PDA

View Full Version : Parker Duofold Big Red Classic 2016, any review ?

teodormircea
May 18th, 2017, 07:57 AM
Hello all,

I'm targeting the new 2016 Parker Duofold Big Red.

Are there any new owners of the Big Red?
What is the verdict for this pen?

Thank you for your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

now
August 28th, 2017, 08:51 PM
I have not purchased one, but have looked quite a bit. This response is coming from someone who owns two of the 90s Big Red release, that being stated....

The new 2016 'Big Red' just kind of looks a bit, how should we say, awkward. The color and engraving on the pen are wonderful, but there is something that just does not look right and that would be the silver (metal, not silver) clip. It just does not match the red color of the pen. I will say that the one I held felt very solid, but slightly less 'grand' than my 90s Big Red. It is entirely possible that my reaction was entirely psychosomatic, but again this is just my opinion. Also, the new pens do not come in any larger nibs than B, which is just plain boring.

Hope that helps.

grainweevil
August 29th, 2017, 03:46 AM
Also, the new pens do not come in any larger nibs than B, which is just plain boring.

Both Extra Broad and Extra Extra Broad are available, but via the nib exchange program. Which at least here in the UK seems very good.

Anyway... somehow I missed this the first time round, and it's probably a bit late for the OP now, but I do own one. It was greatly reduced in price, and as it's the only modern Parker that's actually made me rather want it, it seemed churlish not to give it a home. I really like the barrel engraving and the black cap and barrel ends, and in fact rather like the palladium trim too. The usual cry is why would you buy this when you can get a vintage one, but you can't get a vintage one with silver-coloured trim (afaik). But I can completely understand why it would strike a discordant note if you were used to the gold trim. The only thing that really disappoints me is Parker's decision to do a single wide "three ring" cap band (across their range, I believe). This is the type of thing third tier pen makers used to pull; it's a cheap move and frankly doesn't look nearly as good as separate cap bands. It's a shame, because the rest of the pen doesn't look or feel cheap. Overall I don't think it disgraces the Big Red name; it's just taking the basic premise out for a walk in a slightly different, palladium plated, direction.