PDA

View Full Version : stuck in an elevator

jor412
April 14th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Today, I got stuck in an elevator for 5 minutes. I left my phone in my apartment because I was just going down to our lobby to return the trolley I had borrowed. What was it like? Well, I was alone, had no phone, and the emergency button wasn't working. I worried about details and shouted for help as loudly as I could. I could've gotten louder but I didn't. I worried about toilet matters and cockroaches and other ugly things.

Anyway, getting stuck -- it didn't fee like I was in the movies.

Bogon07
April 14th, 2013, 06:37 PM
No permanent psychological damage done I hope. 5 minutes seems like a very long time when that sort of thing happens.

sloegin
April 14th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Did you hear about the guy trapped in one for 41 hours? An article here (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/04/21/080421fa_fact_paumgarten).

KrazyIvan
April 14th, 2013, 08:06 PM
How did you finally get out?

jor412
April 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Apparently all my neighbors in apartments near the elevator lobby heard me and started calling the guard. It was a little embarrassing when I got out and the first thing I did was cuss. "WTF was that?!?" :p

cedargirl
April 14th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I'm glad you survived - with gusto!

jor412
April 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Haha me too. I'm laughing about it now because it was only 5 minutes so not at all harrowing. But when I was in there and the emergency button wasn't working, I didn't find it funny :blink:

woosang
April 14th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Ugh something to be fixed asap

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

jor412
April 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Yes. And you know what? It happened again this morning. But this time, I was with 2 other people, and I said to them, "If the doors open, let's step out because this happened to me last night." The doors opened, we stepped out. I called up the Admin office and complained.

writingrav
April 15th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Didn't you have a notebook and pen with you? A good opportunity to write reflections:)

jor412
April 15th, 2013, 06:08 AM
LOL Well this morning I had my whole backpack with me but I was dying to get out of the elevator.

manoeuver
April 15th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Tall building? Why would you get back on that elevator? Yikes!

jor412
April 15th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Just 9 floors. That elevator was running and the other was not. They're renovating the building, including the elevators, and someone was painting the inside of the other one. I didn't want to but it was around 10:30 am so I assumed someone had "fixed" the elevator since it was running. I didn't freak this time because I was with two other people and we all had our phones :D

manoeuver
April 15th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Plenty to eat in the elevator then, also. You'd need to disable their phones first.

jor412
April 15th, 2013, 03:18 PM
:rofl:

Bogon07
April 15th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Its Global !
One of the elevators at work dropped 3-4" when I got in at lunch time today.
And no I don't have a weight problem.

KrazyIvan
April 16th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Its Global !
One of the elevators at work dropped 3-4" went I got in at lunch time today.
And no I don't have a weight problem.

:jaw: That would have freaked me out enough to use the stairs.

Bogon07
April 17th, 2013, 01:47 AM
:jaw: That would have freaked me out enough to use the stairs.

Oh and it started making beeping noises down to the ground floor. Luckily I work on the 3rd floor but you can't use the fire stair because they are alarmed.

jor412
April 17th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Yikes. The elevator that I got stuck in had come to bumpy halt. :p Looks like they fixed it though but now I always have my phone with me.

fountainpenkid
April 17th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Being trapped is very scary, especially in an elevator. I got stuck in my aunt's bathroom once at a party (the door handle jammed.), and that was the most terrifying 20 minutes of my life.

Tracy Lee
April 17th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Got stuck in one in a parking garage. On my way to a deposition. The emergency phone let me call, then disconnected me from help 30 seconds later, did that every time I called. When they freed me they yelled at me for repeatedly hanging up on them. Um, whaaaaatttttt? Why would I do that? It was no fun. :mad:

BikerBabe
April 26th, 2013, 09:50 AM
My father used to work at an old people's home (english word?) when I was a kid.
He did maintenance, and sometimes he had a week where he would get called out at any hour of the day, the various maintenance employees did that at regular intervals, taking turns for one week at a time.
And because of the union rules, dad got called out to do anything from changing light bulbs (- yes, the nurses wasn't allowed to do that! o.0 ) to sorting out stuck elevators.
Sometimes I was allowed to go with him, and I tested the elevators for him to make sure that they wouldn't get stuck again when he had done the repairs.
He also explained to me how the elevators worked, and what safety mechanisms they had, which have had the very nice effect for me that I'm no way near being afraid or worried about getting stuck in an elevator.

The only things that would worry me if stuck, was:
a. No smoking. (I smoke.)
b. Having to pee or getting the runs while stuck. How likely is that? :p

The worst thing that could happen was that I would be bored out of my skull, if I ever got stuck in an elevator. :D

jor412
April 28th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Got stuck in one in a parking garage. On my way to a deposition. The emergency phone let me call, then disconnected me from help 30 seconds later, did that every time I called. When they freed me they yelled at me for repeatedly hanging up on them. Um, whaaaaatttttt? Why would I do that? It was no fun. :mad:

I would've probably yelled back at them.

He also explained to me how the elevators worked, and what safety mechanisms they had, which have had the very nice effect for me that I'm no way near being afraid or worried about getting stuck in an elevator.

The only things that would worry me if stuck, was:
a. No smoking. (I smoke.)
b. Having to pee or getting the runs while stuck. How likely is that? :p

The worst thing that could happen was that I would be bored out of my skull, if I ever got stuck in an elevator. :D

I've watched too many movies with crashing elevators. :p And I was worried about some of same things. I used to smoke so I can imagine that really well.

audadvnc
May 2nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
I hear they're still pulling live people out of that collapsed textile building in Bangladesh.

I like mango pudding
May 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I got stuck in an elevator with a few people one time and I said: "That's okay, I ate lunch already. It won't be for at least 24 hours till I have to eat one of you." Some people took it light hearted and laughed at the humor. One person's eyes grew bigger in shock for about 2 seconds, and then he calmed down.

jor412
May 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
:roll: