PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Preppy

sokuban
June 21st, 2010, 06:16 AM
Ok, so my friend gave me a Platinum Preppy.

But now it doesn't work.

I put in the cartridge; no flow. Tried washing the section with water; got it to flow with washed out ink, but once the water went away it stopped flowing again.

I want to convert it into an eyedropper, but I figure it should work with a cartridge before I try that.

Any ideas?

EDIT: After messing with it a bit... it seems to work. But the ink colour is very washed out, I think there is still some water left in it, unless Platinum Black really sucks. I'll see what happens later.

EDIT2: Okay, I think it works now.

So what's the best way to eyedropper it? O-ring and silicone grease? Any little tips?

Kelly G
June 21st, 2010, 07:29 PM
I don't know about the fountain pen version but I've converted two Preppy Highlighters to ED status. I used the O-rings that I use for Sheaffer Touchdown's - they are a perfect fit. I also use 100% pure silicon grease on the barrel/section threads. The trick it to not tighten the barrel too much; the O-ring should only slightly compress. I have three of these in use all the time - one came with my Year of the Golden Pig highlighter ink. I also removed the plastic tube that covers the feed extension and I think serves to puncture the cart. I don't know if that was necessary but the one I received from Nathan had it removed so I did the other two as well.

mjh
June 22nd, 2010, 06:38 PM
JetPens has a how-to on it. http://www.jetpens.com/cms.php/content/Article:_How_to_Do_an_Eye_Dropper_Pen_Conversion

-MJ

Lowendall
August 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
This O Ring stuff could stand a bit of clarification, perhaps. Hello fellow geeks. I am going to bypass the stated and known and interject comments as I see fit, so please bear with me. If you go to jet pens, their instructions call for a #5 O ring and they are grossly mistaken. Check for yourself the size; it's way too small. Same goes for a #10, which will fit but it leaves a bulbous protrusion albeit not a real problem. The O Ring(s) that Noodler's supplies are small and fit well, very discretely. They are METRIC in size, 7.5mmID x 1mmc/s. I have been giving them away to any and ever one that asks for them for a couple of months and I've supplied both the #10, which is silicone, 1/4"ID x 3/8" OD x 1/16" c/s (thickness or cross section) as well as the metric ones, which in my most humble opinion are a better fit. The metrics are material Viton, most suitable and waay better than rubber.

I have done this under the same handle on the Fountain Pen Network (Lowendall) and in an effort to promote eye droppering further I continue to offer free no strings attached O rings with the obvious catch of please no dealers. I would like it if someone would send me ONE of the o rings that jet pens now sells...they were out of stock seemingly forever and that is what led me to this juncture. Now for the fine print. Send me your name and address and how many you'd like. My email is james.oshaughnessey@gmail.com or if you prefer to me, James O'Shaughnessey PO Box 35, Gasquet, CA 95543. There is really no need for a sase as it's no big deal. I am a geek! I can do this! thanks and push the envelope further; these eyedropppers are the cat's meow, think?

dannzeman
August 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Wow, Lowendall, that's a very generous offer! Anyone interested in converting their Preppys into eye-droppers should definitely take you up on this.

Sailor Kenshin
August 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I just love Preppys, and they seem to love me right back. Since I am not an ink- guzzler (lotsa inks, many colors) the carts suit me fine.

I've only gotten one iffy one and that was cured with a change of ink.

John the Monkey
August 12th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I bought a preppy with the idea of running Platinum's carbon black through it, thinking I wouldn't mind ruining such an inexpensive pen with the ink. Having tried it with the supplied cartridge, I'm loath to to this, as it's such a nice writer!

RE: the OP's query on the ink taking ages to come through, I think this is a known problem with the feed - it's slow to clean, and slow to take up ink, if I remember what I've read properly.

Sailor Kenshin
August 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Just dip it! In water, in other ink. The ink draws faster that way. ^^