PDA

View Full Version : Too medium for me or Now I've done it!

amaranzano
April 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM
My wife got for me a new TWSBI 580 this week. Compared to my 530, WOW!!! Great improvements. I received this one from Todd at Isellpens.com, great guy to buy from, well I got the Fine point nib. I prefer fine over all others, but this one was kinda toothie. Not wanting to complaint to Todd, who has no fault here I decided to take out the stones, mylar 2000 grit sand paper and the nail smoother and took to it. I had a bit of a bite on the up stroke. Not too bad but enough to make the nib scratch and tear on the paper. It did not bothered me much but it was not what I wanted. I took to it trying to smooth it out and after 15 minutes of shaping and testing and cleaning and back again, I got a nice wet and glass-smooth nib. It is not quite medium but it is a bit thicker than what I like. Lesson learned, buy a EF nib just in case I need to do this again! I was going to buy a replacement F, but Todd is out. Now I am going to look for an alternative, any suggestion?

This nib, I guess I will keep it for a while while I locate an OEM or a nice replacement, I am not much of a puritan when it comes down to it. As a friend told me once on FPR, Apollo was his handle, "...chase the nib not the pen". Maybe I'll pass it along to some who can appreciate a right-foot itallic.