PDA

View Full Version : How to piston fill a Pelikan M805 Souveran - let out a few drops of ink?

kaliuzhkin
April 13th, 2017, 05:34 PM
My question relates to filling a Pelikan M805 Souveran. After turning the knob to pull ink in, should I then gently let out a few (3 - 8) drops of ink and then replace those drops with some air? I recall doing this when I filled a Montblanc decades ago, but haven't seen any reference recently to this procedure. Is it recommended for any other piston-filled pens?

Kaliuzhkin

carlos.q
April 13th, 2017, 05:52 PM
3 drops are ok. Take a look at this video:

https://youtu.be/Cdu6TFEeQfM

PS. Welcome to FPGeeks!

Call_me_Tom
April 16th, 2017, 04:57 PM
What does the air do?

fqgouvea
April 16th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I just saw similar instructions for an Aurora, and I am wondering as well: what is the advantage of letting out three drops?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mhosea
April 16th, 2017, 06:31 PM
The object is to free up at least a little storage capacity in your feed. You let out a little ink because you need to move the piston forward a little, and letting a few drops back into the ink bottle is the least messy way to do it. Then you turn the nib upwards and draw the piston back in order to suck some ink out of the feed. If you were to fill the pen without doing this and then just cap it and put it in your pocket, heating from your body will make the residual air inside the ink chamber expand (there's always at least a bubble). If the feed has no capacity left to absorb the ink that gets moved forward from the force of the expanding air, the ink will be expelled into the cap where it can make a mess. On the other hand, if you immediately commence to writing a long document, I do not think there is any problem with not doing it, except possibly that the pen might write a little wetter for a little bit.

kaliuzhkin
April 20th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Then you turn the nib upwards and draw the piston back in order to suck some ink out of the feed.
Thanks for including this step!

Dan