PDA

View Full Version : Parker Zephyr questions

Linkinyeah
May 8th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Received my first Zephyr today and I love the color. Unfortunately the nib is missing the tipping material on one of the tines. Anybody have a replacement they could sell? Or a source to get one?

Also, I want to remove the clip so I can clean it up. How do I get it off? I have tried spinning the cap tassie but it didn't seem to do anything. Any ideas? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170509/a4e927972ef22c20f96833d4a04097ba.jpg32036

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lady Onogaro
May 8th, 2017, 09:44 PM
I don't know about the nib, but I would recommend getting an ultrasonic cleaner and clean the cap in that. Or just soak it overnight. It should come clean.

Farmboy
May 8th, 2017, 10:31 PM
I would avoid soaking the cap

Linkinyeah
May 8th, 2017, 11:37 PM
I don't think this is the correct nib for this pen. So far the gold nibs I have seen say parkette on them.

Linkinyeah
May 9th, 2017, 07:30 PM
Can tipping material be put back onto a nib? That way I could keep this nib.

Pterodactylus
May 10th, 2017, 06:39 AM
Nibs can be retipped.
It depends where you are located to find somebody nearby (at least the same continent)

Here are a few:
Fpnibs.com in Spain offer it for 45 - 50 Euro.
Greg Minuskin mention 60 to 75 Dollar on his website.
In Europe I think Max Schrage also do it but I have no detailed info about that.

I think you have a steel nib, the plating on the front end already came of.
At least it looks like that on the picture.
Just to mention because you wrote "... the gold nibs...."

Linkinyeah
May 10th, 2017, 06:25 PM
The picture does make it look like a steel nib,, but that is because of the lighting and I bumped up the contrast to show the writing on the nib. I don't think I can afford to have the nib retipped. I was hoping someone on the forum would have something similar to sell.

Linkinyeah
May 12th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Bump, I could really use some help finding a nib.

Linkinyeah
May 12th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Danny Fudge says he could grind the other tine down and make a smooth nib. Is there any disadvantages of this? I imagine it will decrease the life of the nib over time?

dfo
May 12th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Danny Fudge says he could grind the other tine down and make a smooth nib. Is there any disadvantages of this? I imagine it will decrease the life of the nib over time?

You hit the nail on the head. There would be increased wear over time, but you might only see it over years of intense use.

Pterodactylus
May 13th, 2017, 10:13 AM
It depends if some iridium alloy is still there on the broken tine.
If not or almost none is present anymore I would not do it.

But how much will this cost?
I can imagine that this will cost not much less than retipping.
Imagine for about 60$ you can have it retipped including the grind and it will be like new, last for lifetimes again.

Linkinyeah
May 13th, 2017, 12:45 PM
There is no tipping left on the other tine. Danny didn't tell me a price, but he is more than fair usually. Having it retipped is more expensive than I think the whole pen is worth. Main Street does have a generic parkette nib, but if only I could find one like what I have or a replacement for cheaper. I guess this is everyone's wish and struggle as well.

Pterodactylus
May 13th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Ok understood.

But writing with the plain (soft) gold will wear down the nib rapidly.