PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Prera

thagbert
April 11th, 2013, 07:17 PM
My favorite Asian low cost pen is a Pilot Prera. It is also my favorite all around low cost pen. I prefer it over my Lamy Vista.

I think it is underrated as a entry level pen. It has a nice solid feel. A fairly decent nib. It is a fine writer as most Asian pens are. It is compact in size. Fits nicely in a shirt pocket.

There are color versions and demonstrator versions. The demonstrator features translucent ends in eight different colors. The solid color version comes in nine different colors.

I have four of them. One demonstrator and three of the solid versions.

I have seen this pen for as low as $34 US.

I personally recommend this pen. I use it as one of my primary writers when I need a fine point.

This is not a review. I seriously think this pen is way underrated and deserves more attention.

writingrav
April 11th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I agree entirely.

ilangai
April 11th, 2013, 11:52 PM
There are also some limited (edition, production.. Don't really know) that are demonstrators with solid color end caps, like my beloved white one..

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/12/a9edazyh.jpg

cedargirl
April 12th, 2013, 12:45 AM
My favorite Asian low cost pen is a Pilot Prera. It is also my favorite all around low cost pen. I prefer it over my Lamy Vista.

I've been thinking of getting one of these. Personally, I think Safaris are overrated.
I don't suppose you have a Pilot Metropolitan. That's the other one I've been thinking of.
I'd be interested in a comparison (I realise they are different price brackets).

ilangai
April 12th, 2013, 01:59 AM
I've been thinking of getting one of these. Personally, I think Safaris are overrated.
I don't suppose you have a Pilot Metropolitan. That's the other one I've been thinking of.
I'd be interested in a comparison (I realise they are different price brackets).

I don't own a Metropolitan, but what i really like about pilot pens (at list with these price range.. like the Prera, Metro, Plumix etc.) is that the nibs are interchangeable.. On my Prera, i have a Medium Italic nib from a Plumix.
As for the difference.. i mainly don't like the looks of the Metro, and the Prera really feels more than it worths..

writingrav
April 12th, 2013, 04:23 AM
The range of nib choices and ease of exchange on the Safari is hard to beat, but as for feel and look of the pen in general both the Prera and Metropolitan have it beat. Keeping in mind that we're talking about the difference between a $15 pen and a (at least) $40 pen the Metropolitan has a classiness of feel and design that is hard to beat.

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 08:32 AM
There are also some limited (edition, production.. Don't really know) that are demonstrators with solid color end caps, like my beloved white one..

I saw one of those. Thought it may have been an older model. When did you purchase yours?

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I'd be interested in a comparison (I realize they are different price brackets).

I too think the Lamys are overrated. They have a lightweight feel to me. I much prefer the Prera.

I have looked at the Metropolitan. But I am not fond of metal barreled pens. They have an insubstantial feel to me. It's a nice looking pen when posted.

I would not be surprised if they have the same nib and performance characteristics. The Metropolitan is cheaper to manufacture than the Prera and therefore priced lower.

ilangai
April 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I saw one of those. Thought it may have been an older model. When did you purchase yours?

I think about two months ago.. Maybe even less. I bought it from an eBay seller that wrote it's limited, might be also an older model not being produced anymore.. Either way, I love the looks of it more than the colored semi translucent end caps.

Pinkys.Brain
April 12th, 2013, 08:58 AM

The demonstrators are standard models here in Japan...

There is another difference: The demonstrators ("iro-ai" models) always come bundled with a CON-50 converter. There's is also a third nib option next fo F and M: CM (= calligraphy, i.e. a stub nib. And I presume it does not have any tipping. I have not seen such a nib in any store yet...).

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/prera_iro-ai/index.html

ilangai
April 12th, 2013, 09:01 AM
The demonstrators are standard models here in Japan...

I can find demonstrators here also, the solid color end caps are more difficult to find.. If these are also standard models in Japan, that only add another reason for me wanting to move there ;-)

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 10:06 AM
When I first learned about the Prera, I wanted one. The prices got out of control but if I could find one under $40 and with a stub, I might get it. As far as comparison to Lamy, well to each his own.

I have said this before, the Safari holds a special place in my hand as it was the pen I learned to use a proper tripod grip. I also learned to control my death grip with a Safari. (Still working on the force choke though. :p ) I attribute all of that to the light weight and balance of the pen along with the triangular section. It is a school pen and thus should have all those attributes. I used to like heftier pens but I discovered it was because it counter balances the death grip. I have learned that heftiness does not always equate quality either. The Safari is a very sturdy pen.

writingrav
April 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM
39.99 http://www.stationeryart.com/pilot-pilot-prera-fountain-translucent-blue-p-2991.html

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
When I first learned about the Prera, I wanted one. The prices got out of control but if I could find one under $40 I might get it. As far as comparison to Lamy, well to each his own.

I have said this before, the Safari holds a special place in my hand as it was the pen I learned to use a proper tripod grip. I also learned to control my death grip with a Safari. (Still working on the force choke though. :p ) I attribute all of that to the light weight and balance of the pen along with the triangular section. It is a school pen and thus should have all those attributes. I used to like heftier pens but I discovered it was because it counter balances the death grip. I have learned that heftiness does not always equate quality either. The Safari is a very sturdy pen.

I agree with your comments. I think the keyword is school pen. It is very sturdy and helps train you to a proper tripod grip. If you want to learn a proper grip then this pen will help you with that. I do like the way it writes. The cap is a little large for me. It is the best value in a low cost pen out there.

I have seen the Prera demonstrator for $45 with shipping and the solid color model for $42 with shipping. I saw it for $22 on a Japanese site but was unable to figure out some convoluted shipping process.

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 11:14 AM
$39.99 http://www.stationeryart.com/pilot-pilot-prera-fountain-translucent-blue-p-2991.html

Shipping is $5. Ships from Hong Kong. Payment is PayPal.

This site has a lot of Asian pens!

Hero, Jinhao, Baoer, Pilot, and Sailor.

caribbean_skye
April 12th, 2013, 11:43 AM
I love my Prera and now that you lovely people have given alternatives to nibs I will be so looking into that. I enjoy everything about the Prera that I wish I had a few more (probably one of the few pens I own that I would write with day in and day out and never give it a pen-vacation).

As for the Lamy's, well it's a functional pen but the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy your converter separately, why not just charge us the extra $5 or so and sell them at the same time. Sorry, that just annoys me esp since they have proprietary cartridges. I don't dislike the Safari's but I just love the Prera more.

<snip>
I have said this before, the Safari holds a special place in my hand as it was the pen I learned to use a proper tripod grip.
<snip>

I mainly write with a quadripod grip (The pen is held with the tip of the thumb, index finger, and third finger and rests against the side of the fourth finger. The thumb and index finger form a circle) which made my initial experience with the Safari quite interesting. I can however still use this grip with the safari but it took some getting used to. Occasionally I write with a tripod grip but rarely.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM
39.99 http://www.stationeryart.com/pilot-pilot-prera-fountain-translucent-blue-p-2991.html

I revised my initial post to reflect I want a stub nib. I wonder if the Pilot 78G B or BB nibs are interchangable with the Prera. I think someone mentioned that they are.

I agree with your comments. I think the keyword is school pen. It is very sturdy and helps train you to a proper tripod grip. If you want to learn a proper grip then this pen will help you with that. I do like the way it writes. The cap is a little large for me. It is the best value in a low cost pen out there.

I have seen the Prera demonstrator for $45 with shipping and the solid color model for $42 with shipping. I saw it for $22 on a Japanese site but was unable to figure out some convoluted shipping process.

Definitely a school pen but I find that I can get away with the charcoal in an office setting just fine. I don't post either so it does not look ridiculously tall. My Al-Star in blue can also fly by unnoticed, which seems odd.

I love my Prera and now that you lovely people have given alternatives to nibs I will be so looking into that. I enjoy everything about the Prera that I wish I had a few more (probably one of the few pens I own that I would write with day in and day out and never give it a pen-vacation).

As for the Lamy's, well it's a functional pen but the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy your converter separately, why not just charge us the extra $5 or so and sell them at the same time. Sorry, that just annoys me esp since they have proprietary cartridges. I don't dislike the Safari's but I just love the Prera more.

I mainly write with a quadripod grip (The pen is held with the tip of the thumb, index finger, and third finger and rests against the side of the fourth finger. The thumb and index finger form a circle) which made my initial experience with the Safari quite interesting. I can however still use this grip with the safari but it took some getting used to. Occasionally I write with a tripod grip but rarely.

Isellpens.com includes the converter and is where I bought my Safari.

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I revised my initial post to reflect I want a stub nib. I wonder if the Pilot 78G B or BB nibs are interchangable with the Prera. I think someone mentioned that they are.

I would definitely go for a stub nib for my Prera. Keep me posted.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 01:24 PM
I would definitely go for a stub nib for my Prera. Keep me posted.

Do you think you could post a picture of the nib/feed, front and back, just to get an idea?

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Do you think you could post a picture of the nib/feed, front and back, just to get an idea?

I found this image.

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I found this image.

The back of that feed does really look like a 78G. I can't tell but it looks like there are some stops at the base of the nib, along the sides. I have not taken my 78G apart but will check it out.

Ravenlunatic
April 12th, 2013, 02:06 PM

Definitely a school pen but I find that I can get away with the charcoal in an office setting just fine. I don't post either so it does not look ridiculously tall. My Al-Star in blue can also fly by unnoticed, which seems odd.

Isellpens.com includes the converter and is where I bought my Safari.

Prera ,metropolitan, knight, and plumix are all interchangeable.

ilangai
April 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM

SBREBROWN says you can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiaC_yVakI

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 03:29 PM
SBREBROWN says you can http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebiaC_yVakI

That's probably where I heard it.

thagbert
April 12th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I think about two months ago.. Maybe even less. I bought it from an eBay seller that wrote it's limited, might be also an older model not being produced anymore.. Either way, I love the looks of it more than the colored semi translucent end caps.

Maybe it's a frankenpen.

ilangai
April 13th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Maybe it's a frankenpen.

I thought so when I saw it the first time, but there where many other colors.. So, it's hard to believe that.
But if it is one, it's a really good one. ;-)

jor412
April 13th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Prera ,metropolitan, knight, and plumix are all interchangeable.

Yes indeed. I've switched nibs between my Prera and Plumix. I've also done close inspections of the Pilot 78G and Metropolitan nibs and feeds. They're all interchangeable. In fact, the Metropolitan even has the exact same section and shape as the 78G. So these are interchangeable as well.

I do like the way they perform but given that the Prera uses the same nib and feed as its cheaper cousins, then I'm basically paying more for its body. That doesn't quite work for me since lately all I've been doing is chasing nibs.

thagbert
April 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I thought so when I saw it the first time, but there where many other colors.. So, it's hard to believe that.
But if it is one, it's a really good one. ;-)

I think it is a production model. The white band around the base of the cap matches the ends.

iosepus
April 13th, 2013, 10:47 AM
The Prera with CM nib has been in the shops in Tokyo for quite a while. Those nibs are not tipped. And their feed seems to be richer in flow.

The Metropolitan/Cocoon, Prera, 78G and Penmanship/Pluminix use the same nib-feed units.

I wished the Metropolitan/Cocoon were that cheap in Japan. Here they cost the same as the Prera.

Cheers,

Iosepus (http://estilofilos.blogspot.jp)

Pinkys.Brain
April 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM
The Prera with CM nib has been in the shops in Tokyo for quite a while. Those nibs are not tipped. And their feed seems to be richer in flow.

The Metropolitan/Cocoon, Prera, 78G and Penmanship/Pluminix use the same nib-feed units.

I wished the Metropolitan/Cocoon were that cheap in Japan. Here they cost the same as the Prera.

Cheers,

Iosepus (http://estilofilos.blogspot.jp)

Hm, if I wanted a stub nib, I would go for a Lamy 1.1 in that price range (more stub nib variety). Unfortunately, Lamy 1.1 stub nibs are nowhere to be found here (please correct me if I'm wrong; that would make he happy!).

And yeah, the Metropolitan/Cocoon is way too expensive here in Japan. I would rather pay 2,000 Yen more and grab an Tombow Object. I prefer it's feel and the finish. You get a "German" F nib that is really stiff and a good feed. The Tombow has the better grip section... Here the Cocoon has way more rivals than in the west.

woosang
April 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM
And the Pilot handwriting pen. Also interchangeable

anaximander
April 19th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I have a Prera and a Metropolitan and really like them both. I think the Metropolitan is a better buy, but the Prera isn't going to break the bank either. I appreciate the fact that Pilot seems to put so much thought and effort into its lower-priced pens.

thagbert
April 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I have a Prera and a Metropolitan and really like them both. I think the Metropolitan is a better buy, but the Prera isn't going to break the bank either. I appreciate the fact that Pilot seems to put so much thought and effort into its lower-priced pens.

I'm not sure about the Metropolitan. I am not particularly fond of metal pens. But I notice it's made of brass. I might give one a shot. For fifteen bucks you can't hardly go wrong.

jor412
April 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM

Why do you think the Metropolitan is a better buy? I have both but I haven't used the Metropolitan yet.

liapuyat
April 22nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
I have a hot pink Prera with an F nib. Shortly after that I got a Plumix so I can put the italic nib in the pink Prera. I like both the italic and the standard F nibs.

Flake
April 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Bah! This is making me want another. My pink prera has a plumix nib in it because I hated the F nib (I gave it to a friend) but two years later....I really like the tiny nibs and wish I still had it. It might need a lime green friend....

thagbert
April 22nd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Got two new Preas in the mail today. A Lime Green and pure White. Both M nib.

Also got a 78G today with a B nib. Promptly yanked the nib from the 78G and stuck it in the Prera White!

The 78G is also available with a double broad nib.

thagbert
April 22nd, 2013, 03:43 PM

I have yet to see this pen anywhere but here. ilangai, you may have the only one!

ilangai
April 22nd, 2013, 09:47 PM

I have yet to see this pen anywhere but here. ilangai, you may have the only one!

Well.. Because when I saw mine there where other solid colors for sell, I doubt that.. And wish that, at the same time ;-).
My thoughts are, discontinued model or indeed a limited one..

thagbert
May 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM
New info! I just found out that this pen was voted MOST INCREDIBLE VALUE for 2012 by the readers of Pen World Magazine.

More proof that this is one of the most underrated fountain pens on the market.

jacksterp
May 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
The clear Preras are currently $35.00 U.S. at stationeryart.com and the solid colors $25.

BTW - I recently ordered two pens and a pencil from them and received my order in a week. Highly recommend them.

thagbert
May 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM
The clear Preras are currently $35.00 U.S. at stationeryart.com and the solid colors $25.

BTW - I recently ordered two pens and a pencil from them and received my order in a week. Highly recommend them.

Indeed! A smoking deal! If you want to try out the Prera, now is an excellent time! Shipping is $5. Ships from Hong Kong. Payment is PayPal.

But... I just found the Prera being sold with a Calligraphy Medium Nib at JetPens.com

Higher price, but this is the first time I have seen the Prera with anything but a Fine or Medium nib. These have been available in Japan but are just now showing up here.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Prera-Clear-Body-Fountain-Pen-Calligraphy-Medium-Nib-Clear-Light-Green-Accent/pd/10722

seffrican
May 13th, 2013, 05:02 PM
As for the Lamy's, well it's a functional pen but the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy your converter separately, why not just charge us the extra $5 or so and sell them at the same time. Sorry, that just annoys me esp since they have proprietary cartridges.

As others have said, the Safari is primarily promoted as a school pen, and most schoolkids use cartridges, and would never need the converter.

Of course, I like the fact that they write well, have easily changed nibs - that can be swapped even when the pen is full - and that they are built to survive schoolkids. They are the G-Shock of the writing world.

And I'll let you in on a secret: Parker converters will work in a Safari 99% of the time.

But now you people have got me looking at the Prera demonstrators...maybe my Vista would like one to keep it company?

CapeClear
May 14th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Well I don't have a Prera, but for €20 I'm finding it hard to resist...must resist...

Does anyone have an Ivory coloured version?

thagbert
May 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM
The Prera was voted MOST INCREDIBLE VALUE for 2012 by the readers of Pen World Magazine.

Sleepyside
May 17th, 2013, 06:42 AM
So for those who have bought from stationeryart.com, how much of a customs hit did you take and how is it collected? By the PO when you pick it up?

thagbert
May 17th, 2013, 07:47 AM
So for those who have bought from stationeryart.com, how much of a customs hit did you take and how is it collected? By the PO when you pick it up?

It ships from Hong Kong, so I don't think it's an issue. I've never had an issue with items from Hong Kong.

jacksterp
May 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Absolutely nothing.

Bogon07
May 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
None here in Australia.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by caribbean_skye http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19970#post19970)
As for the Lamy's, well it's a functional pen but the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy your converter separately, why not just charge us the extra $5 or so and sell them at the same time. Sorry, that just annoys me esp since they have proprietary cartridges.

Some sellers in UK & Malaysia/Singapore throw in a converter free with Safarii and Al-Stars.

CapeClear
May 21st, 2013, 02:48 PM
Well I just caved and bought a demonstrator Prera with orange accents from stationeryart :tsk:

thagbert
May 21st, 2013, 02:55 PM
Well I just caved and bought a demonstrator Prera with orange accents from stationeryart :tsk:

No caving required. I'm sure it was an easy decision! :clap2:

jacksterp
May 21st, 2013, 06:59 PM

DON'T - tempt me!!!

thagbert
May 21st, 2013, 07:58 PM

DON'T - tempt me!!!

Better hurry, they are starting to sell out!

jor412
May 21st, 2013, 08:29 PM
I gave my Prera another chance since reading this thread and have been really enjoying it. And I've been tempted to get another one but I keep getting a 502 error whenever I attempt to visit stationeryart.com. So maybe that's a good thing. ;)

jacksterp
May 22nd, 2013, 02:14 AM
Also caved and ordered a white one (M).

I love white pens...

CapeClear
May 22nd, 2013, 04:31 AM
Also caved and ordered a white one (M).

I love white pens...
The temptation is hard to resist. I kinda was torn between the demo and the ivory but I'm addicted to demo pens.

Nib will be immediately swapped out for a B italic.

thagbert
May 22nd, 2013, 05:02 AM
I just got a Pilot Plumix with an "Italic Calligraphy" nib. I yanked it out and stuck it on my white Prera. The nib looks the same as the Broad nib on the Pilot 78G. Except it is silver instead of gold.

jor412
May 22nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
I did that, too. I've used the italic nib in my 78Gs and my prera. :) It's quite fun for a change in the writing experience.

chiaroscuro
May 22nd, 2013, 08:14 PM

Nothing. They put a bunch on beautiful stamps on the packages and not much else, if you catch my drift. I do always request they use bubble wrap because they just use plain, unpadded manila envelopes.

thagbert
May 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Got two new Preras today. They are the two outer ones. Pilot Prera Clears with solid color accents. I believe the solid color accents were the first versions of the Prera Clear available in Japan. I don't believe they were ever sold in the U.S. All of the current Preras Clear have translucent accents. This is all conjecture. So if anyone has more information, I would be happy to hear it.

CapeClear
May 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
That white one is lovely Thagbert. Very jealous

thagbert
May 24th, 2013, 11:45 AM

I just got a white one and a pink one today. (see above) Thanks for showing me this!

Sailor Kenshin
May 24th, 2013, 12:18 PM
When I first learned about the Prera, I wanted one. The prices got out of control but if I could find one under $40 and with a stub, I might get it. As far as comparison to Lamy, well to each his own.

I own one Prera, in ivory, and many many many Safaris, lol. I am fond of pens that come in a range of colors, but here the Prera has climbed in price, and Safaris come with many different nibs, while the Prera doesn't have a tipped B.

Still, if I had the funds, I'd get a Prera in Every color because it does have a deluxe build quality.

chiaroscuro
May 25th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Ladies and Gents -- don't know if this has been mentioned yet but StationeryArt dropped their prices by a bunch and are giving free shipping above $100 USD. The solid Preras are at $25 USD right now.
I need more pencils like a hole in my head but I couldn't resist...
(For the record, I have no affiliation, other than a dozen + orders with no problems besides some instances of very slow shipping. Caveat Emptor, though: some of the prices seem too good to be true)

jacksterp
May 25th, 2013, 06:21 AM
thagbert - Where did you get the solid color end cap Preras? I love the white one...

menunes
May 25th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Thanks for this thread, I got a Lime Green F nib Prera comming.:)

thagbert
May 25th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Ladies and Gents -- don't know if this has been mentioned yet but StationeryArt dropped their prices by a bunch and are giving free shipping above $100 USD. The solid Preras are at $25 USD right now.
I need more pens like a hole in my head but I couldn't resist...
(For the record, I have no affiliation, other than a dozen + orders with no problems besides some instances of very slow shipping. Caveat Emptor, though: some of the prices seem too good to be true)

Shipping is $5. They are running out of quantities as we speak. They have only one color of the clear left. Somebody mentioned that they may not restock. This is the best deal by far out there. Except maybe if you lived in Japan! If you want a Prera, now is the time.

thagbert - Where did you get the solid color end cap Preras? I love the white one...

Got it on eBay. As I mentioned earlier, these are probably early production models from Japan.

Thanks for this thread, I got a Lime Green F nib Prera comming.:)

I have the green one too.

Still, if I had the funds, I'd get a Prera in Every color because it does have a deluxe build quality.

What he said!

CapeClear
May 25th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Stationery Art have a bizarre stocking policy. I've been purchasing off them for a long time and it's hard for me to tell if the blowout on the Preras is a stock ridding exercise. Only a few months ago they did a blitz on 78Gs until they were sold out and then did a total restock.

thagbert
May 29th, 2013, 12:48 PM

A little pen porn for admirers of Pilot Preras. These are clear Preras with solid color accents instead of the translucent accents available on Preras today. Count em, yes there are fifteen different colors. I have three of them. I am not even sure of the color names.

Looking around the interwebs, I have surmised these were the first generation clear Preras available in Japan. I am fairly certain these are no longer produced. There are some new ones for sale in Japan. But I feel those are remaining stock.

Also, to further muddy the waters, I believe there were ten translucent colors instead of the current seven colors available.

This is all conjecture based on my research and inability to read or speak Japanese!

CapeClear
May 31st, 2013, 09:42 AM
My Prera from Stationery Art came in yesterday's post. It really is lovely. It's a bit on the small side but this suits my tiny hands perfectly. My OH feels it is unusable unposted in her slightly larger hands. The fit and finish really is great. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it makes me want a demo piston filler. While the converter looks fine and prevents staining of the body, it really would look great as a piston. Oh well, custom series here I come!

thagbert
May 31st, 2013, 03:15 PM
My Prera from Stationery Art came in yesterday's post. It really is lovely. It's a bit on the small side but this suits my tiny hands perfectly. My OH feels it is unusable unposted in her slightly larger hands. The fit and finish really is great. The only thing I am disappointed with is that it makes me want a demo piston filler. While the converter looks fine and prevents staining of the body, it really would look great as a piston. Oh well, custom series here I come!

Yea, you pretty much have to post it. It is a compact size pen.

TWSBI Diamond Mini is an awesome piston filler. Similar in size to the Prera.

jor412
May 31st, 2013, 03:19 PM
A little pen porn for admirers of Pilot Preras. These are clear Preras with solid color accents instead of the translucent accents available on Preras today. Count em, yes there are fifteen different colors. I have three of them. I am not even sure of the color names.

I like the one right next to the bright pink one. On my screen it looks like magenta. I also like the two blues on the far end. Which three colors do you have?

thagbert
May 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM

I like the one right next to the bright pink one. On my screen it looks like magenta. I also like the two blues on the far end. Which three colors do you have?

I have one of the blues (a darker one) vivid pink and white.

jor412
May 31st, 2013, 05:19 PM
I like the dark blues and the yellows. Very nice. I'm kind of relieved that stationeryart ran out of the colors I prefer because I already overspent for pens this month. :p Thanks to this thread, I've a newfound appreciation for my brown Prera. I have it inked with Noodler's Zhivago and I've paired it off with another of my under-used pens, a Monteverde Artista Crystal. The Crystal is a bit longer but they have a similar profile and look good together.

thagbert
May 31st, 2013, 07:36 PM
I like the dark blues and the yellows. Very nice. I'm kind of relieved that stationeryart ran out of the colors I prefer because I already overspent for pens this month. :p Thanks to this thread, I've a newfound appreciation for my brown Prera. I have inked with Noodler's Zhivago and I've paired it off with another of my under-used pens, a Monteverde Artista Crystal. The Crystal is a bit longer but they have a similar profile and look good together.

All of the demonstrators are sold out, but there are plenty of the solid color versions available fro $24.99 plus $5 shipping! ( I know I sound like a bloody ad. But this is a killer price for a pen that usually goes for $40 to $70 dollars US.)

jacksterp
May 31st, 2013, 08:00 PM
I don't know if this counts, but the post office attempted to deliver my Prera today. Unfortunately, I was at the Raleigh pen show and missed them.
Looking forward to getting it tomorrow.

jor412
May 31st, 2013, 08:01 PM
hehe. Really tempting but they're out of the solid yellow with medium nibs so I'm still safe. When they restock I'll probably have money for pens again. :D

woosang
May 31st, 2013, 09:34 PM
One of my preras made my pen on the month for June :-) a winter month needs a cheery pen3141

jor412
May 31st, 2013, 11:12 PM
I want that color! :p

thagbert
June 1st, 2013, 07:33 AM
One of my preras made my pen on the month for June :-) a winter month needs a cheery pen

Very nice! Nice combination!

Sailor Kenshin
June 1st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Yes indeed! How does the Ambre de Birmanie write/look in such a fine nib? Is the ink legible?

jacksterp
June 1st, 2013, 12:47 PM
One of my preras made my pen on the month for June :-) a winter month needs a cheery pen3141

Ooh woosang that combination looks like a winner! Would love to see an example!

woosang
June 2nd, 2013, 12:17 AM
Yes indeed! How does the Ambre de Birmanie write/look in such a fine nib? Is the ink legible?

Sure is3178

woosang
June 2nd, 2013, 12:18 AM

Ooh woosang that combination looks like a winner! Would love to see an example!

Cool see above. And I was going to use Diamine Sunshine yellow but that's a bit too bright for a full inking :) it is also legible FTR

Bogon07
June 2nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
Woosang, now that is a nice bright cheery yellow & Ambre de Birmanie doesn't look half bad either.

Will you leave the nib sticker on the barrel or wil you remove it after a while ?
I know I would have to remove it almost straight away.

woosang
June 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM
I usually take it off after the label gets smudged it's just laziness

CapeClear
June 7th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Something I've noticed in the last few days is that the feed and nib occasionally seem to 'come loose' slightly and fall down a bit in the section. The nib is not the stock nib, it's a Plumix nib. When I push the unit back into the section everything is fine but the fact that it has dropped at all is kind of alarming. Perhaps my nib is not the correct size to pressure fit into the section.

jor412
June 7th, 2013, 04:04 AM
It shouldn't come loose because the nibs are the same size and shape. Either the nib isn't in right or something is broken.

woosang
June 7th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Goulet pens have a video from memory the Prera has to go in the right way, there is a slight space for the nib. The plumix doesn't have this. Look for plumera video from a while ago on you tube.

thagbert
June 7th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Goulet pens have a video from memory the Prera has to go in the right way, there is a slight space for the nib. The plumix doesn't have this. Look for plumera video from a while ago on you tube.

Video here:
Pilot…Plumera? (http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/10/pilotplumera.html)

If your nib is not aligned properly with the feed, it won't go back in the pen. The video discuss this. The nib and feed together can go back in the pen any direction. It doesn't matter. If you are still having problems, I would remove the nib and feed and rotate it 90 degrees and reinsert.

The nib and feed come out pretty easily, that means it is not a real tight friction fit. You may have one that is a little looser than normal.

woosang
June 7th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Video here:
Pilot…Plumera? (http://www.inknouveau.com/2012/10/pilotplumera.html)

That's it. :-) thanks!!

thagbert
June 7th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Thanks woosang and thagbert. I know the attached picture is awful (iPhone pic 'cos I'm in my parent's house) but you can make out where the nib is sitting in relation to the feed.

I suppose I should really flush the thing out and have a proper look.

Looks Normal to me. I would put a piece of tape on your pen before removing the nib and mark the alignment. Then when reinserting the nib, rotate it as I said. It's worth a shot.

woosang
June 7th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks woosang and thagbert. I know the attached picture is awful (iPhone pic 'cos I'm in my parent's house) but you can make out where the nib is sitting in relation to the feed.

I suppose I should really flush the thing out and have a proper look.

Looks Normal to me. I would put a piece of tape on your pen before removing the nib and mark the alignment. Then when reinserting the nib, rotate it as I said. It's worth a shot.

Ditto.

kemuri
June 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hello, friends! This is my very first post here at fpgeeks.

I just got a Prera, iro ai (demonstrator) with the M nib.

Great pen, but too light. Don't know yet if what I think about the weight...

Anyway... I saw lots of pictures of the Prera and a few shows it as an eyedropper.

Does anyone here tried to convert it to an eyedropper? Any tips to do it in a safe manner?

Thank you, guys. A few yours here and I could learn alot from your posts!!

-kemuri

thagbert
June 13th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Here is a photo of my Prera Iro Ai with solid color accents. I believe there are fifteen different colors of this version. Discontinued and only sold in Japan. Two came from Japan, one from Hong Kong and one from the U.S.

kemuri
June 17th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Here is a photo of my Prera Iro Ai with solid color accents. I believe there are fifteen different colors of this version. Discontinued and only sold in Japan. Two came from Japan, one from Hong Kong and one from the U.S.

Soooo nice!!

Some colors were discontinued, right?

-kemuri

thagbert
June 18th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Soooo nice!!

Some colors were discontinued, right?

-kemuri

I believe all of the solid color accents were discontinued. Any still available are remaining stock.

menunes
June 20th, 2013, 04:05 AM
I received my Prera from Stationary Art today. I'm a bit disappointed, it didn't came with any converter. How about yours?:angry:

woosang
June 20th, 2013, 04:20 AM
For the 50% price saving, you don't get a converter with the Prera. I had a few at home so it wasn't an issue. It takes the con-20 and con-50

jacksterp
June 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I received my Prera from Stationary Art today. I'm a bit disappointed, it didn't came with any converter. How about yours?:angry:

Nor did mine.

I just snatched a squeeze converter from a 78G I had laying around.

CapeClear
June 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
My Prera demo is definitely faulty :( The section is simply too 'wide' for every feed and nib combo I throw at it.

pocketses
June 22nd, 2013, 08:34 PM
That's unusual! I had a gray Prera way back when when they first came out and mine wrote like a dream. The only flaw I could find with it was that it was lighter than I liked in a pen.

thagbert
June 26th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I just got a Pilot Plumix with an "Italic Calligraphy" nib. I yanked it out and stuck it on my white Prera. The nib looks the same as the Broad nib on the Pilot 78G. Except it is silver instead of gold.

I believe the Plumix nib is the same nib as the Calligraphy Medium nib now being sold in the United States by JetPens.com. It writes very nicely. Probably just a little narrower than a 1.1 Stub nib on a TWSBI pen.

Honey Mustard
June 26th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Does anyone have the brown Pilot Prera? I've been thinking about picking one up as it looks pretty much black in every photo I've seen of it, but I'd like to make sure it looks that way in person as well.

thagbert
June 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Does anyone have the brown Pilot Prera? I've been thinking about picking one up as it looks pretty much black in every photo I've seen of it, but I'd like to make sure it looks that way in person as well.

I too had issues looking at this pen. Mine is the color of Hershey Dark Chocolate.

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I almost bought a Prera but opted for a Falcon instead. If the prices hold, I will be getting a blue one soon.

jacksterp
June 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
We have completely cleaned out the Preras from Stationeryart.

thagbert
June 28th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I almost bought a Prera but opted for a Falcon instead. If the prices hold, I will be getting a blue one soon.

That's a big difference.

thagbert
June 28th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I looked the other day and all they had was vivid pink.

I wonder if they are going to restock?

jacksterp
June 28th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Beats me - even the pink ones are gone.

KrazyIvan
June 28th, 2013, 01:53 PM

That's a big difference.

Not that much. I got it used so saved quite a bit over new/retail.

Honey Mustard
July 5th, 2013, 06:55 PM

I too had issues looking at this pen. Mine is the color of Hershey Dark Chocolate.

Thanks! I think I'll pick one up. It might look nice with Diamine's Chocolate ink.

Honey Mustard
July 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I looked the other day and all they had was vivid pink.

I wonder if they are going to restock?

They said they'll maybe restock certain items. Apparently the Yen isn't doing well, and its difficult for them to stock fountain pens at the moment.

thagbert
July 15th, 2013, 08:54 AM
There is a review of the Prera Calligraphy Medium nib over at the The Pen Addict blog.

Pilot Prera Clear Body Fountain Pen - Calligraphy Medium Nib Review (http://penaddict.com/blog/2013/7/15/pilot-prera-clear-body-fountain-pen-calligraphy-medium-nib-review)

The Prera Calligraphy Medium nib is available from JetPens. It is a 1.1mm Stub Italic. The same nib is also available on a Pilot Plumix, except the nib is called a Medium Flat Italic.

KrazyIvan
July 15th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I suspect it is also the same nib on the 78G but labelled B and there is a BB version too. The B seems smaller than a 1.1mm though.

theolu
July 31st, 2013, 08:11 AM
Has anyone had flow issues with their Prera? I loaded mine with some Noodler's Black and the flow seems off. Lines aren't as dark as they should be unless I write slower with more pressure. The Pen is pretty new and has only previously had Pilot Blue/Black cartridges in it. Is this just a bad ink/pen combo?

thagbert
July 31st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Has anyone had flow issues with their Prera? I loaded mine with some Noodler's Black and the flow seems off. Lines aren't as dark as they should be unless I write slower with more pressure. The Pen is pretty new and has only previously had Pilot Blue/Black cartridges in it. Is this just a bad ink/pen combo?

My Preras seem to flow fine. The nib and feed are easily removed for cleaning. A good soak may resolve your issues.

Or try a different ink. The Noodler's could be an issue.

theolu
August 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM

My Preras seem to flow fine. The nib and feed are easily removed for cleaning. A good soak may resolve your issues.

Or try a different ink. The Noodler's could be an issue.

Thanks. I've got some new ink coming in so I'll probably do both.