PDA

View Full Version : Buying ink

Spideysgirl
June 17th, 2017, 02:40 PM
I'm sampling then buying bottles of the colors I like. Then sampling more inks and will do the same. The thing is when I buy the bottle I feel bad that I'm using ink from it. But I know that I can't use my pens without ink.

Chrissy
June 17th, 2017, 03:04 PM
I understand you. I don't like starting new bottles of ink, especially if it's something rare and difficult to obtain. But I usually get over it quite quickly. :)

SIR
June 17th, 2017, 04:03 PM
I have a 'few' that haven't touched paper, let alone sat in a pen unwritten for ages...

KrazyIvan
June 17th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Use it or lose it.

Paddler
June 17th, 2017, 06:00 PM
You bought it. It's yours. Enjoy it. Who deserves it more than you?

migo984
June 17th, 2017, 06:59 PM
I enjoy opening new bottles and I use all my inks, even the very rare irreplaceable ones. Ink is made to be used otherwise it's just pointless, an ornamental liquid.

Amanda
June 17th, 2017, 07:01 PM
Some inks deteriorate with time. Others evaporate. :cry:

grainweevil
June 18th, 2017, 01:50 AM
You'd have to physically restrain me from opening up a new bottle of ink - I wanna play! If it's not used it simply slowly evaporates away, and I don't see the fun in that at all.

Except maybe with Quink Washable Blue... ;)

Chrissy
June 18th, 2017, 11:23 AM
You'd have to physically restrain me from opening up a new bottle of ink - I wanna play! If it's not used it simply slowly evaporates away, and I don't see the fun in that at all.

I deliberately leave Quink Washable Blue out without it's cap on so that it will evaporate. ;)

stub
June 21st, 2017, 05:07 AM

I deliberately leave Quink Washable Blue out without it's cap on so that it will evaporate. ;)

Leave the cap on so you don't get any floaties in it, but loosen it.

Put on towel on top of DEhumidifier.

Put ink on top of towel.

Run humidifier for several hours.

If you don't believe me try it with water. It works. The fluid can also just be in close proximity and it will suck the water right out.

boop.

grainweevil
June 21st, 2017, 06:23 AM
I suspect it'd work even better with a dehumidifier. :D Must admit that had never occurred to me, and being in the damp southwest dehumidifiers are plentiful in Weevil Burrows.

stub
June 21st, 2017, 06:57 AM
I suspect it'd work even better with a dehumidifier. :

oops! that's what i meant indeed. thx.

Aurora
June 21st, 2017, 08:52 AM
The thing is when I buy the bottle I feel bad that I'm using ink from it.

Don't have a false reverence for the unopened ink bottle. In the sealed state, it has nothing to offer to you.

Once opened, you will derive the greatest pleasures from enjoying the tactile experience of writing with a fountain pen and seeing the ink flowing from the nib to the page with all the color, shades and sheen possibilities

Sammyo
June 21st, 2017, 09:23 PM
The thing is when I buy the bottle I feel bad that I'm using ink from it.
An unopened bottle of ink has no purpose, it's like buying food and leaving it to rot!
And if you buy some Private Reserve inks, they will smell the same too!!! :whip::jester::bolt:
Honestly, ink is only useful when it's used. If you want to look at pretty liquid in a bottle buy food colouring and add it to water, ink is for pens!! pens are nothing without ink!!!
We shall ink on the beaches, we shall ink on the landing grounds, we shall ink in the fields and in the streets, we shall ink in the hills...