PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Volcan FA nib

kevmid
June 17th, 2017, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience fitting a Pilot FA nib into any other pens and if so what number nib fits into what pen?
After reading a thread on FPN that deals with fitting FA nibs on vintage pens, I was interested to add one to a modern pen, preferably a Franklin-Christoph, but not sure if any number nib might fit.

Additionally, would anyone know if it is possible to buy any Pilot FA nib without a pen? I am keen to one but after a (not exhaustive) look around on the web I can only find them attached to Pilot pens. Thanks.

Vespagirl
June 17th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I have never tried this, but Goulet Pens did a video on this not too long ago:

https://youtu.be/rUkEeJN-PyA

According to Brian Goulet, an FA nib will not go into a Franklin-Christoph; ant least not very easily.

As far and I know, you cannot purchase Pilot nibs individually very easily.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inklord
June 18th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Franklin-Christoph is now offering JoWo Flex nibs, which, like the FA, are similar to a vintage semi-flex; it can be had with a European "fine" (more like a medium-broad in Japanese width gauges) or a very nice F-SIG (cursive italic) grind. The principle this nib is based on is similar to the FA nib with cutouts behind the "wings". This might be an alternative route to semi-flex in an F-C pen.

kevmid
June 18th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks Vespagirl. I was not holding out much hope. That video talks about the difference between western and Japanese nibs but not swapping them into other pens.

Good suggestion Inklord. I didn't know F-C were doing flex nibs, that must be a recent thing. Looks like a fairly decent variation from the writing samples.
Might give that a go as it does seem like a much easier way to go than trying the FA option.