seem more like fine stubs than regular Medium nibs.

I find their current nibs to be unfinished and have the look and feel of being made from very cheap metal. Nibs raise up off the feed easily and often they won't write, or will hard start and skip due to this. I am really surprised out of 2 pens you didn't have major problems!
Just saw your reply! I am not saying quality control is outta the ballpark, for sure! This is an issue I have with modern pens in general. That feel like they just got put together and sent out. These have worked pretty well for me, and my expectatons weren’t that high to begin with. Plus, I have used these to futz a but with the nib position to better effect.
The basic works are standard #6 nibs with no apparent attention given, but they have been ok. Plus, I picked ones in the shop that wrote well. Also, that older one from 2005 seems a little more ‘cared for’, but who knows. Its nib is smoother and feels nice to write with.
Finally, not sure if Bock and Jowo have a tiered system of steel quality. Anyone know?
In short, Your comments are accurate, but I have been able to futz with these and can take them out of the house.
Thanks, urushi4u.