PDA

View Full Version : My latest and first restoration for Pen Display Case.

jarc
March 30th, 2017, 07:10 AM
The first three photos are how the ex canteen looked when purchased, and the remainder are how the finished product looks.

It seems as though the old git who could not manage technology just might have conquered photo size reduction and loading photos to a post on this form.

To be honest I was going to add the first three and then type some further words.........BUT all of the photos appeared together and I was not going to risk losing them by trying to alter things.

All of that due to the many members here who have had the patience and ability to continually advise and monitor what I was doing.

May thanks to all of you.

Regards.

penwash
March 30th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Beautiful wood finishing work!

Another option instead of the grey felt on the inside of the cover, you could also put a print of some kind of vintage pen advertisement :)

jarc
March 30th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Beautiful wood finishing work!

Another option instead of the grey felt on the inside of the cover, you could also put a print of some kind of vintage pen advertisement :)

Excellent idea, thank you.

Chrissy
March 31st, 2017, 02:14 AM
I think it's fabulous. :applause: Well done you. Please can you tell us how you made the pen slots? :noidea:

I have an old artists box that I might consider having a go at refitting. :blink:

jarc
March 31st, 2017, 12:55 PM
I think it's fabulous. :applause: Well done you. Please can you tell us how you made the pen slots? :noidea:

I have an old artists box that I might consider having a go at refitting. :blink:

Chrissy, thanks for your kind comment.
There is a video on this link which may help you. I used the basis of this and adapted the method to suit my needs.
The important thing is to be aware of the diameter of the pens you wish to display in the slots you make.
The other matter is you do not need to buy card especially for this. I have found by trial and error that cereal box cardboard (Corn Flakes, Weetabix) is idea for this construction.
I would also add that having tried many types of glue I found that the best and easiest to use is a tube (with twist action) of Pritt Stick. It is efficient, not too messy and is relatively cheap. But it from Morrison`s, the cheapest I could find. I buy two large size tubes for the price I would pay locally for one small tube. They do not call me Scrooge for no reason !!!!!!!!

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/18560-Pen-Storage-Case-Trays

Hope this is helpful, if not please get back to me and I will attempt to list a move by move explanation of the methodology I adopted.

Chrissy
March 31st, 2017, 03:58 PM
I had seen that thread, but thank you for the reminder. :)

jarc
April 1st, 2017, 05:34 AM
I had seen that thread, but thank you for the reminder. :)

My pleasure.
Regards.

Call_me_Tom
April 1st, 2017, 07:10 AM
Oh wow, very nice.

kevmid
April 1st, 2017, 11:28 AM
Great work jarc, very professional. Lovely case for your collection.

Good to see you managed the photos too! :applause:

jarc
April 1st, 2017, 12:07 PM
Great work jarc, very professional. Lovely case for your collection.

Good to see you managed the photos too! :applause:

The photos appeared mainly due to your patience and determined help.
Many thanks
Regards.