PDA

View Full Version : Pilot nib question

newkid
April 9th, 2017, 05:39 AM
I have a question regarding Pilot nibs. Would a fine gold nib in a Pilot 74 have the same width ink line as a fine steel nib in a Pilot Metropolitan?

N.K.

jar
April 9th, 2017, 05:48 AM
I have a question regarding Pilot nibs. Would a fine gold nib in a Pilot 74 have the same width ink line as a fine steel nib in a Pilot Metropolitan?

N.K.

The most likely answer is "No", but that is true of any comparison of any two nibs. Nib width is assigned as a range not a specific number even when labeled as a specific number and line width depends on far more than just the absolute width of a nib. It depends on ink, on paper, on humidity at the time of use, on the speed of movement, the shape of the nib, the condition of the feed and probably a dozen or so other factors.

Marsilius
April 9th, 2017, 09:14 AM
My F 74 nib was narrower than my Metro, but I opened it a bit so the difference is now less. My experience is that the M Metro is a bit smoother . . . But that is based on a comparison on single pens. My feeling is that the M Metro feels close to a F, but the F 74 feels like a really fine F.

Marsilius
April 9th, 2017, 10:53 AM
And maybe a subtle point. My impression is that the F nib on the 74 comes from an expectation of Japanese writing that one might press down more (than I do anyway). The M of the Metro is smoother than the more resistant feel of the F 74 nib, which is meant to feel that way. Not sure if that is clear, but someone will no doubt help.

stub
April 9th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I find my Metros to be closer to the FM nib in the 74. YMMV

newkid
April 9th, 2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my question regarding Pilot nibs.