PDA

View Full Version : There Is Hope For The Future

writingrav
April 18th, 2013, 08:17 PM

Bogon07
April 18th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I wonder what sort of response they get ?

KrazyIvan
April 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Interesting.

cedargirl
April 19th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Writing by hand is going to become an archaic past-time for the aesthete; a bit like using hand-made split cane fishing rods or listening to vinyl records.
The future is full of touch screens, styluses, digital work surfaces, wearable personal communicators, siri, and kids with tendonitis of the thumbs.

All we can do is enjoy what we enjoy and hope that in our dotage there still will be people around who can read cursive writing.
But we may have to learn how to cut our own quills, make our own paper and mix our own inks. Or maybe just the ink and paper, since our pens will last.
That's why I'm hording pens. I'm doing the world a service! (Did I say "hording"? Strike that out at once! Replace with "responsible collecting".)

jor412
April 19th, 2013, 02:32 AM
My students can still read cursive so not all is lost -- not yet anyway :)

snedwos
April 19th, 2013, 06:55 AM
It does seem like they're teaching writing as opposed to handwriting, though. Still important, all the same.

writingrav
April 19th, 2013, 02:46 PM
It does seem like they're teaching writing as opposed to handwriting, though. Still important, all the same.
Agreed, I checked out their web site and its is geared to various forms of composition. But, as you say, that too is important and I can't imagine they could go through the writing process without handling pencils and pens. It is not a rich kids center. I doubt they have computers for every (or any) kid.

cedargirl
April 20th, 2013, 01:14 AM
My students can still read cursive so not all is lost -- not yet anyway :)

I have a 17 year old son who has never been taught to write in cursive. He prints neatly, when he has too - everything else is computer generated.
This doesn't worry me too much, except when he says he can't read my writing. And I have reasonably neat, readable hand writing.

Barbara
April 20th, 2013, 08:46 AM
That's why I'm hording pens. I'm doing the world a service! (Did I say "hording"? Strike that out at once! Replace with "responsible collecting".)

Yes, hording has such negative connotation. Responsible collecting is to be admired and supported.

KrazyIvan
April 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM
My six year old started writing in "cursive" from looking at mine.

fountainpenkid
April 21st, 2013, 07:32 AM
What's it like inside? I'm interested to see how it works...

whych
April 28th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I have a 17 year old son who has never been taught to write in cursive. He prints neatly, when he has too - everything else is computer generated.
This doesn't worry me too much, except when he says he can't read my writing. And I have reasonably neat, readable hand writing.
So it's not only just in UK that they seem to only be able to print and not write. Most times only in mixed captitals as well.

It's one thing learning to write (as in composition) but they don't seem to teach comprehension any more.

drgoretex
April 28th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I actually wish now that I had learned cursive. I mean, I was taught, but I imagine it was like trying to teach a brick wall to belly dance. I had ZERO interest. Now all of my FP 'writing' is really just printing.

Ken

jbb
April 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I recently found out (through Facebook) that my youngest (in college) has started snail writing to international pen pals. She almost never writes back back to me but some how I've rubbed off on her anyway. I was so proud. I'm bidding on a (very cool & groovy) sealing wax seal on Ebay with her initial on it right now. (Oh, I wonder if she posts here.... I'd be the last to know.)

writingrav
April 28th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I recently found out (through Facebook) that my youngest (in college) has started snail writing to international pen pals. She almost never writes back back to me but some how I've rubbed off on her anyway. I was so proud. I'm bidding on a (very cool & groovy) sealing wax seal on Ebay with her initial on it right now. (Oh, I wonder if she posts here.... I'd be the last to know.)

You should be very proud.