PDA

View Full Version : Demetri Martin's Really Cool New Pen

Carole
April 22nd, 2013, 01:09 AM
Comedian / Artist Demetri Martin appeared at the LA Times Festival of Books today to promote his new book of drawings, but the highlight of his act was when he revealed that he's a Pen Geek. Sort of. He talked about the new nibs, papers, and inks he bought when he began working on the project.

He didn't buy just a regular pen, he said, but "a really fancy pen to do the drawings. And I bought like 40 different little nibs, lots of special ink and all different kinds of paper. That took me probably two or three weeks, I spent $500 to $600.... and it turns out, I was just procrastinating. ... The drawings didn't look any different after all that. It was just an expensive way to waste some time."

The link to the LA Times article is below, but clearly it wasn't written by a pen fan, so I'm sorry I didn't make it to the Festival this year. I would have wanted to get the real story. Because obviously we want to know, which pen, which nibs, what were the inks, where did you shop, and how dare you say it was all a waste of time?

It looks like his comedy book tour is over now, but I wanted to post this anyway in case anyone knows him, or sees him at a comedy club, or runs into him at an airport. I think he needs to explain himself to all of us, or better yet, he should have the guts to show up on a Geeks podcast and face the music in person. :cool:

"Point Your Face At This" is Martin's new book of drawings.
http://www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-demetri-martin-20130421,0,7606788.story

Bogon07
April 22nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
You can have a peek inside "Point Your Face At This" at the Amazon site
http://www.amazon.com/Point-Your-Face-This-Drawings/dp/1455512052

Looks like he bought mostly black ink.

Carole
April 22nd, 2013, 11:44 PM
Bogon07 : Looks like he bought mostly black ink.

Lol! And that's a perfect example of the kind of comedy he does, too. I think. Have never seen his act, but I like the guys he says he's inspired by, Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg. Maybe next time Demetri gets to Australia, you can have a pen geek chat with him. And get it on video for the rest of us.

Would you go to one of his shows? It would be funny if he passed around copies of this book and then told everybody to just read silently to themselves. Maybe.