PDA

View Full Version : I bought a Sheaffer Legacy 1 with TD filler....Observations

Chrissy
June 12th, 2017, 01:04 PM
I bought a Silver Interrupted Barleycorn with gold plated trim Sheaffer Legacy 1 with factory stub nib. It was new old stock, and looked like it when I opened the box. It even had it's original gold price tag on it! I was very happy to see it. :)

This touchdown filling system is new to me so I thought I would make some observations on it. The booklet says to unscrew then pull out the plunger tube, put the nib into the ink, then press it down and pull it up again, then press it down quickly and hold it in the ink for 10 seconds.

I tried this, and found that the ink fill started to run out after a couple of pages of writing. Yes, it's a broad Stub nib, and it uses much more ink than say a Fine nib would, but I wasn't overly impressed with the ink capacity. I'm in Florida at the moment, but never come here without my trusty syringe, so I tried the effect of following the instructions for the TD filler, and pumping more than the number of times it suggested. I always ended by pushing the plunger down quickly, and leaving the nib submerged in ink for at least 10 seconds.

After doing this I then unscrewed the pen and removed the TD converter and tried the effect of adding more ink using my syringe. I expected more ink to go in than actually does and find that I can't add much more ink to the converter. My conclusion is that the TD filler is working quite effectively, and is filling with a reasonable amount of ink.

I'm assuming now that the TD converter doesn't hold very much ink. Maybe less than a cartridge holds? I have a couple of Sheaffer press bar converters with the red base, and I have read that these can be used in exactly the same way as the TD converters, as they contain pli-glass sacs, and are the same as the gold tube TD converters. My guess is that they will hold about the same amount of ink though, not more.

When I get home I will carefully try out a twist action Sheaffer converter in there. Whether it will fit inside the plunger tube I don't know yet. But either it will or it won't. I will be careful and see it it works. Edit to add: a twist action converter is too long to fit inside while the TD filler is in there.

It's a fabulous pen, but I just wish it held a bit more ink. :)

Sorry but the picture is poor because I only have a long lens for my camera. :(

stub
June 12th, 2017, 09:15 PM
I just syringe filled my Legacy 1 TD filler to see. I get just shy of 1ml in mine. about .9
Not an exact measurement.

I just used the ML lines on the side of my syringe and watched till came up to the top and then tested to see if it overflowed by continuing with the syringe. .9 was about what I could get in there.

Just activating the TD gave me about .6 or so (just an estimate not a measure).

FredRydr
June 13th, 2017, 04:27 AM
Thanks to both of you for testing and posting the capacity of the Touchdown filler. Alas, in my hands, the theoretical maximum of the TD filler is never reached. I always use the squeeze filler, instead.

Fred

Farmboy
June 13th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Touchdown and Snorkel pens do not hold much ink.

I have never seen a TD filled pen that would also accept a converter or a cartridge. I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

RocketRyan
June 13th, 2017, 06:12 AM
I think we would all enjoy some pictures :)

FredRydr
June 13th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Chrissy,

I did a bit of online research to find comparison of the dimensions of the TD filler unit with Sheaffer's piston-type converter. Have a look: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/191895-legacy-heritage-polished-copper-fp/

The pneumatic TD mechanism leaves no room for the converter. You might have to find one of those mini converters, like the ones used in Kaweco Sport pens, but that leaves the issue of compatibility where the converter meets the section.

Fred

stub
June 13th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Yeah the piston doesn't fit. Only the squeezies fit (they are the same size and dimentions at the included TD filler, which is essentially a squeeze converter w/o the slot and bar).

I have often wondered if you trimmed down the piston converter knob or used one of the wierd converters for the Intrigue if that would work.

But for max capacity you probably are not going to beat the syringe filled cart which gets you close to a full 1 ML.

Brilliant Bill
June 13th, 2017, 08:10 AM
That's what I use. Simplest and most effective solution.

But for max capacity you probably are not going to beat the syringe filled cart which gets you close to a full 1 ML.

stub
June 13th, 2017, 08:31 AM
That's what I use. Simplest and most effective solution.

Though for the record I still use the TD filler (still works great --for now) and have been happy with that. When it poops the bed I'll just swap in the squeeze converter. Nowadays I carry enough pens that I am okay with whatever the TD filler is giving me but I am not sure how much longer it will work this well. Folks seem not to bother restoring the TD filler and just move to the converter but Legacy came from Mottishaw and worked great out of the box.

Sailor Kenshin
June 13th, 2017, 12:27 PM
Chrissy, I think I have the same pen, different nib (B) and finish (brushed goldtone). (Even HAD to buy an extra section, F).

It has that semi-touchdown filler, but also uses carts. And most of the time, when I write with this pen, I do use carts. They are easier to install and clean (yup, I re-use them) and they do hold more ink, plus you can easily see how much ink is left.

But I have to admit the good TD filler mechanism looks cool.

Chrissy
June 13th, 2017, 02:28 PM
Touchdown and Snorkel pens do not hold much ink.

I have never seen a TD filled pen that would also accept a converter or a cartridge. I'd be interested in seeing a picture.

The Legacy pens definitely take the converter with the press bar or a Sheaffer cartridge. It says so in the instructions. Ron Zorn has asked Sheaffer about the difference between the TD filler unit and the red base converter. He was advised that the only difference was the outer metal casing, and he was advised that either can be used and will both work exactly the same with the TD filler. I checked this information out before buying mine.

The thing is that the red base converter/TD converter just don't hold much ink.

I will post pictures. Soon :)

Chrissy
June 13th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Chrissy,

I did a bit of online research to find comparison of the dimensions of the TD filler unit with Sheaffer's piston-type converter. Have a look: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/191895-legacy-heritage-polished-copper-fp/

The pneumatic TD mechanism leaves no room for the converter. You might have to find one of those mini converters, like the ones used in Kaweco Sport pens, but that leaves the issue of compatibility where the converter meets the section.

Fred

Darn it. That's a nuisance. I guessed the twist action converter might be too long. I might have to consider refilling cartridges then for the biggest ink fill

stub
June 13th, 2017, 09:47 PM
I just syringe tested the cartrirdge and got just about 1ml which was more than i could syringe into the piston converter.

All totally unscientific and when i do these there is likely some water in the syringe tip that I am not counting. It makes me wonder what the more exact proceedure would be but it seems clear that the Cartridge holds the most, the squeeze and TD the second most and the piston holds a little less than that? I don't have the old button one.

Chrissy
June 14th, 2017, 12:44 PM
Yeah the piston doesn't fit. Only the squeezies fit (they are the same size and dimentions at the included TD filler, which is essentially a squeeze converter w/o the slot and bar).

I have often wondered if you trimmed down the piston converter knob or used one of the wierd converters for the Intrigue if that would work.

Yes I think that's a good plan. :)

Chrissy
June 14th, 2017, 01:22 PM
I've now added some pictures to my original post to show the pen with it's TD filler and a Sheaffer red base converter fitted. :)

stub
June 15th, 2017, 02:42 AM
Amazing nib and amazing pen overal. I wanted one of those. I like the patern and those patina very nicely. I am envious. What a pen!

Chrissy
June 15th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Amazing nib and amazing pen overal. I wanted one of those. I like the patern and those patina very nicely. I am envious. What a pen!

Thank you. :)

I first saw one years ago on eBay.uk. At the time I thought it went at a price that was too high for me, but when I never saw another I regretted not buying it. Then before I came to the US, I saw this one on eBay.com, and messaged the seller to ask if there was any room for negotiation on the price. Lo and behold he had his own web-site and makes pens, so he sent me his web-site details and we went from there.

I'm very pleased with it, but the juicy stub nib uses a lot of ink from a pen that doesn't hold a large capacity. I can forgive it that though. :) I'm happy enough to keep refilling it. :roll:

grainweevil
June 15th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Rather splendiferous indeed. Being woefully ignorant of them, and Sheaffers generally really, is it heavy?

As for ink capacity, is it only me who finds that pens may be woeful when you want to write with them, but it transpires that they actually hold several gallons of ink when you come to clean them...?

Chrissy
June 15th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Rather splendiferous indeed. Being woefully ignorant of them, and Sheaffers generally really, is it heavy?

As for ink capacity, is it only me who finds that pens may be woeful when you want to write with them, but it transpires that they actually hold several gallons of ink when you come to clean them...?
No it's not particularly heavy, and is actually quite a stubbish pen in the hand without it's cap posted. I suppose it's like most silver pens.

Yes, it seemed to run out of ink to write with, but seemed to have loads left when I cleaned it out. I had to buy an ear bulb from Amazon as I didn't bring my one with me. It still took ages even with that. :(

Lady Onogaro
June 15th, 2017, 07:00 PM
It's incredibly pretty. I'm sure it's fun to use just to see it in your own hand.

pajaro
June 15th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Beautiful pen.

grainweevil
June 16th, 2017, 03:02 AM

No it's not particularly heavy, and is actually quite a stubbish pen in the hand without it's cap posted. I suppose it's like most silver pens.

Yes, it seemed to run out of ink to write with, but seemed to have loads left when I cleaned it out. I had to buy an ear bulb from Amazon as I didn't bring my one with me. It still took ages even with that. :(

Yeah, it looks quite chunky, which is I suppose why I wondered about the weight. Which is daft, because the heaviest Sheaffer I've ever tried is an Intensity, and that's a skinny beast.

And really, fancy travelling without an ear bulb. What kind of FP user are you?!:pound:

RocketRyan
June 16th, 2017, 05:47 AM
Sounds like it doesn't hold quite as much ink as the PFM.

KrazyIvan
June 16th, 2017, 09:08 AM
I seriously considered one of these but read about the issues with filling the pen. I ended up getting the modern Legacy Heritage instead. Not as prestigious of a choice but it works fine with the regular screw converter and has that look I was after.

RocketRyan
June 16th, 2017, 09:55 AM
I have an imperial sovereign which is c/c , it does make cleaning easier. It also has a huge nib and gets through a lot of Ink.

Bold2013
June 17th, 2017, 06:26 AM
Nice pen. Perhaps a writing sample...

Chrissy
June 17th, 2017, 02:14 PM

Yeah, it looks quite chunky, which is I suppose why I wondered about the weight. Which is daft, because the heaviest Sheaffer I've ever tried is an Intensity, and that's a skinny beast.

And really, fancy travelling without an ear bulb. What kind of FP user are you?!:pound:
It is quite chunky really, but not as fat as I thought it would be when I heard it was modelled on the PFM, and I'm no man! :)
I bring with me my pen filling syringe, my nib smoothing board, my loupe, empty ink sample vials, one ink sample vial filled with pen flush, pens, a pen case to safely bring home the pen(s) I buy here, writing paper and home-made envelopes. I can see I'm going to have to add ear bulb to my list. Soon I'll need an extra suitcase for my pen related stuff. Actually.....maybe I already have one. :)

Chrissy
June 17th, 2017, 02:30 PM

Hi Bold2013, Here's one for you. Sorry it was a quick note.

KrazyIvan
June 17th, 2017, 04:28 PM

Hi Bold2013, Here's one for you. Sorry it was a quick note.

Have you tried reverse writing with it? I don't usually do that but I recently acquired a Sheaffer Snorkel Crest with a Triumph B nib. I was considering having it ground to a stub. On a whim, I did some reverse writing and was blown away.
https://scontent-dft4-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/16583628_420064158342580_3152632310252175360_n.jpg
https://scontent-dft4-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/16464062_1726727870952392_5453583510629515264_n.jp g

Chrissy
June 18th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Have you tried reverse writing with it? I don't usually do that but I recently acquired a Sheaffer Snorkel Crest with a Triumph B nib. I was considering having it ground to a stub. On a whim, I did some reverse writing and was blown away.
No I didn't try that. It looks nice with your Snorkel Crest though. :)

stub
June 18th, 2017, 12:05 PM
That snorkel is a BEAST

Flounder
June 21st, 2017, 02:07 PM
Hmm Chrissy is that a split and perished O ring where the section meets the barrel?

Chrissy
June 24th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Hmm Chrissy is that a split and perished O ring where the section meets the barrel?
No. It's a whole rubbery one that is correct for Legacy V1 I believe. :)

In fact the barrel only just fits over it.

Chrissy
June 24th, 2017, 06:33 AM
I need a drier ink for this nib. The inks I have tried in it so far have been too wet. Any ideas?

stub
June 24th, 2017, 07:16 AM
I need a drier ink for this nib. The inks I have tried in it so far have been too wet. Any ideas?

Pelikan 4001 series

Kyo no oto #3 Kokeiro is bone dry

Parker Twink (yawn)

Platinum Blue Black or some other IG ink?

?

Chrissy
June 24th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Pelikan 4001 series

Kyo no oto #3 Kokeiro is bone dry

Parker Twink (yawn)

Platinum Blue Black or some other IG ink?

?
Thanks. :) I would never use an ink containing gall in any of my pens. So it looks like I will try a Pelikan ink next time I fill it. :)

stub
June 24th, 2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks. :) I would never use an ink containing gall in any of my pens. So it looks like I will try a Pelikan ink next time I fill it. :)

ah, sorry I didn't know you were a non-IG person.

Some MB inks, while lubricated are a little dry or reluctant in flow. But all my dryest inks are IG inks, Pelikan and the Parker.

My Legacy I is a little wet too, I have been okay with Pilot Blue, MB Royal Blue and Toffee Brown in there.

Chrissy
June 24th, 2017, 11:22 AM
My Legacy I is a little wet too, I have been okay with Pilot Blue, MB Royal Blue and Toffee Brown in there.
Oh thanks. I have both of those Montblanc inks so I can try them. :)

KrazyIvan
June 26th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I use Waterman Florida Blue (Serenity Blue?) in my Snorkel. It's just wet enough to flow freely but dry enough I don't need blotter paper on Rhodia pads.

Chrissy
June 26th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I use Waterman Florida Blue (Serenity Blue?) in my Snorkel. It's just wet enough to flow freely but dry enough I don't need blotter paper on Rhodia pads.
Thank you. I have that one too. :thumb:

In fact it's one of the inks I usually use to test pens with. However, I didn't have it with me when I bought the pen. :(

Chrissy
October 1st, 2017, 03:04 PM
As an update, I've sort of settled on L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Equinox No.6 as my favourite ink in this pen. In fact, since I first filled it with that ink, I haven't used a different one. You know how it is when one particular ink seems to go really well with a pen? It's like that with this combination. :)

stub
October 3rd, 2017, 06:13 AM
You know how it is when one particular ink seems to go really well with a pen?

That really resonates with me. I actually sort of keep track of that in my notebooks.

However, I never match ink color to pen color. (all inks match all pens).

I match according to flow and nib type. But I love when you find the perfect match.

My legacy I is a little wet. It likes MB inks, & Diamine Blue Velvet or Regency Blue, but was too easy flowing for say, Auroa Black or Visconti Blue or Diamine Midnight.

MarieBM
November 12th, 2020, 07:47 AM
its a beautiful pen, pics look great too. I'm on the lookout for one after promising myself my last splurge of buying vintage pens was my last haha!! it anyone has any tips for what to look for on these i would be very grateful :-)