PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Edison Collier

Lady Onogaro
March 20th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Hi,

I have an Edison Collier that has a terrible smell. I noticed it after I used Oster Asterquiza Rot, but I don't think it has anything to do with the ink, as I have taken the ink out of the converter and cleaned the pen. I have tried and tried to get the odor out of the pen, but it's always faintly there. I don't know if it's the material the pen is made of or not.

I've used ordinary dish soap to clean the entire pen (converter, feed, nib, body).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I bought the pen used, so I don't know if it's something that it lingering from what the previous person used, but it seems to me that I used other inks with the pen and I don't remember experiencing any nasty smell then.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Crazyorange
March 20th, 2017, 01:36 PM
Had the same problem with one of my Edison's pens. It's the acrylic the pen is made from. It will "air" out after awhile. In the meantime....enjoy the stinky 🤢

Jon Szanto
March 20th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Hmmm.

Well, the ink was contained in a converter, so the only part of the pen that was actually exposed to the ink would be the section/feed, and marginally the cap (depending on any spillage, etc). I wonder if it might not be helpful to give the section/etc a spin in an ultrasonic cleaner? Assuming the material is acrylic, I'd also put a little Windex on a rolled up paper towel and clean out the cap.

I wouldn't think acrylics would normally absorb odors. Hopefully something like the above might help.

KrazyIvan
March 20th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I find some of my acrylic pens have a burnt plastic smell that I assume is from the turning process. If it's ebonite, it is normal for it to smell a little. Then there is the vegetal resin. I'll never get used to its smell.:puke:

inklord
March 20th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Many of the marbled acrylic pens turned from bar stock will outgas for quite a while after production. I will subside, but veeeery slowly.

Lady Onogaro
March 20th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll hang in there with it.

Robert
March 20th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Sorry for the double entendre, but . . . . doesn't "rot" say it all?

Lady Onogaro
March 20th, 2017, 06:52 PM

Good one, except that "rot" just means "red." :)

Robert
March 20th, 2017, 07:24 PM

I am aware of that - ich kann Deutsch, aber nicht sehr gut. Hence, the doppel entendre. Please forgive my bad joke.

Lady Onogaro
March 20th, 2017, 07:36 PM

I am aware of that - ich kann Deutsch, aber nicht sehr gut. Hence, the doppel entendre. Please forgive my bad joke.

Oh, no. I thought your joke a good one, especially since the pen pretty much smells like something rotten! :) I guess I'll suffer through it, since it is so pretty. There's something poetic about that (something pretty smelling stinky).

Waski_the_Squirrel
March 21st, 2017, 06:02 PM
I used to own a Collier. I actually owned it for a few years. It had a smell. It wasn't a bad smell, but a definite smell. It did go away over time. In general, time takes care of these things.

amk
March 22nd, 2017, 03:01 AM
Well, I've just been caught with my nose stuck in my pen box sniffing away like mad... and I don't think my explanation really convinced my other half one bit. :-)

And either none of my Colliers smell, or my sinuses are blocked...

mcorrea
March 22nd, 2017, 04:15 AM
Oh, no. I thought your joke a good one, especially since the pen pretty much smells like something rotten! :) I guess I'll suffer through it, since it is so pretty. There's something poetic about that (something pretty smelling stinky).

I remember I had a high school classmate who was like that. Beautiful girl, still you wouldn't want to dance with her.

Hawk
March 22nd, 2017, 09:58 AM
I agree with previous posts, I have an Edison pen that smells. The smell comes from the machining and outgassing of the plastic. Let it air out and the smell will dissipate after awhile.

Robert
March 22nd, 2017, 04:32 PM
I wonder if baking soda might be of some help. You might try sprinkling a bit inside the cap and body and let it sit for 24 hours. It couldn't hurt, and it might help.

KKay
March 23rd, 2017, 04:13 PM
I agree with Robert. I would get a zip lock bag, fill it with baking soda. Unscrew the section with nib, and converver...and place the barrel and cap in the zip lock bag for 2-3 days, then clean the baking soda off. That MAY help it. If not just let it sit out, and don't put it in a pen storage container. In time the smell should go away.

gchee
March 23rd, 2017, 09:46 PM
Mine still stinks a little after 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Runnin_Ute
March 24th, 2017, 07:17 AM
I have one of the Noodlers Konrad 's made with the vegetal resin. Maybe it was my nose, but even right out of the box I didn't think it was bad. Distinct? Yes. Even that went away with time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk