PDA

View Full Version : Field Notes

reprieve
April 18th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Has anyone had success with the paper in Field Notes notebooks recently?

I bought a three-pack of the red Field Notes (http://www.jetpens.com/Field-Notes-Color-Cover-Memo-Book-Red-Blooded-3.5-X-5.5-48-Pages-5-mm-Graph-Pack-of-3/pd/8226) about eight months ago and the paper was absolutely terrible with fountain pens. Every ink feathered badly, and even a dry XF nib didn't help much. It was like writing on newsprint.

I wouldn't even consider them again, but I really love the looks of the new America the Beautiful (http://www.gouletpens.com/Field_Notes_Notebooks_America_the_Beautiful_p/fn-18.htm) notebooks. Has the paper improved at all?

KrazyIvan
April 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
They are not really fountain pen friendly unless you hunt for the right nib/ink combo. They work better with dry inks and finer nibs. Even then, you have some show through on the back of the page. The only one that was fountain pen ink tolerant was the Expedition series (which they just got back in stock). Dry times are long with that series.

The Winter series from a year or two ago was a total let down. It actually repelled fountain pen ink as if the paper was coated with wax.

reprieve
April 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks, KrazyIvan. It's odd that so many fountain pen-focused retailers carry them (e.g., John Mottishaw, Richard Binder, the Goulets, etc.). I expected the paper to be higher quality.

KrazyIvan
April 18th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks, KrazyIvan. It's odd that so many fountain pen-focused retailers carry them (e.g., John Mottishaw, Richard Binder, the Goulets, etc.). I expected the paper to be higher quality.

Yes. When the Goulet's started carrying them I was like, :blink: .

Carole
April 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
FWIW: My experience was similar to the Sith Lord's, but I tried the America the Beautiful lined nb's (for my Davis cover) and, it's like a whole 'nother paper experience.

I read somewhere --maybe on Brad Dowdy's blog? --that the paper may be different for this series, hence better for FP's. Sorry can't locate that link right now. As KI advises, fine nib & dry ink (Scabiosa for me) is working ok with these, so, I'm happy with my A the B books and decal!

Sailor Kenshin
April 18th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Been using Field Notes for uears. For me it's the tan color of the lines and grids. That's why I use the Staples Bagasse paper, too.

woosang
April 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM
America the beautiful has a heavier paper stock so probably worth a try (I haven't opens mine yet)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

manoeuver
April 18th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I use the regular ones. Good not Great. Love the dimensions and aesthetic of the things. At pen shows you see a lot of folks with one sticking out of their pockets.

Bogon07
April 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM
The Northerly Edition - Winter 2011 was a no go for fountain pens it has some type of coating on the paper for printing the dots. Great cover though.

As Carol said, according to Brad when he was talking to Myke Hurley on the PenAddict Podcast, FieldNotes uses different paper and inks on each edition. It is usually noted on the inside back cover with all the technical details.

These days with the prices FieldNotes editions are commanding as collector's items I don't the FP quality of the paper is that important given the number that must just be bought & stored in their plastic for eBay sales.

dowdyism
April 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM
They don't use a different paper on every edition, but some are different. The recent "America Is Beautiful" edition uses 70# soft white, while all of the basic books (including the Red Blooded mentioned by the OP) use 50# white. So, the latest edition uses more dense paper than the norm.

I did some FP ink testing last week and I plan on posting it to the blog soon. I have good luck with EEF nibs on the 50# paper but there is some show-through to the back. You definitely cannot write on the back side of the page. With the new 70# paper, there is actually more feathering because the paper is more absorbent, but less show through because of the thickness. You could actually write on both side of the page.

Sounds like a chart of paper weight/density may be in order for all editions. :O

caleath
April 29th, 2013, 08:05 PM
They don't use a different paper on every edition, but some are different. The recent "America Is Beautiful" edition uses 70# soft white, while all of the basic books (including the Red Blooded mentioned by the OP) use 50# white. So, the latest edition uses more dense paper than the norm.

I did some FP ink testing last week and I plan on posting it to the blog soon. I have good luck with EEF nibs on the 50# paper but there is some show-through to the back. You definitely cannot write on the back side of the page. With the new 70# paper, there is actually more feathering because the paper is more absorbent, but less show through because of the thickness. You could actually write on both side of the page.

Sounds like a chart of paper weight/density may be in order for all editions. :O
Should have known the " King of Fieldnotes" would show up. Hey Brad

bulbboy
April 30th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I use the Moleskin Cahiers for business (salesman). Some of my pens/inks feather in it but over all it does a good job for what I need them to do

reprieve
April 30th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I ended up picking up a pack of the America the Beautiful notebooks because I just liked the design so much. I couldn't help myself! The paper is a good bit better than those red graph paper Field Notes, but fountain pen ink still feathers. I didn't get any bleed-through with a Nakaya broad stub nib and Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, nor with a TWSBI Mini XF nib with Montblanc Violet, but I haven't tested the paper extensively; no bleed-through but a noticeable amount of feathering. I like the old school blue ruling, though, and the covers are just so pretty. I'll try an XF nib and a dry ink, perhaps an iron gall ink. Or else I'll just use them with pencil.

I'm still flummoxed as to why so many fountain pen-centric retailers sell Field Notes (seemingly implying that the paper is high quality/fountain pen-friendly).

Sailor Kenshin
May 6th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I have a gridded tan cover Field Notes to keep track of fountain pen and paper trades. I had to make an entry today, and there was no feathering with a fude nib and some random burgundy inks. No feathering with any ink, in fact, but plenty of show-through. It's a one-side-only deal, and these may be from years ago.

Bogon07
May 7th, 2013, 09:59 PM
I'm still flummoxed as to why so many fountain pen-centric retailers sell Field Notes (seemingly implying that the paper is high quality/fountain pen-friendly).

Here in Australia the fountain pen retailers also sell expensive ballpoint and rollerball pens as well as ballpoints and they also sell Moleskines too so they are covering as many possible retail options as they can. All the major FP makers sell BPs or FPs and even mechanical pencils in sets or separately. A lot of people are given pensets as gifts and many probably don't the the fountainpen in them except for sigining documents or cheques.
Remember not everybody's writing instument of choice is a fountainpen.