PDA

View Full Version : Bottled ink storage

Spideysgirl
June 12th, 2017, 10:47 AM
I'm beginning to buy bottled inks and need some ideas on storage. I love in a small area and so shelves are needed for other things. Tell me where and how you store your ink.

Jon Szanto
June 12th, 2017, 10:57 AM
In a big box, with the exception of a couple of bottles that are inks in constant use. Store them wherever you like, keeping in mind that moderate temperatures are best and the most important thing is to keep them out of direct sunlight.

naimitsu
June 12th, 2017, 11:38 AM
We have 3 Ikea wall mounted cabinets: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90300650/
I also added these to light up the interior: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/b01d2bcdfi/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_t1_wbtpzbw1far2b

I stack boxes in the back, and have the most often used inks out on display (or those without a box or those with cool bottles)

I'll try to take pictures when I get home.
(https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01D2BCDFI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T1_WbTpzbW1FAR2B)

Chrissy
June 12th, 2017, 12:21 PM
I have colour coded boxes/drawers. I ensure my bottled inks are kept in the coolest parts of the house. I started off with a drawer in my study desk, that quickly became full. I then overflowed into a sitting room unit drawer, and filled that. So the rest of the bottles are in boxes by ink colour. I like strong and quite shallow boxes; some shoe boxes work well, and I keep those under the table in the coolest bedroom. :)

KKay
June 12th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I use an old stereo cabinet with glass doors. I put most of the ink in a plastic box, assorted by brand. I have run out of space now, because my old stereo equipment is still in that cabinet too. It is in a cool area, and no sunlight hits it at all, ever.

carlos.q
June 12th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I store most of my inks in a tool chest:

FredRydr
June 15th, 2017, 04:31 AM
I use a old artist's wooden paintbox.

Fred

Spideysgirl
June 15th, 2017, 05:18 PM

Fred
Fred your storage method just have me an idea. I have a plastic box I bought to store something for another hobby and that hobby didn't work out.It's sitting empty on the shelf. It will be perfect.

KrazyIvan
June 16th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I purchased some MDF boxes at Michaels. They were on clearance and at a significant discount, otherwise I would not have considered them. They have divided compartments and can hold about 9-10 bottles of ink including taller ones like Noodlers. If I remove the division grid, it should be able to hold a bit more. Not bad for $7.

Spideysgirl
June 17th, 2017, 02:32 PM
I purchased some MDF boxes at Michaels. They were on clearance and at a significant discount, otherwise I would not have considered them. They have divided compartments and can hold about 9-10 bottles of ink including taller ones like Noodlers. If I remove the division grid, it should be able to hold a bit more. Not bad for $7.
What does MDF mean?

Jon Szanto
June 17th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Medium-density fibreboard. Google is your friend.

Chrissy
June 17th, 2017, 03:09 PM

Fred
Fred, I love the way you post a picture that silently slips in rare bottles of ink like Sheaffer King's Gold as well as Montblanc Hitchcock and Season's Greetings. :)

That's a nice collection! I also like the way you have color samples inside the top. :)

SIR
June 17th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Fred, I love the way you post a picture that silently slips in rare bottles of ink like Sheaffer King's Gold as well as Montblanc Hitchcock and Season's Greetings. :)

That's a nice collection!

Rare/unobtainable - what's the difference?!
;)

KrazyIvan
June 17th, 2017, 04:22 PM
What does MDF mean?

Thanks Jon. It's also commonly known as particle board.

Wile E Coyote
June 17th, 2017, 07:24 PM

You can obtain a rare ink.

Wile E Coyote
June 17th, 2017, 07:27 PM
What does MDF mean?

Thanks Jon. It's also commonly known as particle board.

You should really try to be friendlier to Google:

MDF is an engineered wood composite that is similar to particle board, but is much denser and stronger than particle board.

stub
June 17th, 2017, 11:32 PM
I am glad we got that particle board shit all sorted. I am not sure how we could go on leaving it like that. </wink>

All Y'all / Youse are really organized. I literally just have bottles on the bookshelf, in a drawer, some in a cardboard box, on top of speaker cabinets, and some on the TV stand ... etc. & co.

But then I thought about it, that is in my bachelor home! In the home I share with my wife my inks are all safely stored in cabinet she never looks in, heh. A few in constant use are on a shelf. It looks like I don't have all that much ink, but ...

Is that "out of sunlight" thing really true? I have heard it both ways on that.

Jon Szanto
June 18th, 2017, 12:38 AM
Is that "out of sunlight" thing really true? I have heard it both ways on that.

Look at it this way: keeping it out of direct sunlight isn't going to hurt it. So, in the immortal words of Harry Callahan: You've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/emotes/cocktail.gif

grainweevil
June 18th, 2017, 02:00 AM
I am glad we got that particle board shit all sorted. I am not sure how we could go on leaving it like that. </wink>

Just to finish it off, as I can tell you're interested, colloquially it's all known as "termite barf".

Once upon a time I could fit all my inks in a tin. Then they were housed in a drawer. After a while I used to lie awake at nights wondering if it was the bottom of the drawer I could hear creaking and groaning under the weight. So now they're taking up an entire shelf of a cupboard, and I lie at wake at night wondering it the cupboard's going to collapse. I'm currently wondering if a box under the bed might be safer - I'm fairly sure the floor's up to it...

SIR
June 18th, 2017, 03:11 AM

Dear Wile E Coyote, I have been a good boy this year, mostly; please help me find an affordable bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Gold...

Wile E Coyote
June 18th, 2017, 05:06 AM

Dear Wile E Coyote, I have been a good boy this year, mostly; please help me find an affordable bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Gold...

I asked Santa, he checked "The List" twice and that's not what it says. Plus, you said nothing about cost when you asked.

FredRydr
June 18th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Fred, I love the way you post a picture that silently slips in rare bottles of ink like Sheaffer King's Gold as well as Montblanc Hitchcock and Season's Greetings.
Seriously, those hardly ever see use, and that's why they're still in there.

Fred

inklord
June 18th, 2017, 09:18 AM
...old shoe boxes; they're free, we all end up with them, and they stack well. Except Akkerman bottles, they go better with the bitters and fancy sauces...

Sailor Kenshin
June 18th, 2017, 09:46 AM
A vintage hutch cabinet, along with my pens. Right out in the open. If I cant see it, it doesn't exist.

SIR
June 18th, 2017, 10:53 AM

I asked Santa, he checked "The List" twice and that's not what it says. Plus, you said nothing about cost when you asked.

Is he even looking at the right list?!
You know, he doesn't exactly have a reputation for getting things right... I guess I still have six months to appeal, if nothing else.

Wile E Coyote
June 18th, 2017, 12:31 PM

Is he even looking at the right list?!
You know, he doesn't exactly have a reputation for getting things right... I guess I still have six months to appeal, if nothing else.

Yep, right there on line 1,551,537,496,031 - SIR - Nice, 291/Naughty, 304.

You're questioning his accuracy isn't going to unweight the naughty column. You better watch yourself the rest of the year.

SIR
June 18th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Of course, you're absolutely right; he is a darling man, so underappreciated - untold pressures and never a 'thankyou'!

So, what's the best price you've seen in recent times for a full bottle of Skrip Gold?

KrazyIvan
June 18th, 2017, 04:10 PM
For storing ink on a shelf, I was looking at those tiered spice racks as a possible addition to my ink storage solutions. I also have a large wooden cigar box full of smaller ink bottles like those of Private Reserve.

Wile E Coyote
June 18th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Of course, you're absolutely right; he is a darling man, so underappreciated - untold pressures and never a 'thankyou'!

So, what's the best price you've seen in recent times for a full bottle of Skrip Gold?

Don't know, I don't have any desire to purchase that ink. Therefore, I haven't researched the current pricing resulting in my ignorance of cost.

Your original query was the difference between rare and unobtainable. An unobtainable ink would not be obtainable at any price. A rare ink may cost much more than you are willing to pay, yet is still obtainable.

Then you wanted me to find you the rare ink at a fair price claiming you had been a "good boy" this year. When I asked Santa he disagreed with your claim. I'm not going to argue with him, I don't want coal in my stocking.

Pentode
June 18th, 2017, 07:29 PM
I keep it in an old, wall mounted cabinet that's about the size of a small bathroom medicine cabinet (which is what it might have started out as).
I used it as a spice rack for years in my kitchen and now it holds ink in my office.

Chrissy
June 19th, 2017, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=stub;211253]

Once upon a time I could fit all my inks in a tin. Then they were housed in a drawer. After a while I used to lie awake at nights wondering if it was the bottom of the drawer I could hear creaking and groaning under the weight. So now they're taking up an entire shelf of a cupboard, and I lie at wake at night wondering it the cupboard's going to collapse. I'm currently wondering if a box under the bed might be safer - I'm fairly sure the floor's up to it...
I would only fully trust it if it's a ground level floor and is made from concrete. ;)

grainweevil
June 19th, 2017, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=stub;211253]

I would only fully trust it if it's a ground level floor and is made from concrete. ;)

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to move the bed just to ensure that, is it? For the safety of the ink. :D

Chrissy
June 19th, 2017, 07:42 AM
[QUOTE=stub;211253]

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to move the bed just to ensure that, is it? For the safety of the ink. :D
Absolutely not. ;)