PDA

View Full Version : Pens & Needles?

Brilliant Bill
March 22nd, 2017, 07:16 PM
Sorry about the thread head, couldn't resist.

I am on pins and needles now, having just ordered a Pilot Custom 823. I've seen too many instances where folks had flow problems with the pen, but I decided to try one; and I'll be hopeful.

The performance of the Pilot pens I have kept compelling me to get one of these. I have everything from the Pilot Petit 1 to the CH92 and every one of them is excellent. I use two Preras (one blue, one black) as everyday carry pens. The CH92 is simply flawless and a beautiful writer -- so it seems the 823 would be even better! I'm hoping.

Drawbacks for me are the ball clip (that I hate) and the amber color. They make a dark smoke one, but you have to go to Japan to get it. Given the possible flow issues I didn't want to tempt the gods with one I can't legitimately get warranty coverage for. Also, prices have tightened up. U.S. price is now $288. By the time you add shipping from Japan, you're within $10 of that.

And now the age-old problem of what ink to fill it with. I don't like to do a lot of ink changing with piston fills. My CH92 is a dedicated Faber-Castell Stone Grey. I'll have to explore a good blue-black for the 823, although it seems a really good blue-black is hard to find.

On that note, I have tried the new Aurora Blue-Black this month in a couple of pens. It's so dry I've nicknamed it the desiccant ink. Not something to use in a pen that may have flow issues!

Empty_of_Clouds
March 22nd, 2017, 07:22 PM
Not sure where you get the prices from but an 823 can be acquired from Japan for USD200 + shipping. That's what I did. Shipping cost me about USD15. There are no Pilot dealers in my country so warranty wasn't in question. There are plenty of nib people in the US should you have an issue with flow. I have had no issues with mine so far.

stub
March 23rd, 2017, 08:19 AM
I love the amber color and the Art Deco Ball clip. heh.

My Pilot Pens are usually happiest with Pilot ink. But if you are looking for a good every day easy flowing handsome blue black, I reccomend the Sailor Blue Black. I also enjoyed the Pelikan Tanzanite but find it feathers some. Sailor is a good workhorse Blue Black, a rich storm of slate, charcoal, blue, etc. and it has never given me an ounce of trouble and is even pretty good on cheaper paper.

Alternately: Shin-kai, is sure to work just fine, though i find this ink to be meh, and of course the standard Pilot Blue Black, but that is quite a bit more dusty and vintage-y looking.

Congrats. I don't have an 823 (having opted for the CH912 due to nib options) but it looks a great piece of kit.

inklord
March 23rd, 2017, 09:27 AM
...seconding above suggestions by stub regarding inks. For a super-dark blue without grey in it I'd add "Diamine Regency Blue". Have fun with your 823. Blue-Black seems a good color match with the amber, and if there should be flow issues, a Nibmeister like Dan Smith could help.

stub
March 23rd, 2017, 09:48 AM
Regency Blue is a nice dark Blue which indeed works well as a Blue Black substitute and won't get you sideways looks at work. It also has some pop so it reads easy. Diamine midnight is a good one too, dark navy blue and is super wet in case you find your pen writes a little dry.

dr.grace
March 23rd, 2017, 06:16 PM
Although I don't prefer brown pens, as a rule, i think the amber 823 is quite beautiful. It's one of my favorite pens. I have mine filled with Kon-peki.

I hope you enjoy yours!

WmEdwards
March 25th, 2017, 07:12 PM
I have two 823's, one B one M. No flow issues at all. I consider them very under rated pens. I kinda like the brown section, et al

Brilliant Bill
March 28th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Well, Mottishaw did his thing. Now I've done my thing. And it's a pen that performs magnificently. All I hoped for and more.

For ink, I went with Bung Box Silent Night. Fits my personality and I think it fits this pen. As one reviewer said of it: "If you need something stately and and beautiful that only reveals its secrets to those who slow down and pay attention, Bung Box Silent Night might just be the ink you are looking for."

KKay
March 29th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I want one of those pens too, in the future. I have Aurora-Blue Black and I didn't think it was dry at all. I love that ink. I have only used it in two pens so far, and it ran beautifully in both of them.