PDA

View Full Version : Pen for fancy inks

Empty_of_Clouds
June 16th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Hey folks, need some advice/direction.

I've got a few bottles of ink that have the particles in them. They are all Herbin. However, I have never used any of them as I don't think I have a suitable pen. The only wide nib on a fountain pen I have is a Jowo italic on a Ranga pen, but that nib is quite conservative in its ink flow characteristic.

So, I wonder if I should be looking for something broad/wide and wet, but don't know what to go for. I do not want to spend a fortune either.

Suggestions would be welcome. Would a stub be better than a broad nib, for example.

Also, half of my few remaining pens are vintage (2 with sacs and two piston fillers) and I do not know if these inks are safe to use in them. I say this as I have heard, but have no experience (obviously), that there are some very juicy vintage nibs out there if one knows the right people (which kind of counts me out I suppose).

Really, really struggling with pens this year. Sold the Kullock 51 and now for the first time have no 51s in my very small collection.

Beyond that I have lost the nerve and/or confidence in buying anything vintage.

Paddler
June 16th, 2017, 06:29 AM
For inks with particles in them, my first choice would be dip pens. The nibs are cheap and widely available. Some will write several lines on a single dip. Some holders have feeds like fountain pens. If they get gummed up, you can disassemble them and clean the parts. These will write a half page or more on a single dip. As a last resort, I would choose a fountain pen that has a straight feed channel. When the channel gets plugged, you can run a fine wire through it.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 16th, 2017, 06:35 AM
The problem with using dip pens is that the particles will settle in the bottle between dips. To get the expected effects I would have to cap the bottle and shake it every few words or lines. Not terribly practical.

Which pens have straight feed channels (whatever that means)?

Edit: Perhaps it would be simpler to ask what other people have found to be good pens for use with these inks.

sgtstretch
June 16th, 2017, 06:45 AM
I use a TWSBI 580 M, that I've cut the feed on to be a bit wider. The pen is a fantastically wet writer now, and I haven't had any issues with the particles clogging the feed. I only use this pen with those inks as I can easily disassemble it to clean if I need to. Plus being a demo, I can see if the ink is well mixed when I pick it up to use it.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 16th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Okay, thanks for that suggestion.

I've had a 580 in hand and unfortunately it is too short for me to use un-posted. And it doesn't really post well either.

KrazyIvan
June 16th, 2017, 09:04 AM
I only have one ink with gold particles in it. As a personal rule, I only use the ink in a pen that I can confidently dismantle for cleaning.

SIR
June 16th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Ackerman pump pen;
can use a variety of nibs, can be safely used with all inks including india, particled, and even acrylic paint.

https://ackermanpens.com/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0765/8393/files/mg_pp_fp_nb_1024x1024.png?v=1493345162

Pterodactylus
June 16th, 2017, 10:52 AM
I would not be too concerned about using that inks in your pens.
I already used them in vintage pens (sac and piston) and it worked just fine.
You might see some glitter particles after flushing them on the feed but nothing to really think about.

As said broad pens with generous flow work best.

I can recommend the Pilot Parallel pens, they work great with almost every liquid fluid and harmonize with the glitter inks very well.

They are not expensive and give you an awesome line quality.
There is a reason why many calligraphers also use them.

If you don't already have them I would say you will never regret to pick up a pack with all available sizes.

Donˋt forget to order also Con-50 converters for them (they come with cartridges and a cleaning converter which should only be used for cleaning purposes)

Sailor Kenshin
June 16th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I have samples and have made my own versions of glitter inks. I only use certain very inexpensive, very wet, broad-writing c/c pens with these inks, and these are fenced off from all other inks and pens.

Bold2013
June 16th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Noodlers neponset with its enlarged multifeed channels, pump filler (or the huge Noodlers 308 catridge) and a well heat seated #6 broad nib or 1.1mm stub. This suggestion has at least been calling to me...

Paddler
June 16th, 2017, 03:12 PM
The problem with using dip pens is that the particles will settle in the bottle between dips. To get the expected effects I would have to cap the bottle and shake it every few words or lines. Not terribly practical.

Edit: Perhaps it would be simpler to ask what other people have found to be good pens for use with these inks.

I don't know what pens you have and what their design characteristics are. If the particles settle as fast as you say, I wouldn't waste any of my pens on the ink. The feed system in a Sheaffer Snorkel has passages at right angles to each other. You would have a major project on hand to unplug one of those.

The same goes for the Sheaffer TipDip. There, the nib is heat welded to the feed. You need to be a magician to clear one of those.

You can't get a Parker 45 or 21 ink buffer out to clear them.

The feed/nib units in the Platignum Silverline weren't made to take apart. An attempt would destroy them.

Use the ink in a throw-away pen. That way, you won't be disappointed.

Pterodactylus
June 16th, 2017, 03:33 PM

I don't know what pens you have and what their design characteristics are. If the particles settle as fast as you say, I wouldn't waste any of my pens on the ink. The feed system in a Sheaffer Snorkel has passages at right angles to each other. You would have a major project on hand to unplug one of those.

The same goes for the Sheaffer TipDip. There, the nib is heat welded to the feed. You need to be a magician to clear one of those.

You can't get a Parker 45 or 21 ink buffer out to clear them.

The feed/nib units in the Platignum Silverline weren't made to take apart. An attempt would destroy them.

Use the ink in a throw-away pen. That way, you won't be disappointed.

It seems you never wrote with a 1670 or shimmering ink yet.
The particles settle within a couple of seconds (less than a minute), a dip pen is not the right thing to write with those inks.

But in general there is no harm in using these inks.
You might get hard starts or a reduced ink flow from the particles depending on the pen but nothing a intensive flush session with plain water can't fix again.

I´m not scared to use them e.g. in my vintage Montblancs (which are not easy to disassemble).

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/683/22698731081_6bdb5566c1_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AzNVWr)
Show_response_782 (https://flic.kr/p/AzNVWr) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.flickr.com/photos/117783735@N07/), auf Flickr

(Montblanc 144 - BB ..... Diamine Blue Lightning)

inklord
June 16th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I use a TWSBI 580 M, that I've cut the feed on to be a bit wider. The pen is a fantastically wet writer now, and I haven't had any issues with the particles clogging the feed. I only use this pen with those inks as I can easily disassemble it to clean if I need to. Plus being a demo, I can see if the ink is well mixed when I pick it up to use it.

I'll second that - TWSBI Diamond 580/AL, Mini, Vac700, Vac mini... the nib units on those are inexpensive enough to 'hack' them, and you can instantly see the particle suspension rate.

Pterodactylus
June 16th, 2017, 03:47 PM
And another example using it in a Parallel pen.
You can see the particles also within the transparent section.
It take several flushes to get it out there again.
This is nasty, takes time, but not a tragedy.

These ink are effect inks, higher maintenance included. ;)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5707/22422111471_2615edbffd_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AanbyP)
Show_response_759 (https://flic.kr/p/AanbyP) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.flickr.com/photos/117783735@N07/), auf Flickr

(Pilot Parallel 1.5 ..... Diamine Blue Pearl)

catbert
June 16th, 2017, 10:27 PM
Noodler's Ahab works for me with sparkly inks, as do Pilot Parallels. A couple of Parallels eyedroppered right now with emerald of Chivor and stormy grey.

... I have heard, but have no experience (obviously), that there are some very juicy vintage nibs out there if one knows the right people (which kind of counts me out I suppose).

Really, really struggling with pens this year. Sold the Kullock 51 and now for the first time have no 51s in my very small collection.

Beyond that I have lost the nerve and/or confidence in buying anything vintage.

I have lucked into some juicy vintage nibs and I don't know anybody. Still, I wouldn't inflict glitter on vintage pens when there are plenty of interesting lower-maintenance inks out there.

Given some of the things you've said about 51s it's a wonder you want one at all.

Perhaps the confidence will return when you find a vintage pen you enjoy? It could happen. As ever, good luck.

Lady Onogaro
June 16th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I've used one of the Diamine glitter inks in a Jinhao pen. You might consider one of those (I wouldn't cry if it didn't come entirely clean of particles).

Empty_of_Clouds
June 16th, 2017, 10:38 PM
Probably go for a couple of Parallel pens - 1.5 and 2.4 should suffice I guess.

Parker 51s? Historical (or more recently, material) interest only.

I have four working vintage pens (and Dad's old unrestored Sheaffer snorkel that will have to stay unrestored). Consider myself rather lucky that the four I have are serviceable at least. Not great condition, but working as pens.

Confidence in the unseen, unknown seller of vintage pens? I've given too much money to that quest, and for very little return. No wish to get back in that pond. Have to accept that given my location it will have to be new pens from here on in. I am not so fortunate in my friends or circumstances as most of you here. No sweat. Just life.

lsmith42
June 16th, 2017, 10:50 PM

Parker 51s? Historical (or more recently, material) interest only.

I have four working vintage pens (and Dad's old unrestored Sheaffer snorkel that will have to stay unrestored). Consider myself rather lucky that the four I have are serviceable at least. Not great condition, but working as pens.

Confidence in the unseen, unknown seller of vintage pens? I've given too much money to that quest, and for very little return. No wish to get back in that pond. Have to accept that given my location it will have to be new pens from here on in. I am not so fortunate in my friends or circumstances as most of you here. No sweat. Just life.

You have a really nice 51 headed your way... I told Farmboy to spend a bit more quality time getting it just right before it leaves...

stub
June 16th, 2017, 11:12 PM
If i had any desire to try a sparkle ink I think I would maybe try it in a Platinym pen. A Cool, Plaisir, a Balance or even a 3776 since those can be dissasenbled entirely for cleaning. Plus the cartridge has an agitator ball in it so I think I might try syringe filling that and that wouldl keep the particles mixed pretty well. Plus all 3 of my 3776 are pretty wet writers.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 16th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Do you reckon it's worth springing (heh!) for a Platinum with a music nib? I am open to the idea of it as I have never seen a Platinum pen - of any type.

lsmith42, I am curious as to your association, but anyway. Connections, as I note above, are not something I have any luck with.

Given the state of the parts I sent, and the mismatches that abounded, I hadn't really expected anything out of the venture. Todd made some suggestions a month ago but I didn't really understand the way the options worked to be honest - remember, I am an uneducated person with no appreciable native intelligence - so I didn't choose any option.

catbert
June 16th, 2017, 11:47 PM

Yup. I find the 3.8 Parallel a bit big. Having an Ahab, Jinhao or similar with a round nib as well gives the option of writing 'normally', though I like an untipped italic in my Ahab.

Can't speak for the rest here but pretty much every pen I have, vintage or modern, has been a leap in the dark. Can vouch again for Teri at Peyton Street and Paolo at Zona900 (who fixed a couple of my unluckier eBay leaps, and sold me a couple he stands behind).

Pterodactylus
June 17th, 2017, 01:13 AM
Yeah, 3,8 and 6 are big, but I do not regret bought them, they are really fun.
Of course not as a daily writer.....

Empty_of_Clouds
June 17th, 2017, 01:17 AM
I guess it would be okay to run them through a stock Jowo nib unit? I have an old Ranga that is currently wearing a cursive italic nib, but I could go for another Indian pen to fit a big stub into. Just wondering if that is a better idea than either the 3776 music nib or a Pilot music nib.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 17th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Can't speak for the rest here but pretty much every pen I have, vintage or modern, has been a leap in the dark. Can vouch again for Teri at Peyton Street and Paolo at Zona900 (who fixed a couple of my unluckier eBay leaps, and sold me a couple he stands behind).

For new pens that is less of a risk in my estimation. After all you generally have a company backing up the sale.

stub
June 17th, 2017, 02:35 AM
I love the 3776 pen. The only non-vintage pen I own 3 of, though one I own is itself borderline vintage being one of the early ebonite feed "Gathered" pens (B nib) from the late 1970s. I also own a Sai with a glorious B nib. It was a display model but B nibs are inpossible to find, and indeed not even orderable here in Korea. I also have a Blue with an M nib. The M is more like an F to my way of thinking. It is also a great smooth wet writer. The feed and nib are friction fit so the nib, collar, feed all can be removed for thorough cleaning in a pinch. & as I noted the cartridge has the agitator ball. so I like to sometime syringe fill it, also I am short one converter as I have 3 pens but only 2 converters.

I have tried the Music nib and it is fantastic, the one I tried was wetter and broader than the B nibs I own (which are more like large Ms or slender B nibs, still perfectly usable on 7mm lined paper). But the Music nibs is quite abit more getus so I have never been able to pull the trigger but I would think that it would be perfect for the sparkely stuff and it is a true 2 slit 3 tine music nib.

The pen itself has and odd mystery about it. It is small and should be too small but just fit in my hand so well. It isn't tiny but I fear, based on your comments above you might find it too small. The celluloid ones are smaller so pretty as they are I would avoid those.

My Sai B nib pairs PERFECTLY with MB inks. I have had Unicef, JFK, Toffee, Royal Blue all in there and it is a match made in pen heaven.

da vinci
June 17th, 2017, 03:16 AM
I don't use the particle inks so I am hesitant to offer a suggestion. But anyway, I'll go for it!

Given that I don't think you will use a fill all in one go (?) perhaps something easy to dissemble to clean would be the way forward? Maybe an eye dropper of some kind?

I am just thinking of my CONID demo bulkfiller. If it wasn't for the fact it easily comes apart to clean I would almost be too paranoid to use it for fear of staining.

Good luck in your quest for the right pen.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 17th, 2017, 03:23 AM
Something for me to ponder I suppose, thanks. As for size, I understand the 3776 posts well, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

SIR
June 17th, 2017, 04:14 AM
The 3776 does post, but posting can scratch the barrel/body.

RocketRyan
June 17th, 2017, 05:44 AM
I have used a metro pop with a 1.0 stub and a safari with a 1.5 with glittery inks with no adverse effects.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 17th, 2017, 05:59 AM
I had originally planned to use the Ranga for this task, but this was predicated on having my Ghost Koi pen in my collection. I've tried to get that pen re-made, to no avail.

So, options then:

Pilot Parallel
Platinum 3776 music nib
Something with a Jowo stub nib in it.