PDA

View Full Version : A few size comparisons of models. I hope this helps others

mmahany
April 15th, 2013, 09:23 AM
I know I've personally bought a few pens that a expected to be much larger or smaller than they actually were. I took a few pictures that I think may help some people. Feel free to ask any question on specific measurements. I tried to cater this information to the newer Montblanc collector that doesn't have a boutique near them. Hopefully some of this information will give you a better idea of which pen is best for you.

Fountain Pens (114 Mozart, 144 Solitaire, 146 Le Grand, 147 Le Grand Traveler, 149)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2013-04-15090332_zps1d89db3f.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/2013-04-15090332_zps1d89db3f.jpg.html)

Ballpoints (Starwalker, 164 Solitaire, 164 resin, 164 resin, 161 Le Grand Resin, 161 Le Grand Resin, 161 Le Grand Resin Bordeaux)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2013-04-15090708_zpsa9b49a4d.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/2013-04-15090708_zpsa9b49a4d.jpg.html)

Rollerballs (163 Silver Solitaire, 163 Silver Solitaire, Starwalker Cool Blue, 162 with gold trim, 162 with platinum trim)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2013-04-15090508_zpse15e4a79.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/2013-04-15090508_zpse15e4a79.jpg.html)

Various sized pens in order from thinnest to thickest (114 Mozart, 164 ballpoint, 144 Fountain, 163 rollerball, starwalker bp, starwalker rb, 161 Le Grand, 146 Fountain, 147 Fountain, 149 Fountain, 169 Leonardo Sketch pencil)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2013-04-15091000_zps2ca79002.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/2013-04-15091000_zps2ca79002.jpg.html)

Various size pens ordered in a biggest, smallest, second biggest, second smallest fashion
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2013-04-15091101_zps6a8c6941.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/2013-04-15091101_zps6a8c6941.jpg.html)

Here's an older picture of my collection that displays a few other pens not pictured above(161 ballpoint, 146 fountain, starwalker metal/rubber fineliner, starwalker mystery black fineliner, boheme rollerball, 145 chopin, 144 fountain, 163 rollerball, 164 ballpoint, 144 solitaire fountain, 163 silver rollerball, boheme doue ballpoint, boheme ballpoint.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/2012-04-04112849.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/2012-04-04112849.jpg.html)

A couple notes meant to help new collectors. These are all opinions:
Meisterstuck Pens:

-Classique Line (114,163,164,144, 145)-
-114 Mozart- This this is tiny, but surprisingly well built. Has threads on both ends of the barrel for the cap to screw on or post to the barrel when writing. I keep it in a little leather case that holds a small note pad and my business cards.
-In my opinion, I would avoid the 163,164, and 144 pens in their "precious resin" version. I've seen these break more than any other pen. I would strongly suggest going with a solitaire barrel which makes them more dureable and easy to look at. The only precious resin classique pen I would consider is the 145 Chopin. It has a screw on cap and is made of thicker material which makes it more durable. The 145 is a very good all around mid sized pen.

Le Grand Line (161, 162, 166, 146, 147, and 149)-This is my personal favorite line as my collection probably displays. The Le Grands are physically larger but also much heavier and solid feeling. I don't feel like if I dropped one I'd be picking up millions of pieces. My 161 ballpoint and 162 rollerball are my two favorite pens for filling out paperwork. They are great for a mid to larger sized hand and are always reliable. The 166 document marker is a fancy term for a highlighter. I'd never pay full price for one, but at $105 I picked it up with a leather MB case and don't regret it one bit.

The Le Grand Fountain pens are well known and many will agree that you should own at least one Le Grand fountain pen in your collection.
-The 146 is a perfect all around pen. A piston filler, larger size, durable, but not too heavy that you can't write with it for long periods of time.

-I use my 147 Le Grand Traveler for reason its name suggests. The 147 is a cartridge filler and pretty much the exact same size as a 146. The cartridges fit in an insert that I find much nicer than the smaller 144/145 pens. The insert can also hide an extra refill behind the one being used. However, know that you cannot use an ink converter if that is important to you. The 147 also comes with a nice carrying case for the pen that also can hold 6 extra cartridges. Essentially it is the largest cartridge filling pen made by Montblanc that also comes with a nice case and the capacity to easily carry 8 cartridges. I consider this, my favorite all around pen made by Montblanc as I am comfortable using it for paperwork, writting letters, and when I traveling on planes.

-The 149 Le Grand "Diplomat" is the flagship pen made by Montblanc. I see it as a work of art, an iconic pen, and a fantastic writer. It is noticeably larger than the 146 and I would reserve it for special writing sessions that won't last for several hours. The weight and size of the pen alone can make your hand a bit tired after writing several pages. Still, it is weighted perfectly and I use both of mine very often.

Starwalker Line:
I am personally a big fan of metal-based Starwalker Pens. I've owned about 12-15 of them and they are very well built in my opinion.
Metallic Starwalkers- I've owned the Cool Blues, Mystery Blacks, and Metal/Rubber versions. All were very well built and I sold them off a few of them simply because my collection got too big.

Midnight Black and Precious Resin Starwalkers- I've been met with some opposition on this in the past, but I consider the precious resin Starwalkers to be very inferior pens. I owned two and sold them off quickly after. They just felt cheap to me. They had the durability of a classique meisterstuck pen and the twist mechanism on the ballpoint I owned felt cheap. I personally will never own another resin starwalker, but that of course is personal opinion.

Boheme Line: The Bohemes are very interesting pens for many reasons. There is a great deal of diversity in size and patterns between the pens.
Boheme Ballpoint: A very small pen. I was extremely surprised at how short it was. It's a great pen to hide in your suit jacket pocket, but I personally wouldn't go to it if I had larger pens available.

Boheme Rollerball: A great midsized pen. This is much larger than the ballpoint and pretty comparable in size to a 145 chopin. I really enjoyed owning the two that I owned, but traded them off for another pen I wanted more.

Boheme Fountain: Quality control seems to be a big issue with these. You can minimize issues with it by taking care of them. However, I've seen many cases where the mechanism gets clogged up with ink which makes the pen function poorly. Take care of these, make sure ink doesn't solidify inside the barrel and you'll be happy.

Large Boheme: I've never ownd one but they sure are cool. It's simply a larger version. I don't have any personal size comparisons, but it is significantly larger than the normal sized Boheme. I would estimate it to between the size of a 146 and a 149. These are also pretty rare so if you can get one for a good price I'd snatch it up.

KrazyIvan
April 15th, 2013, 09:30 AM
The MB 146 seems a lot bigger than what I pictured in my mind (have not seen one in RL). Makes me think I could do with a 146 and save some money over a 149.

gwgtaylor
April 15th, 2013, 04:21 PM
146 is a pretty ideal size. 149 seems silly to me. I also find the 144 quite comfortable and I like that it's C/C. Piston fillers irritate me

mmahany
April 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM
146 is a pretty ideal size. 149 seems silly to me. I also find the 144 quite comfortable and I like that it's C/C. Piston fillers irritate me
That's why I like my 147 pens so much. I too like cartridge pens simply because they're more functional and user friendly. You have to appreciate the design of a piston filler, but for everyday use a cartridge filler makes more sense.

The MB 146 seems a lot bigger than what I pictured in my mind (have not seen one in RL). Makes me think I could do with a 146 and save some money over a 149.
I'd say the 146 or the 147 are the two best pens in the Meisterstuck line. Anything smaller and my hand seemed to dwarf the pen. The 149 really is a work of art, but I tend to use my 146/147 variations more often.

john
April 21st, 2013, 07:36 PM
I prefer the 146.

jor412
April 22nd, 2013, 01:21 AM
-114 Mozart- This this is tiny, but surprisingly well built. Has threads on both ends of the barrel for the cap to screw on or post to the barrel when writing. I keep it in a little leather case that holds a small note pad and my business cards.

What an informative post. I know next to nothing about Montblancs and I've seen either a 146 or 149 but I don't know which one. All I know is that it seemed huge to me. How big is the 114 Mozart compared to a Pelikan M400? Or maybe a TWSBI mini? :)

fountainpenkid
April 23rd, 2013, 02:20 PM

What an informative post. I know next to nothing about Montblancs and I've seen either a 146 or 149 but I don't know which one. All I know is that it seemed huge to me. How big is the 114 Mozart compared to a Pelikan M400? Or maybe a TWSBI mini? :)

Here's it with the mini: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z356/bongina/100_1568.jpg

KrazyIvan
April 23rd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Wow, that is really dinky looking.

fountainpenkid
April 23rd, 2013, 04:24 PM
Wow, that is really dinky looking.

You know a pen is tiny when it makes the mini look like a 149 :p

orfew
April 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
The 114 is a very small pen, but is surprisingly perhaps also a very good writer. When posted I find it quite comfortable to write with and I have large hands. I would also agree that the 147 is a great pen. Mine never stays out of rotation for long. Thanks to mmhany for the truly informative post.

tiffanyhenschel
April 24th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Don't count the 149 out until you have tried one, preferably for more than a couple of minutes. For several years I steered clear of them because they seemed like an overpriced status symbol. Then I got a used one for a really good price. That was a little more than a year ago. Now I have four, and other pens seem small.

They are still overpriced if you buy one new, but if you look around, you can find nice ones for less than half of retail.

mmahany
May 6th, 2013, 07:56 AM
The 114 is a very small pen, but is surprisingly perhaps also a very good writer. When posted I find it quite comfortable to write with and I have large hands. I would also agree that the 147 is a great pen. Mine never stays out of rotation for long. Thanks to mmhany for the truly informative post.
Thank you for the kind words. I made the post because I personally had a few surprises when certain pens showed up. My 114, boheme ballpoints, 169 Sketch pencil, and 100th Anniversary FP were all much different in size compared to how I first perceived them in my head.

Also, I completely agree with your comments about the 114 and 147. They both are excellent pens meant for specific situations. I wouldn't put a 114 in a desk stand just like I wouldn't try and put my 147 in a pocket book for taking quick notes.

Don't count the 149 out until you have tried one, preferably for more than a couple of minutes. For several years I steered clear of them because they seemed like an overpriced status symbol. Then I got a used one for a really good price. That was a little more than a year ago. Now I have four, and other pens seem small.

They are still overpriced if you buy one new, but if you look around, you can find nice ones for less than half of retail.

I certainly agree. My 149s provide the most enjoyment to write with. For the price, it's hard to beat the physical presence of the pen, the size of the nib, and how smooth it lays ink onto paper. I consider the 149 to be more of a "100m sprinter" pen, and the 146/147 to be more of a "400m dash" type (if that makes any sort of sense).

tiffanyhenschel
May 6th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I certainly agree. My 149s provide the most enjoyment to write with. For the price, it's hard to beat the physical presence of the pen, the size of the nib, and how smooth it lays ink onto paper. I consider the 149 to be more of a "100m sprinter" pen, and the 146/147 to be more of a "400m dash" type (if that makes any sort of sense).

Yes, it makes complete sense, and that is why it is good that they make their "flagship" pen in a variety of sizes. For me, it is the opposite. If I am going to be writing for a length of time, that is when I especially want a 149. :-) I think it's because despite my best efforts at a good grip, as my writing progresses I tend to pinch the section. The larger diameter of the 149 puts less stress on my hand, making marathon writing sessions more comfortable.

This is just my personal preference, and I realize that I am in the minority here. It's just an alternative viewpoint, and now I'll get down off my soapbox and give you your thread back. :-)

(P.S. I really hope you come to the Dallas show in September. We can compare pens.:))

mmahany
May 6th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Yes, it makes complete sense, and that is why it is good that they make their "flagship" pen in a variety of sizes. For me, it is the opposite. If I am going to be writing for a length of time, that is when I especially want a 149. :-) I think it's because despite my best efforts at a good grip, as my writing progresses I tend to pinch the section. The larger diameter of the 149 puts less stress on my hand, making marathon writing sessions more comfortable.

This is just my personal preference, and I realize that I am in the minority here. It's just an alternative viewpoint, and now I'll get down off my soapbox and give you your thread back. :-)

(P.S. I really hope you come to the Dallas show in September. We can compare pens.:))

It wouldn't be any fun if we all had the same tastes. I completely understand and there are plenty of people like yourself that prefer the 149. Differences in preference are what allow us to have so many options to choose from (otherwise we'd all be writing with a Pilot G2).

Also, don't worry about "my thread" I love discussion and it would be boring if I was the only one posting. I made this thread for everyone to share their own experiences so feel free to post away :)

Mags
May 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM
The Mozart and 149 are my favourites. I really like the Mozart! All metal barrel and the cap screws on and posts at the rear of the pen. I need no more pens....but if I had the funds some of the Mont Blancs like the Thomas Mann would be in my pocket one.day.;)

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

AtomicLeo
June 7th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Do you have any vintage MB pens to compare? I've been searching for a 342 and own a 146. For me the 146 is the prefect size.

mmahany
June 7th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Do you have any vintage MB pens to compare? I've been searching for a 342 and own a 146. For me the 146 is the prefect size.

Not at the moment unfortunately.

I did a bit of research for you and it looks like they're either 122mm or 131mm. The 122mm version has a gold ring slightly above the bottom of the cap. The 131mm version has a gold ring that is at the very base of the cap (if that makes sense).

In comparison:
-The 131mm variation comes out to roughly 5 1/4" long and .433" wide.
-My Montblanc 146 pens are 5.75" long and about .53125" thick
-My Montblanc 144 Stainless Steel Solitaire is 5.375" long and .4375" wide.

So basically, the longer 342 is about the size of a 144 (or slightly smaller). I don't think it's going to come close to comparing in size to your 146.

Here are the links I found that information at:

131mm
http://ulugtekin.com/pen/Ulugtekin%20Montblanc/Recent/Montblanc_342_nearMint/Montblanc_342.htm
122mm
http://ulugtekin.com/pen/Ulugtekin%20Montblanc/Recent/Montblanc%20342/Old%20Kind%20Montblanc%20342.htm

jar
June 7th, 2013, 09:20 AM

The 342 is tiny compared to a 146. In this picture the 342 is second from the right and a 146 is second from the left.

http://www.fototime.com/501681D139C9E4B/large.jpg

AtomicLeo
June 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Ah is that a 24 next to the 342? I bought a 24 from Ebay and it was in horrible shape. Paid $50 to restore the pen but couldn't do much with a cracked section. I still use it once in a while even though it leaks. I LOVE the nib, and it seems that the 342 is smaller than my 24.

jar
June 7th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Ah is that a 24 next to the 342? I bought a 24 from Ebay and it was in horrible shape. Paid $50 to restore the pen but couldn't do much with a cracked section. I still use it once in a while even though it leaks. I LOVE the nib, and it seems that the 342 is smaller than my 24.

The 342 is between a 121 (same size as a 24) and a 264 on the far right.

bluefeathers
June 12th, 2013, 11:34 PM
I know you don't favor the Starwalker resin line, mmahany, but I'm wondering if you could tell me if the section of the fineliner/roller is resin or metal. When I tried it in the Montblanc store the entire pen felt light like resin, but I got one off the bay that looks totally authentic, except for the section, which seems to be metal, and it feels extremely top-heavy (to me,
at least). Don't want to hijack the thread but thought someone could answer it here......Also, on another note, if you have any Starwalker fountain pens you'd like to get off your hands,
consider me interested!

mmahany
June 13th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I know you don't favor the Starwalker resin line, mmahany, but I'm wondering if you could tell me if the section of the fineliner/roller is resin or metal. When I tried it in the Montblanc store the entire pen felt light like resin, but I got one off the bay that looks totally authentic, except for the section, which seems to be metal, and it feels extremely top-heavy (to me,
at least). Don't want to hijack the thread but thought someone could answer it here......Also, on another note, if you have any Starwalker fountain pens you'd like to get off your hands,
consider me interested!
Not a thread jack at all. I’m happy to help in any way I can. I have a lot of experience with the “entry level” Montblanc pens such as the Meisterstuck, Starwalker, and Boheme lines. It’s crazy when a brand’s entry level pens are in the $400-600 range.

The section should be metal on that pen. The Starwalker pens are very heavy compared to the Meisterstuck line. I personally like that. It gives the pen more of a pronounced feel.

Of note: I've owned 8 Montblanc Starwalker pens. Oddly enough, none of them have ever been a fountain pen!

Here is my take on the ones I’ve owned.

Metal and Rubber- These pens are awesome. They’re easy to hold, well made, and they get a lot of compliments. There are a lot of fakes out there. The most obvious sign of a fake is that the lower part of the barrel will be black instead of chrome

Cool Blue- The most aesthetically pleasing pen I own. The color and detail is awesome.

Mystery Black- Very nice looking pen. The design is similar to the military digital camo (only slightly)

My only qualm is with the Starwalker “precious resin” pens. Take this for what it’s worth (strictly opinion):
Montblanc Midnight Black (resin)- I owned a midnight black ballpoint. It felt incredibly cheap. It felt even cheaper than my montblanc meisterstuck 164 ballpoint. The mechanism felt cheap, the resin felt cheap, and the design did not impress me one bit. In my opinion, avoid the Starwalker Resin unless you get a heck of a deal on one. The fineliners are significantly better though.

If you’re worried about the authenticity of the pen, post a few pictures in this thread. I know what all the common fakes look like and I can tell you very quickly if it’s a fake. I never tell people that I can confirm its authenticity because there are some very good fakes out there.
Post a picture of the serial number (it should be on the clip ring not on the clip itself)
Post a picture of the pen fully dissected (unscrew the section from the barrel and post all the pieces)
Post a picture of the pen capped

Between those three pictures myself and others can tell you real quick if it’s a replica.

bluefeathers
June 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Thank you for replying to my post. i'm surprised the section on the resin pen is metal too; I don't know how I mistook it for resin when I tried it! I agree, the metal/rubber Starwalker version is gorgeous. I've always wanted that pen, but thought the resin would be a good everyday pen. Here are some pics I took of the pen. I hope the owner doesn't get upset at me for posting the serial number if I return it...

mmahany
June 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
From the pictures, there is nothing to suggest that it's a fake/replica. Again, I'd have to see it in person to know for sure, but it looks authentic. I would say with 99% certainty that it is authentic.

bluefeathers
June 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thank you for taking the time to look at the photos. It probably is authentic then. I'm still going to return it, since the pen is too top-heavy for comfortable writing, but at least I know what it is.

Cameo
November 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Mmahany, I know I am late to this very helpful post - but I had a question. I received my first MontBlanc last Christmas (163 meisterstuck rb) and since then I have started a small collection. I learned quite a bit by reading some of your posts on the fpn. I purchased a LeGrand ballpoint and recently I purchased what I thought was a 149. This was my first mb fountain pen, although I bought a Parker 51 at a antique store and have been using it for about 3 months to familiarize myself with using a fountain pen. My "149" doesn't say 149 on the cap band and it came with a traveler pen pouch. The size looks about the same as my LeGrand ballpoint. Could you give me some quick comparison facts where I can properly identify my fountain pen? Of course I am open to everyone's help....

Cameo
November 29th, 2013, 04:51 PM

I like mango pudding
November 29th, 2013, 10:31 PM

these links don't work. If you cap band says Meisterstuck and is about the same size as the 163 or your LeGrand bp, you most likely have the 144, or quite possibly the 145 which is slightly thicker in girth. working links or an actual pic would help. I have the 163, 144, 145, 146 and 149 myself, so I can tell you right away which one you have.

kaisnowbird
November 30th, 2013, 12:36 AM
The size looks about the same as my LeGrand ballpoint.

I agree with "I like mango pudding" that this sounds like a 144 or 145.

To insert pictures, you need to use the 'Advanced' reply. For some reason, the quick reply only insert dead links. :(

Cameo
November 30th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the info - sorry about the dead links...740174027403

Cameo
November 30th, 2013, 07:51 AM
This pen is definitely larger than my 163, 164 pens and is just about the exact same size as my LeGrand ballpoint.

I like mango pudding
November 30th, 2013, 11:47 AM
THat's a 147, also known as the Traveler. You can tell immediately from the double cartridge holder. The only MB that has that. Yes, you do have a gen if you are worried. THe leather case is part of the 147 overall package. Some sellers split them up to make more money off each.

This is the one pen I do not have, but am quite familiar with

Cameo
November 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks! I wondered if it might be the 147. I'm happy to have it even though I thought I was buying a 149.

mmahany
December 2nd, 2013, 09:04 AM
I am late to respond, but what others have said is correct.

What you have there is a 147 Le Grand Traveler. It is the largest Meisterstuck cartridge filler.

With the case, they generally sell for about $50-75 less than a 149 in similar condition.

While the 147 is a wonderful pen (I've owned about 5 and currently own 2) I would ask the seller for a partial refund of the difference in "Fair market" prices, or a full refund if you're truly after a 149.

I personally consider the Traveler to be the best "all around" pen in my collection. It writes like a 146, but with the versatility of its smaller 114/144/145 cartridge filled brothers. It is great for traveling or in any situation where I can't take an inkwell with me. The leather case is great for holding extra cartridges which would last almost anyone through several weeks (if not months) of traveling.

Short answer: You got a slightly inferior pen in terms of price, but a pen I personally believe excels in every category and is worth adding to your collection.

Cameo
December 2nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
This has been another learning experience for me. I was targeting a 149 but I am happy to have the 147. I paid $249 for the pen with the case. My current mindset is to sell a couple of my ballpoints and/or rollerball pens to save up for a 149. Thanks for this helpful post and again for the reply!

I like mango pudding
December 2nd, 2013, 07:17 PM
If you are ever interested in selling. . .

orfew
December 2nd, 2013, 09:40 PM
This has been another learning experience for me. I was targeting a 149 but I am happy to have the 147. I paid $249 for the pen with the case. My current mindset is to sell a couple of my ballpoints and/or rollerball pens to save up for a 149. Thanks for this helpful post and again for the reply!

You did well imho. I also have a 147. It is a great pen but does not get the same kind of attention that the 149 and 146 receive. Enjoy your pen.

kaisnowbird
December 3rd, 2013, 05:54 AM

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me! :thumb:

letterpage
June 21st, 2015, 01:22 PM
Can you tell me whether these are real montblancs from the pictures?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/301666833394?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231594213075?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191608175393?nav=SEARCH

jar
June 21st, 2015, 01:51 PM
Can you tell me whether these are real montblancs from the pictures?

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. It is impossible to tell if a Montblanc is authentic from pictures but nothing seems to be out of character and 149s are seldom faked.

letterpage
June 21st, 2015, 06:51 PM
THX! I saw a Boheme on eBay and the seller seemed perplexed when I asked about the warranty card. Are these faked much?

jar
June 21st, 2015, 08:35 PM
THX! I saw a Boheme on eBay and the seller seemed perplexed when I asked about the warranty card. Are these faked much?

Yes. Lots of fakes.

mmahany
June 22nd, 2015, 05:39 AM

Cartridge/converter filled Montblanc pens are very commonly replicated (faked).
In particular:
Meisterstuck 144 and 145
Starwalker (nearly every version)
Boheme (nearly every version)

With that said, I have yet to see a "respectable" fake/replica 146/149 or similar piston-filled Montblanc pen. Of note: I have seen 3 fake/replica 146 pens but they were embarrassingly bad. I'd dare to say that even a new collector could have spotted that they were a fake.

I have heard rumors that there are 149 replicas/fakes in existence. However, I have yet to see anyone post an image of one. There is a great deal of paranoia around fake Montblanc pens (which to an extent is justified). However, there needs to be an understanding that the chances of buying a fake c/c pen are exponentially higher than a fake piston-filler.

letterpage
June 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM
That's great advice. I'm going to focus on the 149. THX!

letterpage
June 22nd, 2015, 07:02 AM
Saw an advertisement for "It just came back from getting serviced at the Montblanc Service Center in the USA. I had them put a vintage "flex" 18C Broad flex nib on a modern Montblanc 149 body." Thoughts?

jar
June 22nd, 2015, 07:16 AM
Saw an advertisement for "It just came back from getting serviced at the Montblanc Service Center in the USA. I had them put a vintage "flex" 18C Broad flex nib on a modern Montblanc 149 body." Thoughts?

Ask for a copy of the Service Order.

letterpage
June 22nd, 2015, 07:45 AM
Will do! Is that tip good...better than standard?

letterpage
June 22nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
Tip= nib. ;-)

jar
June 22nd, 2015, 08:22 AM
Will do! Is that tip good...better than standard?

The early nibs that used the "C" designation instead of the later "K" designation were sometimes nicer in the area of flex, but just being a "C" designation nib tells you little about how it will write.

letterpage
June 22nd, 2015, 10:48 AM
Any downside to C nib?

jar
June 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM
Any downside to C nib?

Nope.

letterpage
June 23rd, 2015, 04:26 AM
The repair invoice says:
WI Resin Service Flat Rate ...$94
Body/Forepart/Inc Feeder/Feeder Case
Cap
Cap Tip
Mech. compl. w. cone
(No charge for all other entries besides flat rate)

Owner is asking $400 for pen. Says is "new" body with old nib. "Good deal!" or "run away!"? ;-) Thoughts?
THX!

jar
June 23rd, 2015, 06:45 AM
The repair invoice says:
WI Resin Service Flat Rate ...$94
Body/Forepart/Inc Feeder/Feeder Case
Cap
Cap Tip
Mech. compl. w. cone
(No charge for all other entries besides flat rate)

Owner is asking $400 for pen. Says is "new" body with old nib. "Good deal!" or "run away!"? ;-) Thoughts?
THX!

Not a ripoff but not a great deal either.

letterpage
June 23rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
Thx! What's a good, but realistic, price for a nice 149? Any difference for 18 versus 14 carat? THX!

jar
June 23rd, 2015, 09:05 AM
Thx! What's a good, but realistic, price for a nice 149? Any difference for 18 versus 14 carat? THX!

I consider 14K nibs to be more desirable than 18K nibs but add nothing either way in pricing. I'd look for a price between $300-350.00 as a great deal.

letterpage
June 23rd, 2015, 10:20 AM
THX! Is 18 too soft, relatively speaking?

jar
June 23rd, 2015, 01:11 PM
THX! Is 18 too soft, relatively speaking?

I find it more malleable than 14 but that's just my opinions. I prefer 9-10 or 12 K for jewelery too.

letterpage
June 25th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Does 4810 M on the nib denote that it is a medium nib?

jar
June 25th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Does 4810 M on the nib denote that it is a medium nib?

No.

It is the height of Mont Blanc in meters and M for Montblanc.

argosafe
July 16th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Many thanks for this. Has helped me a lot already. Just waiting for my 146 to arrive.....

Lawrence1701
March 10th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Sorry if im in the wrong place as I'm new to this App. I just want to express my gratitude for all the excellent info on Montblanc Pen Sizes, I'm a pen collector and I've been looking for this kind of info on Montblancs for several years. Hopefully I'll become more familiar with this App in time and learn how to follow those talking about Pens and in particular my favourites Fountain Pens. So once again many thanks and I hope to read more. Kind regards

jar
March 10th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Sorry if im in the wrong place as I'm new to this App. I just want to express my gratitude for all the excellent info on Montblanc Pen Sizes, I'm a pen collector and I've been looking for this kind of info on Montblancs for several years. Hopefully I'll become more familiar with this App in time and learn how to follow those talking about Pens and in particular my favourites Fountain Pens. So once again many thanks and I hope to read more. Kind regards

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Lawrence1701
March 10th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Many thanks [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyril
November 29th, 2017, 01:44 PM
I have a Starwalker and a " Le grande -146" they are not my favorite writers, as the MB fountain has a medium nib. I am not a fan of medium and I frefer Fine tips.