PDA

View Full Version : "Made in Japan-Nakaya Edition"

AltecGreen
April 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Some of the SF Pen Posse were featured in a Japanese TV show that did a segment on Nakaya.

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/7AK7j3I-vPc

Bogon07
April 12th, 2013, 04:36 PM
0:45-1:05 - I sincerely hope that was a stunt double and not Lord Windemere that S.F. "Iron Chef" was waving around.
What a fate - turned into Seafood bisque and served in a hollowed out bread roll :cry:

Knowing Japanese would help a lot "Made in Japan" was the only English phrase I heard.

The pen making from 11mins looked interesting. Fascinating to see the hand tooled threads being applied with four starting points or spirals.

It was also amusing with the Japanese language overdubs. Or do most San Franciscans speak Japanese now ?

AltecGreen
April 12th, 2013, 05:20 PM
We were all dubbed. It was funny to hear our dubbed voices and compare them to our normal voices. They even dubbed Ethernautrix's giggle.

Unfortunately, only a small part of our Pen Posse at Peter's made it into the final cut.

Bogon07
April 12th, 2013, 09:33 PM
The funniest parts were where they dubbed in the ooohs when the camera shot something made in Japan. However I still can't get over the way they cut those multiple treads into the pen barrel. I wonder if the cap is done the same way or it is only a single screw thread.

earthdawn
April 12th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I love that video so much !!!

Watched it at least 5 times now...

snedwos
April 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM
The funniest parts were reading the google translated captions:

"I was interested in the underwear of 3 children..." wuh-what..?

I liked the bit at the end with the two craftsmen watching the video. You could see they were a bit embarrassed, but also really proud.

drgoretex
April 26th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Aaargh. I should NOT have watched that. Now I have to order another Nakaya. DARN IT!

Ken

ethernautrix
April 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM
It was also amusing with the Japanese language overdubs. Or do most San Franciscans speak Japanese now ?

The TV show airs only in Japan. The producers sent us DVDs -- my mother watched the whole show, which is 90 minutes or so, but I haven't asked her for a translation yet.

Also, "San Francisco" is Japanese for Osaka.

*Giggle*

AltecGreen
April 30th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Also, "San Francisco" is Japanese for Osaka.

*Giggle*

Ha! Ha! Ha!

UK Mike
May 7th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Very nice video - naturally I understood every word (not!)

I enjoyed watching the 4 start barrel thread being cut - very much a handcrafted method of cutting.

JustinJ
May 8th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Your pen posse looks like a lot of fun.

Flake
May 9th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I really love this video. I've watched it twice now and both times I've appreciated my pen so much more.

junglejim
September 2nd, 2019, 12:41 AM
Had to bump this back up after discovering this thread in the archives! The actual Nakaya video starts at 07:40 in. Interesting to see how some parts of the Nakaya ebonite work still use human pedal-power to run the lathe. Pity they didn't have a video of the actual urushi work being done in Wajima, though that is outside of Nakaya's factory. I had read how the employees at Nakaya are all retired from decades of work at the Platinum factory and are doing this to keep busy. Shows it's true and not hype.

It was nice to match-up some faces from the SF Pen Posse to names.

teodormircea
September 9th, 2019, 12:32 PM
This video inspired me to start making pens and learn Urushi

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk