PDA

View Full Version : Parker 45 ink flow problem

newkid
June 12th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Recently, I purchased two Parker 45's, one grey and one green both with medium nibs. Upon receipt of the pens I tested both by dipping the nibs into ink. Both wrote well. The green pen is NOS but came without a converter. I inserted a Parker Quink cartridge in the green pen and stored the pen with the nib down for about 30 minutes. I could not get the ink to flow to the nib. Next, I tried a nib/feed from another 45 but ink would not flow. Then I soaked the section and nib/feed for a couple of hours and I cleaned the ink channels in the feed. Tried once again to write using a fresh cartridge but ink would not flow. Next, I put the cartridge and nib/feed from the green pen into the grey pen and they worked perfectly. Then I put the converter and nib/feed from the grey pen into the green pen and the ink would not flow. I'm out of ideas. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas to resolve this problem.

Thanks,
NK

PaulS
June 12th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Hi - an obvious first thought might be that the cartridge piercing tube in the green pen is blocked in some way, and cleaning the ink channels in the feed wouldn't remedy this problem, assuming that was the reason for lack of flow. Try flushing the section using the bulb method, at least this will tell you if fluid is getting through.
I seem to remember some chat about problems with cartridges where by the viscosity or whatever was preventing ink flow - converters with moveable steel balls apparently cure this problem - although you seem to have used a converter on the green pen, so presumably this not the issue.

Lady Onogaro
June 12th, 2017, 04:00 PM
I've had trouble with some of the cartridges myself, and have mostly given up on them in favor of the old converters.

PaulS
June 12th, 2017, 04:03 PM
I should have suggested that having unscrewed the nib unit, you should then be able to see daylight through the empty section - at least this will give instant confirmation as to my thoughts on piercing tube blockage, or not.

newkid
June 12th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Hello PaulS,

I believe the piercing tube is the tail end of the feed. You are correct, daylight can be seen through the section when the nib unit/feed is removed.

stub
June 12th, 2017, 09:05 PM
Yes to the above and you might have better luck with Aurora carts (same as Parker).

Quink is terrible and I do find that it take a long time to saturate the feed and settle in with Parker Quink. Quink is very viscous and has lots of surface tension.

I have filled a pen with TWINK and left it in frustration only to find it writes just fine the next day. But since you are having woes, to get going I would go with an easier flowing ink to start.

& also the non-NOS pen might need to be soaked overnight. Those sections can be stubborn with old ink.

Lady Onogaro
June 12th, 2017, 10:35 PM
I agree with stub about stubborn ink. I usually run the feed through an ultrasonic cleaner, though I know some people may not like to use them.

stub
June 13th, 2017, 02:45 AM
I agree with stub about stubborn ink. I usually run the feed through an ultrasonic cleaner, though I know some people may not like to use them.

Some pens are problematic in the ultrasonic but the Parker 45 is not one of those. If I had one I would use it. The section has a kind of collector in there that can be a bear to clean the first time with died up ink.

newkid
June 16th, 2017, 04:12 PM
My thanks to everyone that responded to my question about Parker 45s and Parker cartridges. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I have come to the conclusion the problem lies with the cartridges. I have ordered a Parker converter and that should resolve the problem.

Thanks,
NK