PDA

View Full Version : Nested quotes are now operational!

dannzeman
April 22nd, 2013, 12:47 PM
What are nested quotes? Let me illustrate.

Previously, when quoting someone in a conversation who quoted someone else, your response would only only include the quote of the person who you're directly responding to and the previous quote would be lost, thus interrupting the conversation.

When I respond to Bogon by quoting his comment:

the comment he quoted would be lost:

With nested quotes now available, the first quote that Bogon responded to is included in my quoted reply:

The best part about this is that nothing different is required on your part. You still just hit the "Reply With Quote" button.

KrazyIvan
April 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
What are nested quotes? Let me illustrate.

Previously, when quoting someone in a conversation who quoted someone else, your response would only only include the quote of the person who you're directly responding to and the previous quote would be lost, thus interrupting the conversation.

When I respond to Bogon by quoting his comment:

the comment he quoted would be lost:

With nested quotes now available, the first quote that Bogon responded to is included in my quoted reply:

The best part about this is that nothing different is required on your part. You still just hit the "Reply With Quote" button.

Let the nested quote fun begin! Thank you sir.

caribbean_skye
April 22nd, 2013, 01:26 PM
Thanks!

Jon Szanto
April 22nd, 2013, 01:27 PM

Still some bugs to be worked out...

dannzeman
April 22nd, 2013, 01:39 PM

Still some bugs to be worked out...
It appears so.

jar
April 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
After much experience, I strongly suggest setting limits on how deep nesting will go.

dannzeman
April 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
After much experience, I strongly suggest setting limits on how deep nesting will go.
And what would that limit be? How would you determine that number?

caribbean_skye
April 22nd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Well I'd suggest that whoever is "replying with quote" be conscious of just how much they're quoting. All of it may be relevant or maybe the last part. I tend to <snip> mine (after hitting delete of course). But I guess it is no different than forwarding emails. Some people send ALL of the headers and some delete those.

jar
April 22nd, 2013, 02:55 PM
My experience has been that much deeper than three or four gets unwieldy.

KrazyIvan
April 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
My experience has been that much deeper than three or four gets unwieldy.

I would agree with that. Nesting already worked in the PM's and it eventually gets to where you cant read the PM because it turns into one long vertical line of text.

antbasic99
November 17th, 2022, 03:24 AM
Thanks for information :thank_you2:

Chrissy
November 17th, 2022, 04:12 AM
antbasic99 a spammer has resurrected all of these really old 2012 Site News announcement posts from Dan. The spammer has been reported.