PDA

View Full Version : Best Glue for Black Hard Rubber?

reason
April 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM
I just got a Moore Safety pen that has the feed snapped off of the shaft (the previous owner was clearly trying to remove the nib and broke the feed in the process, the the nib is okay).

I have the broken piece and I'd like to try to glue the feed piece back onto the shaft. Is there a glue or cement that would work for this?

The way it's broken, in the center of the feed channel, the glue would definitely come in contact with ink so it would have to be able to withstand that.

Jon Szanto
April 13th, 2017, 11:51 AM
As a rule, HR does not work with glues. Softer rubbers will form a bond, but the oxidization qualities of HR don't lend well. Traditional 'super glues' and cryanolates don't hold. The only product I've heard mentioned that can be effective in some cases is Loctite 480, which is black (so it would be dicey on a RHR pen), and might work in this case if you opt to not look for another feed. It is a bit expensive and isn't commonly found, though can be with a good search.

PaulS
April 13th, 2017, 12:04 PM
have to say it's not something I've tried, but sounds like one of those repairs where there's a need for accuracy when joining the two halves, otherwise might be a problem replacing in the section. Araldite gives you a longer open time, but Loctite Super Glues cure very quickly... so a case of whether you think you might want some re-positioning time, or think you can get the thing located accurately immediately. My opinion might be to go for the Loctite, and I'd have thought these were impervious to ink, but there are a variety of glue formulae I think within the Loctite group, so best to check before buying.
Make sure any ink channels were clear of dried adhesive before replacing in section. If you have any old/gash unwanted feeds laying around, snap a couple and see how you get on re-joining them before working on the Moore.

Jon Szanto
April 13th, 2017, 12:12 PM
My opinion might be to go for the Loctite, and I'd have thought these were impervious to ink, but there are a variety of glue formulae I think within the Loctite group, so best to check before buying.

I think it has to be the *specific* one I mentioned, the 480. Your suggestion to try with other feeds is a sound one. However, knowing how one has to grip feed and nib to appropriately set them in the section, I have very low expectations for success when a feed has literally been snapped in half. This is going to have to be one very careful, lucky repair.

D Armstrong
April 13th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I have used G2 epoxy (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20011&cat=1,110,42965&ap=1) with good effect on hard rubber. The issue is not so much that it won't glue, but that oxidization won't glue. If you get the break when it is fresh, and if oxidization hasn't been accelerated by exposure to water or UV light, then it can work.

G3 is waterproof, whereas many epoxies--and almost all cyanoacrylates--are not, and will degrade when exposed to ink.

FredRydr
April 13th, 2017, 05:20 PM
If you love the pen, I'd have Brad Torelli or Rick Horne make a new feed from BHR rod stock. Otherwise, it's a parts hunt. Unless the pen is never going to be used, I cannot imagine gluing a hard rubber feed that'll be subject to regular stresses and moisture.

Fred

Jon Szanto
April 13th, 2017, 06:12 PM
I have used G2 epoxy (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20011&cat=1,110,42965&ap=1) with good effect on hard rubber. The issue is not so much that it won't glue, but that oxidization won't glue. If you get the break when it is fresh, and if oxidization hasn't been accelerated by exposure to water or UV light, then it can work.

G3 is waterproof, whereas many epoxies--and almost all cyanoacrylates--are not, and will degrade when exposed to ink.

Can you clarify: is the 2nd mention ("G3") a typo, and you are only referring to G2 in your response (that is what I assume)?

PaulS
April 14th, 2017, 02:13 AM
quote from Jon Szanto ............ "I think it has to be the *specific* one I mentioned, the 480." .......... apologies, am sure you're correct. I think our posts clashed, and I thought for a moment that mine was going in first, but it didn't, so made my comments appear as though I'd ignored you, which wasn't my intention. sorry.

Probably on balance I'd would agree that - due to a variety of issues - this is not an easy repair, and a replacement is most likely the best solution.

reason
April 15th, 2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks for all your responses!

I have a bottle of Loctite 480 on order. Looking it up in relation to fountain pens I'm impressed with what people have done with it.

I will probably eventually get a new shaft made or find the part in the wild.

But for now it doesn't hurt to at least try the repair. The one thing going for the repair is that it is really the most simplest of feeds. It's just a single wide channel. That's it. So I'm hoping it will be more forgiving of a repair like this as opposed to a more advanced feed with fins and the like.

Farmboy
April 15th, 2017, 07:24 PM
I would think a replacement feed would be relatively easy to obtain.