PDA

View Full Version : Burned Out.

manoeuver
April 8th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I've got a week-old half written letter on the desk and ten unreplied-to letters in a stack. Turnaround time is over a month by now.

I'm dialing it down.

To those who have written me: thanks. I'll continue to reply as the spirit moves.

Here on out, outgoing letters will focus on thoughtful replies to good questions from the stack. If I've got nothing but banalities to put in a letter I'm going to save the time for something else. Quality over quantity.

Bogon07
April 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Oh no. I hope this isn't contagious, patient zero.

Push through that Writer's Block and Inertia into calligraphic delirium. Ride that wild multi-hued zebra into the dust or just float along like a Rollin' Safari.

Keep the faith and Indulged in the Madness.

PostMuse
April 8th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Oh my goodness. Letter writing should never, ever feel pressured. Dial back, put everything in a box out of sight, go have a few weeks without looking at a postage stamp ... a few months .. a year! Letters will always be there when, and if, you decide to write. If the correspondents are angry, so be it. Letter writing, unlike book writing, should NOT require you to open a vein (http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/09/14/writing-bleed/).

Bogon07
April 8th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I'm feeling a little feint now

manoeuver
April 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Well, any pressure to reply had been self-applied. It was cool to do the one-a-day thing during February. The banalities were to be expected then, but now I'm just gonna be candid and say I don't give a shit about the weather in Kyzyl. I just don't, and nobody cares if it's sunny in Baltimore today either.

That said, if I have anything meaningful to say to somebody I will do it with glee, relish and something stubby.

PostMuse
April 8th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Actually, I do care about the weather in Baltimore. I've been a "mail enthusiast" for many, many years, and the weather is not unimportant to me. So, if you want to write me about the weather minutia in Baltimore, I will run with it.

woosang
April 9th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Actually, I do care about the weather in Baltimore. I've been a "mail enthusiast" for many, many years, and the weather is not unimportant to me. So, if you want to write me about the weather minutia in Baltimore, I will run with it.

Me too but writing has to be fun, So by all means take a break. Your readers will be here when or if you return

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
April 9th, 2013, 04:56 AM
I was feeling a bit faint a week ago, but I'm no longer getting so many letters, so I am continuing.

magnesium68
April 9th, 2013, 07:46 AM
We are now in april ... Time to see who are the real hardcore penpal fanatic!

I usually answer any letters on the same day it reach me so dont despair fountainpenkid there is one coming your way pretty soon :)

KrazyIvan
April 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM
How about a letter with an Indian piston filler about said piston filler? :fans::rockon:

manoeuver
April 9th, 2013, 12:20 PM
That is a bizarre Russian smiley.

I've been remiss about that one in particular. That is on the short list.

caribbean_skye
April 10th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Awwww, sorry to hear that. Just reply to whichever letters you want to and leave the more difficult ones for future inspiration. It's supposed to be fun and not feel like work.

KrazyIvan
April 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
That is a bizarre Russian smiley.

I've been remiss about that one in particular. That is on the short list.

:D

...I am with caribbean_skye, it should be fun.

chaimann
April 10th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Or try postcards when the inspiration is flagging. It's fun to see where people are or have been, and they have the bonus of not even allowing you to write much.

fountainpenkid
April 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I must say I now feel similarly to Tim. I will continue to reply when I feel motivated to do so.