PDA

View Full Version : Con-40 does not fit Pilot Metropolitan

JapaG
March 28th, 2017, 12:45 PM
Hi! I am very new to fountain pens. I actually just purchased a red Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop, which I heard was a good starter pen. However, my pen did not come with a converter for some reason. No problem, I ordered a con-40, and used the cartridge that came with it in the mean time.

The con-40 arrived today. I was eager to test the inks I had also bought, so I took out the cartridge and tried to insert the converter. It fit the nib unit, but did not stick in any way. I tried pushing harder, but nothing. It just sort of stands there, but does not attach. Is there some kind of trick to inserting the converter? I feel so stupid now as I am not able to use my pen as intended...

billy1380
March 28th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I am not sure where you are... but if you are in the UK you probably have an MR2. In the UK the metropolitan takes standard international cartridges and converters... made the same mistake :(

JapaG
March 28th, 2017, 01:16 PM
I am not sure where you are... but if you are in the UK you probably have an MR2. In the UK the metropolitan takes standard international cartridges and converters... made the same mistake :(

Yeah, after some frantic googling I found out that this seems to be the problem. It is unfortunate that this difference between the American and European models is not advertised anywhere... 😔

KrazyIvan
March 28th, 2017, 01:51 PM
Wow, good to know in case I ever want to get a Metropolitan that works with standard converters.

grainweevil
March 28th, 2017, 03:54 PM

Yeah, after some frantic googling I found out that this seems to be the problem. It is unfortunate that this difference between the American and European models is not advertised anywhere... 😔

Having taken a spin round all the reputable UK online retailers, they all state it quite clearly.

Wow, good to know in case I ever want to get a Metropolitan that works with standard converters.

For bonus points, you can swap an MR section into a 78G too.

KrazyIvan
March 28th, 2017, 05:38 PM
that works with standard converters.

For bonus points, you can swap an MR section into a 78G too.[/QUOTE]

I did know that. I have my 78G nib/section with broad italic in my Metropolitan. :D

Lady Onogaro
March 28th, 2017, 06:44 PM
For bonus points, you can swap an MR section into a 78G too.

I did know that. I have my 78G nib/section with broad italic in my Metropolitan. :D[/QUOTE]

I did not know that. I'll have to try that.

JapaG
March 29th, 2017, 12:24 AM
Having taken a spin round all the reputable UK online retailers, they all state it quite clearly.

Ok, that's my bad then. :) I purchased the pen from Amazon.co.uk, and it did not have much info about the pen. My previous knowledge came from watching and reading several reviews by Goulet Pens and American pen bloggers (and they did not know/have info about the difference)...

Luckily it is no big deal, I just needed to order a new converter. :) Now I'll just have to wait a week or so more...

It all just comes to show the importance of research when you are embarking on a new thing.

grainweevil
March 29th, 2017, 03:12 AM
I did know that. I have my 78G nib/section with broad italic in my Metropolitan. :D

I had a feeling you might. :D

Ok, that's my bad then. :) I purchased the pen from Amazon.co.uk, and it did not have much info about the pen. My previous knowledge came from watching and reading several reviews by Goulet Pens and American pen bloggers (and they did not know/have info about the difference)...

Luckily it is no big deal, I just needed to order a new converter. :) Now I'll just have to wait a week or so more...

It all just comes to show the importance of research when you are embarking on a new thing.

Ah well, one purchases pens on Amazon in a spirit of... adventure. :D On the plus side you now have an excellent excuse to buy a Pilot pen that does take a Con-40. Proceed with caution though - the MR isn't the only one sold in Europe that differs from the rest of the world in the cartridge size it takes.

Ahriman4891
March 29th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Can the MR fit standard international long cartridges, or only the short ones? The long ones hold a lot of ink, if the OP feels like refilling carts with a syringe that may be an option.

JapaG
April 2nd, 2017, 01:00 AM
It's not an issue of volume for me. I am new to the fountain pen world, and would like to try out different mechanisms and especially different inks.

But I have now ordered a new converter whch should arrive next week, so I'm good. :-) And thanks for the idea of filling cartridges with syringes, maybe I'll try it out later!

Lähetetty minun E5823 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Bob
May 13th, 2017, 05:11 PM
The Con 50 will fit.