PDA

View Full Version : Cross Bailey questions

mreeveshp
April 10th, 2017, 07:46 AM
I just got my very first non disposable fountain pen and as you probably can guess it's a cross Bailey but I have 2 questions that someone might be able to help me with (1) no matter what I do I just can't seem to get the cap to post unless I push way to hard and even then a slight nudge or fast motion and it comes loose, is there a way to get it to post and stay there? (2) my work has me outside writing in humid environments and I have noticed that the grip is very slick especially with just slight moisture in the air do I just need to keep wiping it dry or is there a remedy to that.

I do have the lamy safari charcoal, pilot creaper, and I can't decide on the platinum plaisir or the pilot metropolitan so if you want to add your thoughts in helping me make the decision that would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance
Mreeveshp

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jar
April 10th, 2017, 07:48 AM
The Cross Bailey does not post well. And yes, the grip does get slippery.

DaveBj
April 10th, 2017, 07:48 AM
Cross Baileys don't post. I have one, and I'm going to PIF it for that reason (and two other non-posting pens).

ambimom
April 10th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Not all fountain pens post. The pilot metropolitan is your best bet. It posts, has many nib choices, comes in lots of different colors, and is a good writer.

Marsilius
April 10th, 2017, 08:45 AM
If those two issues are important, you might try the Pilot Metro or Lamy Safari as reasonable priced alternatives, to name a couple. I have a Cross Stratford that post, but it is thinner than the Bailey. Not sure if it gets slippery. There is also a more matte/rough edged Bailey, but the section where the fingers grip is still smooth. Good luck!

RocketRyan
April 10th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I would say the platinum cool/balance is a better bet might be a little bit dearer but I found it much nicer to hold than the Lamy or metropolitan. If you shop around you can find them for £25.

mreeveshp
April 10th, 2017, 05:48 PM
DaveBj sorry for my ignorance but what is PIF cause if that will make it post I'm interested.

And thank you to everyone else for the advice on my upcoming purchase

jar
April 10th, 2017, 06:09 PM
DaveBj sorry for my ignorance but what is PIF cause if that will make it post I'm interested.

And thank you to everyone else for the advice on my upcoming purchase

PIF is short for Pay It Forward. It is when some gifts an item usually to new users. It will not make a Cross Bailey Post.

mreeveshp
April 10th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Thank you. I love that idea if I ever have more and can get to one I'd love to give one to someone like me that doesn't have much money just wants to get into the hobby so bad.

I'm also thinking about the Al-Star over the safari what does everyone think about that

Lady Onogaro
April 10th, 2017, 06:33 PM
If you don't like the slippery section, you can try what someone suggested to me about metal sections: wrap in in a washi tape that you like. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

I don't post my pens so the posting issue isn't a problem for me.

RocketRyan
April 10th, 2017, 10:44 PM
I prefer the al-star to the safari.

Lady Onogaro
April 10th, 2017, 11:31 PM
I prefer the Safari because it doesn't get scratched up like the AL-Star does (at least I've managed to scratch my ocean blue version by posting it, ergo, no more posting for me). But I did buy the Purple one and the Blue-Green one.

mreeveshp
April 11th, 2017, 05:42 AM
I really like the blue color on them but my cross is a blue and that charcoal looks so nice to me plus it looks more textured so I'm trying to have all different colors

mreeveshp
April 15th, 2017, 11:41 PM
Since the Bailey doesn't post is there a way to modify it without damaging the seals in the cap so I can post it while writing on my clipboard while working?

Bob
April 17th, 2017, 10:01 PM
The Bailey was my first pen, as well. The nib is very smooth. Just keep it indoors. You'll be fine