PDA

View Full Version : Papermate DJ: Cute little squid

Sailor Kenshin
April 12th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Apologies in advance for the lousy picture quality AND the random annoying asterisks. Still trying to get the hang of this ipad.

Many of you know Dr. Inkenstein as the Chief Engineer on the Cheap, Cheerful Pen Express.* So when I discovered this little oddity surfing fleabay, I snapped it up.

The Papermate DJ uses standard international cartridges.* It comes in a few different colors, and this one that I bought was sold as green, labeled blue, and definitely looks a green that leans just slightly toward blue.* The Skrip Green in was IT for this pen.* A perfect pen/ink combo, owing entirely to laziness and luck.

At first, Dr. Inkenstein came away with green fingers and thought this little fountain pen leaked.* Later on, it was discovered to be Operator Error.* This has turned out to be a nice, wet, smooth writer that is yes, obviously cheap, but very comfy to hold and write with.

It has rubber-ish trim rings, and the translucent black*cap does post (though not all that securely),*and has the extra added advantage of two little 'relief'' *hearts displayed on the clip if you are into cute.* I am.

I don't know if this is NOS or just new, but I had never seen the like, and jumped*on it.* I'm sure if you searched for 'Papermate DJ Fountain Pen' you'd find it.* I think if you're a fan of inexpensive and cheerful writers this will be right up your alley.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8111/8640961990_e78cb6945b_z.jpg

KrazyIvan
April 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I really like how you matched the pen and ink. I like how the nib sticks out from the larger section diameter, I have no idea why or if I even put that into words correctly.

Sailor Kenshin
April 12th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks.

I really have to learn to take better pictures because one of my fountain pen themes is Oddballs.

Bogon07
April 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Interesting looking pen. It looks strange the way the nib just sticks into the barrel.

recluse
April 12th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Interestingly, another Reynolds pen popped up in FPN just few days ago.

This is, indeed, an okay pen with a stiff smooth nib. The nib unit is the same as in BIC's disposables but with the wick feed. I had a few issues with the pen: my pen required some force to open, which is not bothersome by itself (not that I could get tired uncapping the pen) but I expect it to be prone to spitting ink; it''s small and while it can be posted it is not very secure and, finally, the wick while ensures a steady ink flow prolongs the final stage when the ink is almost over, plus it makes cleaning longer.

It's an interesting starter pen overall.

fountainpenkid
April 12th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Nice looking!

Sailor Kenshin
April 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I took a somewhat better picture. Here:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8530/8645843934_f1090da78c_z.jpg

But I really must get better picture-making equipment. It is a buttery-smooth writer, fun to hold, and I may go back for another color. I didn't mention that it came with a free cart of some unknown blue.

writingrav
April 13th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Is it cartridge only?

Sailor Kenshin
April 13th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I can't be sure, but there might be room in the barrel for a con. I'd have to test it, though.

writingrav
April 13th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Well don't go to any trouble, but if you do, let us know. Thanks.

Sailor Kenshin
April 14th, 2013, 06:27 AM
The barrel appears long enough to fit two carts so it will probably take a con. Even if not, carts are refillable with the ink of your choice. That's what I did with this one.

recluse
April 14th, 2013, 03:41 PM
It takes a standard converter without any problem. And to my surprise it uncaps much easier than I've remembered, maybe I've loosened it up.