PDA

View Full Version : Have I just ordered a fake Brown Safari?

sbeqs
June 14th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I've just ordered a brown Safari from a seller in US$ but coming from China.
I was telling a colleague about it and showed them a google image.
Only then did I notice a whole slew of 'fake brown safari' links.
What are the odds of me acquiring a genuine article?
NB: no teddy faces included.

Lady Onogaro
June 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM
I just assume that any Safari that comes from China is a fake. I don't even buy them off of ebay anymore.

The Teddy Bear ones (with or without bears) would come from Korea.

kevmid
June 14th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Always better to buy off a reputable seller at any level of pen I think.
Pens from eBay can vary massively in quality, unless you know who the reputable sellers are. The photo does not always represent the actual object you buy and if it is cheaper than the market price - whatever that is, and it comes from China, then quite likely it is a fake. When you get it maybe check it against good close up photos of the genuine article.

christof
June 14th, 2017, 10:05 PM
I probably bought from the same seller.
The pen arrived this week and was indeed a fake, well made but clearly a fake.
After a couple of messages over ebay I got my money back and the pen goes back to China.
C.

stub
June 15th, 2017, 03:02 AM
But to add to the complications: I live in Korea and bought the Line X Safari pens retail several times by waiting on the que on the day they were released. One of the line stores is locad at Lotte Young Plaza RIGHT where hundreds of tour busses filled with Chinese tourists stop. When I was in the store I was told the whole reason they limited it to 3 per customer was that folks were loading up to sell them and some of the Chinese tourists were buying them to bring back home. Here I am not blaming or shaming at all, my point merely is that it is entirely possible that the pen you are getting is genuine. Not likely but possible. I can tell you that even regular issue Safari are NOT cheap in Korea about $65 so if you are getting it cheap that would represent a loss, and would be a good indicator that it is fake.

Funny I still have a bunch of these. I gave a few out as gifts. Perhaps because of the fake ones, and the wierd below cost mafia whatever Korea ones (someone powerful found out about these and were selling them for $75 shipped on ebay, which again would be a loss if you paid retail) I couldn't sell them. I waited on line a few times and have a shelf full of them. The first run was too small and sold out before I even got to the register. That created a crazy demand for them, when they re-released them they did so in greater numbers and also then added the Rabbit and Bird, which i think were not as popular as they were white and yellow, wheras the brown is a nice matte brown that is unique to that pen.

sbeqs
June 15th, 2017, 12:19 PM
I think I will have to wait until it arrives and decide whether it is worth keeping a nice brown fake [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chrissy
June 15th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I would wait and see and check it out carefully when it arrives. You can always file an eBay claim if it's a fake, and you will get your money back. :)

I didn't think eBay requested that fakes be shipped back, because if they are they can just be resold. However, you shouldn't have to pay for return shipping to China. The seller will have to supply you with a return label.

christof
June 16th, 2017, 03:50 PM
You're absolutely right Chrissy. I did not have to pay for return shipping, but I didn't wanted to keep the pen.
C

sbeqs
June 17th, 2017, 05:02 AM
It's going to be weeks before it gets here, then if (as there seems to be little doubt) it is fake and I request a return the seller is likely to take weeks to send the return label. So this could drag on for months...
Lesson well and truly learned.

sbeqs
June 21st, 2017, 10:34 AM
Well it came. It's definitely fake. Doesn't say BROWN on the cap. If I can add photos from my phone I will do.

sbeqs
June 21st, 2017, 10:35 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/f34cbdc5f4029b2e22c701f27ea13a68.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/0f9347467f235889e3292feb29cd1e14.jpg

sbeqs
June 21st, 2017, 10:36 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/ff82bc8ac7e37e3fcd8a33df198a28bb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/d99a81e20ef2e5e2b7b47b34cf743098.jpg

stub
June 21st, 2017, 10:58 AM
hella fake. wrong box and everything. Sorry dude. Can you sent it back?

stub
June 21st, 2017, 11:01 AM
Legit ones should come in boxes that look thusly:

sbeqs
June 21st, 2017, 11:29 AM
hella fake. wrong box and everything. Sorry dude. Can you sent it back?

I'm going to try.

sbeqs
June 21st, 2017, 11:29 AM
Legit ones should come in boxes that look thusly:

Maaaan, don't make me jealous, lol.

Tarbyonline
August 22nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/ff82bc8ac7e37e3fcd8a33df198a28bb.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170621/d99a81e20ef2e5e2b7b47b34cf743098.jpg

Same as the dark-lilac I ordered on eBay from Singapore. But I was 99% certain it was a fake when I ordered it, I'm the type of weirdo that deliberately buys cheap pens (including these knock offs) to see if they are any good. The F nib on mine is better than the actual Lamy F nib I have on one of my genuine safari's 😂

sbeqs
August 23rd, 2017, 03:39 AM
Well this one caused a blue-green stain all over both hands as the ink seeped out.

Tarbyonline
August 24th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Well this one caused a blue-green stain all over both hands as the ink seeped out.
Not good! So far I haven't had any leaks from my fake. Currently it's filled with Diamine Chocolate Brown (because I hadn't inked anything with it until now and don't own a brown pen). I thought the plastic was a bit cheap, but comparing it with my genuine Matt charcoal safari it is of similar quality, and the Lamy logo is even the exact same size. The rounded "Germany" text at the end is better aligned than the real thing! Nib definitely seems to have more flex than a genuine Lamy nib, and for a F I'd say it's quite a wet writer and the colour of the nib isn't quite silver or black. I have a genuine dark lilac on the way, so it will be interesting to compare them alongside each other. The converter is also a pretty good copy, the red is a slightly different shade but the Lamy type is the same size and style. The Germany text is ever so slightly smaller, but if you didn't have the genuine thing beside you'd be hard pushed to tell it was a fake. It's quite scary that the fakes are getting so good though, even more reason only to buy from trusted retailers! I wonder how many different factories are knocking out Safari copies now!?

Cyril
September 21st, 2018, 02:12 PM
I bought 3 pens Safari they all came from Hong Kong. :confused: it is too late to find the truth :angry: I gave them up all hopes.:cry:

stub
September 21st, 2018, 09:20 PM
I bought 3 pens Safari they all came from Hong Kong. :confused: it is too late to find the truth :angry: I gave them up all hopes.:cry:

Weird. I have all three. A couple of each I think. Still sealed. 100000% legit (bought them myself at the LINE store in Korea). And I could not sell them. Couldn't give them away. They sit on my shelf.

Yet to save a few bucks every month or so, here and on other fora someone posts a fake they get ripoff on.

One tip: If they don't come from Korea. They are alreay likely not real. I say likely because when I was on line at the LINE store there were several Chinese tourists who were also on line to buy them (the tour busses are coincidently right by the Lotte Store where the LINE shop is) so presumably some real ones exist in China but those folks on line with me looked like they were buying them for themselves not to sell.

Chrissy
September 21st, 2018, 11:54 PM
I remember seeing the brown version on ebay for a while and was almost tempted to buy one for myself, but the selling price went too high. It is only a Safari after all. :(
I can see why some might buy a made in China version rather than pay the inflated prices that I saw on ebay. :(