PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling Aurora Optima ?

Aurora
April 4th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Has anyone ever took apart an Aurora Optima?

I usually refrain from disassembling piston fillers when the manufacturer doesn't intend us to do so, however, the Optima is my favorite pen in the world and I feel like I should know it inside out. But more importantly, I noticed some ink stains that made it past the piston.

I remember an old post of an exploded view of the Aurora 88, but I am more looking at the tools to use, where to unscrew and what to avoid.

Thank you for sharing your experience

earthdawn
April 4th, 2017, 08:32 PM
You have to be super careful and I don't have pics but there are 2 small insets that you can see with the piston down. They are under the piston knob and I used a paper clip that I made into a U shape then bending the tips down so I was able to get them to lock into those tiny notches.

Using gentle pressure as you don't want it to slip and if it does you don't want to deform those little spaces or it is like stripping a screw. It will give way though and you can remove the piston itself.

USE CAUTION AND CARE and if not done right you will deform those holes and maybe make it so you can't remove the piston.

Aurora
April 5th, 2017, 05:36 AM
Earthdawn, thank you for sharing your experience.

I do see these two little squared inlets you are mentioning when I unscrew the piston knob !

However, I am not clear on what kind of motion or force you apply to remove the piston. Are you pressing in on your U-shaped paper clip, or twisting the barrel?

One additional follow-up question, have you noticed any repercussion on the air-tightness of the seal after reassembling the pen?

earthdawn
April 5th, 2017, 07:34 AM
Earthdawn, thank you for sharing your experience.

I do see these two little squared inlets you are mentioning when I unscrew the piston knob !

However, I am not clear on what kind of motion or force you apply to remove the piston. Are you pressing in on your U-shaped paper clip, or twisting the barrel?

One additional follow-up question, have you noticed any repercussion on the air-tightness of the seal after reassembling the pen?

Turning. I believe it was counter clockwise.

No air-tightness issues. I re-greased the piston and scrubbed the barrel while I had it apart.

Chrissy
April 5th, 2017, 07:42 AM
I haven't looked, but it sounds like the piston might need a piston removal tool similar to the one I use for Montblanc pistons. :noidea:

Aurora
April 5th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Thank you both. You are right Chrissy, according to some older posts, the MB piston removal tool seems to also be working on the modern Optima. Did you buy yours from MB directly?

Chrissy
April 5th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Thank you both. You are right Chrissy, according to some older posts, the MB piston removal tool seems to also be working on the modern Optima. Did you buy yours from MB directly?
I wish. Montblanc don't sell them. I bought mine from an ebay seller, but Laurence Oldfield has a very good one for sale that would fit all pens.