PDA

View Full Version : SOLD WTS: Franklin-Christoph Model XLV w/SIG Fine nib (Amber)

DavidtheGnome
March 24th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Catch and release, I wanted to see the amber resin and was not disappointed. Its a bit small for my hands though which is why the previous owner, another FPGeek passed it on as well. I'll extend the same price he offered me, $85 shipped in the US including the original FC box and leather zippered pen sleeve.

Franklin-Christoph Model XLV w/SIG Fine nib (Amber) - this is the Model 45 in Amber color with the SIG nib in fine. The nib is smooth and an excellent writer. You may notice that at the bottom end of the cap material looks like crystals instead of clear. This is not damage but a result of the finishing of the pen. see message thread below for details. The pen takes standard short international cartridges or can be filled as an eyedropper. it does not take full size converters.

Joel_Neild
March 24th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Do all Franklin Christoph pens have this issue with the caps?

Jon Szanto
March 24th, 2017, 06:12 PM
The pen is Like New except for the cap. On these FC pens the cap tends to "crystallize" when the cap is posted. There is no damage, it is that the bottom end of the cap material looks like crystals instead of clear.

Uh... I'm not so certain. That is information passed on by the first owner and I don't believe it to be the case.

In manufacturing the various transparent models of their pens, F-C has gone through various finishing processes on the interiors to smooth out the machining as much as possible. It clearly (no pun intended) isn't as possible to polish as the exterior. For instance, my "antique glass" 66P exhibits those characteristics, in differing degrees, in both the cap and inside of the barrel. It is even easier to see, since there is almost no tint to the acrylic. It is not something that has come on through either time or use (as in posting).

If you have other documentation regarding the condition, especially from F-C themselves, it would be good of you to post it. As someone has already asked a question, I would hate for misinformation to spread as part of a sale. And you needn't have to apologize or point out a flaw that isn't really a flaw at all, but part of the character of the pen.

P.S. I picked up a Model 45 in a prototype material in LA in Feb. I expected it to be too small for me, but when I tried it, I found it to be a perfect EDC/pocket pen. Also, I have found that the Kaweco Sport clips will fit on the cap perfectly, and is handy mostly in keeping the pen from rolling off a desk.

Best of luck with the sale, it's a good pen!

DavidtheGnome
March 24th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks for clarifying Jon, yes I just reposted the info from the original seller. I do know that FC has a lifetime warranty on all their pens. I'll ask FC directly.

earthdawn
March 25th, 2017, 05:55 PM
The interior is unpolished and sometimes left alone and sometimes "antiqued" which actually increases the undulations of the interior. This creates surface tension which sometimes "crystalizes" in what is considered a normal part of the process.

Jon Szanto
March 25th, 2017, 05:59 PM
The interior is unpolished and sometimes left alone and sometimes "antiqued" which actually increases the undulations of the interior. This creates surface tension which sometimes "crystalizes" in what is considered a normal part of the process.

Thanks for an even further refinement of what is going on here. Still a very nice pen that I hope someone takes advantage of.

earthdawn
March 25th, 2017, 06:02 PM

Thanks for an even further refinement of what is going on here. Still a very nice pen that I hope someone takes advantage of.

So do I... it's a great price !!

Jobesmirage
March 25th, 2017, 09:00 PM
There was a similar thread on this a few months ago on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/4w3hfy/franklin_christoph_model_66_cap_cracking/

heymatthew
March 26th, 2017, 06:36 AM
PM. I'm interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro