PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc Generation

ttakacs
June 11th, 2010, 07:44 AM
On ebay the other day I saw a Montblanc Generation. I had never seen this model before. Does anyone know anything about it?

liapuyat
June 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM
My sister has one (bought in 1990), with an M nib. It's a wet writer, and she loves it. It fills with a converter, and is nicely balanced.

Tortoise
July 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I got a used Generation with Fine nib just this week at a great price. It's a remarkably smooth writer, soft nib, and easy to hold despite the narrow barrel. My first Montblanc, & I love it.

orfew
July 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
They are the economy line of Montblancs. In the 90s they came in bright colors. I have 2 rollerballs, one in canary yellow, one in neon orange. They are great pens and can usually be bought used for 125 to 225.

steviebee
September 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I just finally found a long-sought violet/purple Generation (love the colour, have lusted after one for ages)...golly, for an 'economy' line it surely has class way above its pitch, then. Great pens indeed.
Mine writes like the proverbial...it has leapt up my favourites chart to bronze or even silver position. Utterly superb.

jar
September 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
The Generation is the most recent in a line that began in the 60's and continued down to today. The first iteration were the two digit pens introduced in 1959 IIRC. They came in two sizes indicated by the second digit and three levels indicated by the first digit; "1x" was the High End, "2x" the Mid Range and "3x" the Entry Level. In the mid 60s MB went to just one length and a 3 digit model number patterned the same.

http://www.fototime.com/4CF515866A3FB32/xlarge.jpg

In this picture the three on the left are early two digit and the three on right the later the digit models.

After the three digit series MB issued a single model called Classic IIRC and that morphed into the Generation pens.

steviebee
September 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks jar. That would explain it - I love these 60'/70's MBs. Great writers, elegant lookers. I'm building up a small collection of em and I've loved every one whether a 1,2 or 3 series....The Generation certainly seems to write more in common with these models than it does with my 144 cigar (and personally, I'd take the Generation over that).

pajaro
October 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I have a green Generation, medium nib, and it's nice. The red 144s are some of my favorites, and the Generation seems to be much like them in a different shape.

Rsmith
October 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I was given a set fountain and ball point from a German company. The one I have is the third one from the left in the picture. The nib is a broad and does write very wet. Until today I haven't seen them before anywhere on the Internet.